mtbr member
    Dec 2004

5 Spot or Ellsworth Moment

I was all set to buy a 5 Spot, did a bit of reading on it and all the reviews were good. I just stoped at a shop that had a frame in stock to check it out. I was a little taken back with the finish on the bike and the crappy decals. I try and not make that a factor but when you are paying in the $2000.00 range for a frame it should look good to. The shop also had a built Ellsworth Moment that I took a spin on in the parking lot. Bike felt real good, rear end was a little active it had a coil Fox shock. The finish on the bike seem worlds better then the 5 spot. I am now leaning towards the moment with a air shock. Anybody ride both bikes? Any thought's on going with a coil verses air shock? I am 200 pounds like trail riding, 37 years old with a Motocross back ground. The coil shocks always feel better to me then the air but don't want to be sucking wind on the up hills.

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto44
    I was all set to buy a 5 Spot, did a bit of reading on it and all the reviews were good. I just stoped at a shop that had a frame in stock to check it out. I was a little taken back with the finish on the bike and the crappy decals. I try and not make that a factor but when you are paying in the $2000.00 range for a frame it should look good to. The shop also had a built Ellsworth Moment that I took a spin on in the parking lot. Bike felt real good, rear end was a little active it had a coil Fox shock. The finish on the bike seem worlds better then the 5 spot. I am now leaning towards the moment with a air shock. Anybody ride both bikes? Any thought's on going with a coil verses air shock? I am 200 pounds like trail riding, 37 years old with a Motocross back ground. The coil shocks always feel better to me then the air but don't want to be sucking wind on the up hills.
    The real question is: Do you want a bike built by Tony Ellsworth?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

No, that's not phonetic
    Moto, don't ask this question here. Go ask it on the Ellsworth board, and ask the same thing on the Turner board. Go hear the views from the people who own the bikes in question.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

2005 Titus Moto-Lite

ood. I just stoped at a shop that had a frame in stock to check it out. I was a little taken back with the finish on the bike and the crappy decals.
    It is a great alternative: it is arguabily built better than either a Turner or Ellsworths (great finish, and the rear is as strong as it gets and with maintanance free quad-bearings at the main pivot), it is built by a real bike builder (not outsourced like the brand bikes), serves the same purpose (5", adjustable to 4", with air or coil shock options, including FOX DHX) and it costs ... $500-$700 less

If it was out last year I would have bought it in a blink over anything else
    Last edited by Davide; 12-15-2004 at 12:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Davide: FYI, the Motolite is being outsourced to Kinesis (mind you, its still a hot bike at a nice price point...given the price of the motolite compared to its competitors, I think that outsourcing can be forgiven).
    Last edited by lushmd; 12-15-2004 at 12:22 AM. Reason: sp
    Chimay: nectar of the gods
    Macallan: sweet ambrosia

mtbr member

ah

Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    Davide: FYI, the Motolite is being outsourced to Kinesis (mind you, its still a hot bike at a nice price point...given the price of the motolite compared to its competitors, I think that outsourcing can be forgiven).
    Ops! Including the front? Still, as you say the side-by-side comparison with other outsourced bikes shows a great price point and a killer bike from very honest guys that build (some! ) of their bikes (you can get a truely costum Moto-Lite but it is $)
    Last edited by Davide; 12-15-2004 at 10:05 AM.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    Is only the motolite being outsourced??

Bodhisattva
    Correct. In order to keep the cost down, Titus is outsourcing the Moto-line to Kinesis and offering the frame in limited sizes which is a change of direction for Titus. One of their strongest suits has always been the wide range of frame size. If you look at the geometry you'll see that there are big jumps from one size to the next.
    Outsourcing the frame wouldn't sway me from buying a Moto.

To the original poster....Tscheezy nailed it. Do a little research before you buy. If you're an ex-motocross dude then also consider the Turner 6-Pack which is due for release next month. Details on the Turner website and the Turner forum.

One more suggestion for ya'....Ventana X-5. IMO has the best finish and the stiffest chasis out of the lot.

jrm
    mtbr member

The 05' 5 spot finishes

Are a step up. My 04's finish is pretty messed up but i dont really care to much what the bike looks like.

mtbr member

Coil

The coil shocks always feel better to me then the air but don't want to be sucking wind on the up hills.
    I am 148 pounds on a 5-spot and I use a ROMIC with titanium Spring: the weight difference to an air 250 grams and I really do not notice it ... at most you are looking at a 400 gr difference or about 0.4% of your body weight ...

PS and yes, the 5-spot is far from beeing well finished: it has a rough "industrial" look that some people like but it grows old (for me) after a while, certain details (like cable stops that seem toothpasted on, and the uneven soldering at the head tube) are quite regrettable for $1900
    Last edited by Davide; 12-16-2004 at 10:06 AM.

mtbr member
    The finish on my anodized 5-Spot is sweet. I second the dude above about the Motolite. It is going to be a sweet bike for $500 or so less than the Spot and $750 or so less than the Moment. But...... I thought I saw a deal of Beyond Bikes that gave a free Talas with a Moment frame purchase? That could be a huge factor.

The Ancient One
    The Moto-Lite is a waste of a Horst link. It will lack all the braking advantages of a Turner or Ellsworth and most of the pedaling advantages.

No, that's not phonetic
    Is that because it lacks an ICT sticker on the top tube?
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Is that because it lacks an ICT sticker on the top tube?
    Yes. Those stickers raise the pedal efficiency up to 100% or even higher!

However, even though they're put on to the top tube, they seem to weaken the seat tube.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

5 spot v. moment

5 spot-handsdown- it's a turner, not an ellsworth[less]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    he uneven soldering at the head tube) are quite regrettable for $1900
    Damn, I didn't know you could solder alumin(i)um.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve

mtbr member

Language

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    Damn, I didn't know you could solder alumin(i)um.
    thank you so much for the extremely useful reply. Welding in italian is "saldare", and there comes the translation to "soldering" (with the complicity of Italian being a phonetic language), and aluminum in Italian is "alluminio", so you see where the extra "i" comes from ... but sure, I rectify: "some of the welds on my 5-spot are of toothpaste quality". (I hope this is right in english, if not what I mean is:" those things where parts join look like dentifricio")

PS dentifricio = toothpaste
    Last edited by Davide; 12-17-2004 at 01:46 PM.