2019 RSD Middle Child Thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

2019 RSD Middle Child Thoughts?

Hi! I am new to MTB and have been researching bikes for a couple months. I have narrowed it down to the RSD Middle Child. I was previously going back and forth bewteen the Santa Cruz Chameleon R+ and the Whyte 905, but there were a couple things I didn't like about each of those. The RSD MC seems to combine the things I liked most about each bike. It takes the short, adjustable chainstays and cool looks from the Chameleon and the slack HT angle/steep ST angle from the 905. The wheelbase and reach are right in between the two bikes which is what I wanted. Also, the components are much much better than both other bikes. And of course, it's steel, so it should be a smoother ride. The only thing I am worried about is the weight. It is 30.5lbs with a dropper, but I could take off about a pound if I put on a 2.6" recon and high roller II. The total price would be $2660 (after a 5% discount) which isn't that much more than the SC, which comes out to about $2500 w/ tax. So I have two questions:

1. What are your opinions on the RSD MC as an all mountain bike?
    2. Would you recommend swapping out the 2.8" minions with the tires I mentioned above?

• https://rsdbikes.com/portfolio/middlechild-cr-mo/
    • Main Features:
      • Chromoly Steel
      • HT angle: 64.5 degrees
      • ST angle: 74 degrees
      • Chainstay: 415 - 430
      • BB height: 320
      • Reach: 465 (large)
      • Wheelbase: 1203 (large)
      • Fork: Rockshox Pike RC 140mm
      • Cockpit: Raceface Turbine
      • Drivetrain: Shimano XT
      • Brakes: Shimano XT
      • Dropper: KS Lev Integra
      • Tires: Maxxis Minion DHF & DHR II sC Maxx Terra EXO TR (27.5" x 2.8")
      • Complete Bike Weight: 30.5 lbs

I

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    thats actually a really solid build spec on that bike. would get you a few years of progression and its always best to learn on a hardtail so you pay more attention to line choice. the minions are great tires, the only thing youd gain by switching them would be a little less weight and a little less rolling resistance, but more than likely youd lose a little grip in the corners. i say buy it and shred it
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I say go for it too! I just bought a Middle Child (bought frame and built it up). Hopefully I'll get it out this weekend and will let you know how it rides. I researched all-mountain hardtail frames for a while, and kept coming back to the RSD. That does look like a nice build spec too. You definitely won't need to upgrade things because they're not good enough. I also agree with trekninja: I'd leave the tires on there to start, and maybe switch the rear later to gain a little more speed. I'll be running a 2.6 Rekon rear and 2.5 DHF front.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Ok. My Middle Child should arrive tomorrow and my first ride will be on Tuesday. I'll definitely let you know how I like it! Definitely let me know what you think about yours as well!