6 foot 1, long torso, 30-32 inch inseam would you get 18 or 20 in frame hardtail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

6 foot 1, long torso, 30-32 inch inseam would you get 18 or 20 in frame hardtail?

Hey guys- I really need your help here-

Here's my stats:

6 foot 1
    210lbs
    32 inch inseam
    Nuts hang low

The frame I'm looking at:
    size 18 toptube 22.5
    size 20 toptube 23.25

I'm looking to get a hardtail frame for mellow xc riding. I used to have a Rocky Mountain Hammer that was a 19 that felt kinda large to me and I used to own a 2004 Redline monocog frame that I sorely miss and was believe it or not like a 16 inch frame- but they have a really long toptube so it felt just fine.

my question: Would you guys get the 18 or the 20?

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Hey I am 6'1 , long torso and arms but my measured inseam is 35"

Are you 30 - 32 in pants sizes or is that the actual measurement all the way up upyour leg ?

mtbr member
    A 22.5" top tube is way too short for someone your height with a long torso. Of those two choices you should go with the 23.25" top tube, but you still may prefer a longer frame (unless the seat tube angle is really steep).

For your body type, look for frames that have a long top tube with quite a bit of slope to it (to give you more stand-over).

Also, ignore the published frame sizes when comparing frames from different companies. What one company calls a 19" may have absolutely nothing to do what another company calls a 19".
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    A 22.5" top tube is way too short for someone your height with a long torso. Of those two choices you should go with the 23.25" top tube, but you still may prefer a longer frame (unless the seat tube angle is really steep).

For your body type, look for frames that have a long top tube with quite a bit of slope to it (to give you more stand-over).

Also, ignore the published frame sizes when comparing frames from different companies. What one company calls a 19" may have absolutely nothing to do what another company calls a 19".
    This. I am the opposite and I need to make sure the seat tube is long enough. Go with the longer top tube, shortish stem and wide bars. Wider bars will effectively lengthen the top tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am 6ft with a 33inch inseam (measure with a book against a wall between the legs and feet flat on the floor). I always road 18inch frames but just got a large 19inch frame with a 24.5inch top tube. For the first time it feels like I fit the bike even with a 110mm stem and wide bars. It came with a 90mm stem and offset seat post but I wanted a little more weight up front so went to a 0 offset seat post and a 110mm stem. Its perfect.
    2011 Kona unit with some carbon.

mtbr member
    18 all the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm 5-10, wear 32" inseam pants
    I like any size bike with a top tube of around 23.5"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm almost 6'3" with a 32" inseam. I've found that a 23" actual top tube or 24" virtual top tube fits me fairly well on the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0