29er Al vs. 26er steel hardtail- Mtbr.com

Jun 2007

29er Al vs. 26er steel hardtail

Hey all,

A friend is contemplating the purchase of a MTB for light-to-medium difficulty trails. He's considering a hardtail, either 26er Steel or 29er Aluminum, store bought. Some immediate options are Jamis for the steel and Marin for the Al.

I'm suggesting a 26er steel since it will be less fatiguing but others have stated that 29er Al would be comparable to the 26er steel in terms of ride quality and body stress. Suggested benefits of the 29er include ability to ride over rough spots more easily.

I'm curious what you guys think.

- impl0sif
    Last edited by impl0sif; 08-17-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Singletrack +1
    I'm not entirely sure this post makes sense..... Is the dude that big?
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

Jun 2007
    I should have originally posted it as 29'er vs. 26'er. My friend is 5"10 or 5"11

TLL

Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by impl0sif

I'm suggesting a 26er steel since it will be less fatiguing but others have stated that 29er Al would be comparable to the 26er steel in terms of ride quality and body stress. Suggested benefits of the 29er include ability to ride over rough spots more easily.

I'm curious what you guys think.

- impl0sif
    A 29er Alu HT can be just as stiff as a 26" alu, but since this depends a lot on the builder(s), geometry, etc. A 29er wheel does have a larger contact patch and does roll over some stuff more easily, leading 29er fanbois to conclude it is just like suspension. It is not. But it sure can feel like it. If your buddy wants a little extra give, have him go with a steel 29er. I had a Steel 29er and the ride was pretty compliant.

For certain types of riding, 29ers make a lot of sense.

Members who have read this thread: 0