3" not enough for rear travel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

3" not enough for rear travel?

About to buy another fs frame and was thinking of the K2 Razorback with its 3" of rear travel (and carbon stays, for what it's worth). Is 3" pretty much in no-man's land when it comes to fs these days?

I have a bike with 5" rear but it's too much for my needs so I'm thinking 3" or 3.75" (NRS but I would like more active braking bump action and better climbing in the rough), but then I think 4" would be good but that's almost back up to 5" and I'd like to keep the frame light and stiff, thus the 3" leanings, but...

Basically, anyone with 4" wish you had less, or anyone with 3" wish you had more?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    well, if you want to use it for racing and xc, i would probably work great.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Team
    The razorback is a great bike for XC and climbing, I think it will be fine for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Climb, climb, climb on lots of loose rocks and dirts for what seems like hours on end, but then you get fast and serpentile singletrack descents mixed in with loose fireroads laced with small rocks. That's where the NRS let me down; the choppy downhills and the rolling rock uphills. Not a crazy freeride/dh jumper, but I am a road racer and a motocross racer so I come from both sides of the fence.

My back is so-so, but the 5" trailbike is way overkill.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by danK
    About to buy another fs frame and was thinking of the K2 Razorback with its 3" of rear travel (and carbon stays, for what it's worth). Is 3" pretty much in no-man's land when it comes to fs these days?

I have a bike with 5" rear but it's too much for my needs so I'm thinking 3" or 3.75" (NRS but I would like more active braking bump action and better climbing in the rough), but then I think 4" would be good but that's almost back up to 5" and I'd like to keep the frame light and stiff, thus the 3" leanings, but...

Basically, anyone with 4" wish you had less, or anyone with 3" wish you had more?
    Where do you live?
    What trails do you ride?
    How 'Plush' do you want the bike to be?
    How's your back?

I bought late last year a 3" travel machine. I like a short travel machine, I live in the midwest, I want a bike that takes the edge off and gives me some extra traction but doesn't ride like a couch.

So the Rocky Mountain works perfect for me.

Now if I lived where there were real mountains, fast fire roads, or traveled to ski areas on a regular basis this bike might not be the right one for me.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker

Two thoughts...

Climb, climb, climb on lots of loose rocks and dirts for what seems like hours on end, but then you get fast and serpentile singletrack descents mixed in with loose fireroads laced with small rocks. That's where the NRS let me down; the choppy downhills and the rolling rock uphills. Not a crazy freeride/dh jumper, but I am a road racer and a motocross racer so I come from both sides of the fence.

First is <b>IF</b> you sitll have the NRS have you considered a shock swap. There have been a few people who have said that the Cane Creek was a great shock to mate with the frame.

Second, sound like a good canidate for a true Horst linked 4 Bar. Most are inching up back towards the 4" mark. Lots of 3 1/2 inch bikes out there. Maybe look at Specialized, KHS, or if you can find one an '03 Jamis Dakar, or if you have the coin the Racer X (80 or 100mm). Reason I mention the horst link is it <b>should</b> be a bit better with a more active rear end. I know this could start a long complicated thread that I'm sure not to understand, but if you're noticing the choppy effect... it might work for you.

Good luck.

JmZ
    Last edited by JmZ; 05-06-2004 at 08:28 PM.
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

Team

what type of MX bike do you ride-I ride a KTMSX125

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    what type of MX bike do you ride-I ride a KTMSX125
    04 CRF450 and 04 CRF250R.
    And thanks for all the info. I just purchased an 04 K2 Razorback SL frame.
    http://www.k2bikes.com/04products/full/razorback_sl.asp
    Last edited by danK; 05-07-2004 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more info