2017 Salsa Timberjack 29 NX1 vs 2018 Trek Roscoe 7- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 Salsa Timberjack 29 NX1 vs 2018 Trek Roscoe 7

My trusty 2013 Trek Mamba was stolen a few weeks ago() and I'm looking at replacement options now.

My ideal budget is right at $1,000. Two bikes that have fallen into my sights are the 2017 Salsa Timberjack NX build, and the brand new 2018 Trek Roscoe 7.

Does anyone have any insight on these two bikes, or any other suggestions for what I could be looking at? I know my budget is fairly limiting. What I'm really looking for is a quality frame with a serviceable component spec that I can upgrade as I'm financially able to do so.

Thank in advance for any input.

mtbr member
    That Roscoe looks nice. However I would beg, borrow, steal or save up the extra $160 to get the Roscoe 8 over the 7. You get better components, fork and a dropper post for the extra cash.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Supposed to be a few options coming for Timberjacks - maybe hold off a little bit. The Roscoe 8 does look like a ton of fun.
    I wanna ride!

mtbr member
    Thank you both. I keep leaning towards Roscoe, partially because I've ridden Trek for years and moving up to the Roscoe 8 vs the 7 does give a noticeable spec upgrade. I saw that Dirtrag just recently got their test rig Roscoe 8, so I'll be keeping an eagle eye out for that review.

mtbr member
    At that cost. I'd save up a little more and get a Stache 5.
    More tire options, dropper, better fork. ( need to go to a LBS to see the specs)
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Can anyone clarify that the fork is actually better? I know that the 7 says it has a coil fork but rockshox judy webpage doesn't mention the coil sprung at all? I'm looking at the 7 or 8 myself... think I'll be calling my LBS today to discuss the fork. Will let everyone know... if the fork is air sprung, the only difference I can see would be the gearing and dropper?

Edit: and SRAM drivetrain on the 8.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls2ndblessing View Post
    Can anyone clarify that the fork is actually better? I know that the 7 says it has a coil fork but rockshox judy webpage doesn't mention the coil sprung at all? I'm looking at the 7 or 8 myself... think I'll be calling my LBS today to discuss the fork. Will let everyone know... if the fork is air sprung, the only difference I can see would be the gearing and dropper?

Can't speak to the fork but the dropper post alone is worth the additional $160, IMO.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member

I had the same questions as you on the fork. I would bet that the coil-Judy is an OEM-only part that isn't listed on the Rockshox website; let us know if you get any info from your LBS on that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'd go for the Salsa. Shorter chainstay is nice. But the seat tube angle is what sells me. The trek has a 71 vs Salsa has 73.5 this keeps the front down on climbs and if you use a dropper the seat dosent move as far forward. Which is great if you only want to drop an inch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    At that cost. I'd save up a little more and get a Stache 5.
    More tire options, dropper, better fork. ( need to go to a LBS to see the specs)
    I am really trying to keep closer to my original $1k budget. I can stretch a bit to consider the Roscoe 8, but the Stache 5 is effectively $600 over my ideal budget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    I'd go for the Salsa. Shorter chainstay is nice. But the seat tube angle is what sells me. The trek has a 71 vs Salsa has 73.5 this keeps the front down on climbs and if you use a dropper the seat dosent move as far forward. Which is great if you only want to drop an inch.
    I love the salsa timberland from the looks of it, problem I have is the closest dang salsa dealer is 6+ hours away and my LBS is a trek dealer and are going to help me out a bit so it's a sell for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Check View Post
    I had the same questions as you on the fork. I would bet that the coil-Judy is an OEM-only part that isn't listed on the Rockshox website; let us know if you get any info from your LBS on that.
    You are correct sir, talked to my LBS, they confirmed with bike in hand it's a Judy OEM coil sprung. They don't have a Roscoe 8 Large in stock so they ordered one for me, should be available end of week next week.

I am really trying to keep closer to my original $1k budget. I can stretch a bit to consider the Roscoe 8, but the Stache 5 is effectively $600 over my ideal budget.
    I'm in the same boat, wife has approved a certain amount and my LBS is helping me out with a trade in to help with costs. Hoping to have a newbikeday and first Roscoe 8 ride by end of next week.

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat, wife has approved a certain amount and my LBS is helping me out with a trade in to help with costs. Hoping to have a newbikeday and first Roscoe 8 ride by end of next week.
    Congrats! Share some pics and first ride opinions when you can

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks, I absolutely will be sharing, I hopped on a medium yesterday, I typically ride large so it was a bit cramped but still felt like a comfortable riding position for longer rides. Definitely felt more relaxed than my 13' Camber Comp FSR that I'm trying to sell. Typical riding for me will be trail, greenways, and some technical mountain so I'll be curious how it rides on each... it's going to be a better all-rounder than my FS and that's what I'm happy about so far as I just don't ride as much tech and DH as I used too.
    Last edited by Pauls2ndblessing; 08-11-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: misspelled word

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Picked up my large framed Roscoe 8, weighed her on my way out.. little hefty considering I've gone tubeless and added 376g flats she was hovering around 31.10#... new fork, stem, and bars will drop that considerably at a later date. Took her home and pulled all the reflectors off, won't be that much of a difference though. Lowered the tire pressure to 15-front and 16ish-back, hopped on and took her down to some trails close to the house. 11-42 shifts extremely well, I've not rode for 2 years but believe it won't take long to get used to the 11-42 and could save weight if I stay in 42 range instead of 46 range when upgrading later.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 29 NX1 vs 2018 Trek Roscoe 7-resize.jpg

The geo feels nice, comfortable during tight turns but haven't got to test it downhill yet, trails today are more technical rocky riding with steady climbs and descents not too fast and I'm also not very familiar with them and had a 45 min time limit due... I wish I had an entire day! Bike felt comfortable on slick rocky muddy terrain, much more stable than my old 29x2.2s, the tubeless setup is definitely easier rolling than the medium frame I demo'd at the LBS first with tubes.
    2017 Salsa Timberjack 29 NX1 vs 2018 Trek Roscoe 7-20170817_171752.jpg

Judy fork it to be determined, it seemed fine today but think I can get it dialed in more. As my first dropper post I can definitely see where I can take advantage of it. Brakes are TBD, will have more time to ride this weekend and I can't wait.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Salsa Timberjack 29 NX1 vs 2018 Trek Roscoe 7-resize2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bike looks absolutely incredible to me, personally I love that orange color. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your first ride. I'm leaning heavily towards the Roscoe now, and I think I'll put up the extra coin to get the 8 over the 7. Enjoy the new ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Bike looks absolutely incredible to me, personally I love that orange color. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your first ride. I'm leaning heavily towards the Roscoe now, and I think I'll put up the extra coin to get the 8 over the 7. Enjoy the new ride!
    I think you'll thank yourself later for saving the extra $150-160, the dropper, airfork, and surprisingly well shifting NX (wasn't expecting this) really makes the extra cash worth it and if you were to put the parts on yourself would spend more than the extra leap money from the 7 to 8.

The orange looks brilliant, even better in person, thanks for looking!!

mtbr member
    I guess it's time to give this thread a happy ending - Purchased my Roscoe 8 this past Sunday, and took it out on my go to trail yesterday.

2017 Salsa Timberjack 29 NX1 vs 2018 Trek Roscoe 7-roscoe.jpg

First of all, this bike features many firsts for me - first 1x, first air fork, first dropper, first + tires - so I don't really have much to compare to from a review perspective. I can say, that I'm in love with just about everything on this bike.

It took me a little bit to get used to a 1x system, but it does shift quite well. The 11x42 cassette gives a wide range of gearing, but as I get stronger I could see the 28-tooth chainring leaving me wanting more on the top end.

I instantly felt comfortable on this bike. My trail had a decent mix of some steep technical climbs, short technical descents and some flowy descents too, and even a small drop or two. The traction from these fat tires is relentless on the climbs. I admittedly don't have much comparison with the Judy being my first air fork, but it felt great going through some chunky downhill sections, as well as on the (admittedly not the biggest but still substantial) drops on this particular trail. Having a dropper post has changed my life; this alone to me is definitely worth the extra cost for the 8 over the 7.

I do feel the brakes will be the first upgrade I make. They're serviceable for now, but I'll want a bit more stopping power for sure.

All and all, I am thrilled with this bike. Thanks to everyone who offered an opinion and helped in this decision, I can't wait to spend more time with this beauty on the trail!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I guess it's time to give this thread a happy ending - Purchased my Roscoe 8 this past Sunday, and took it out on my go to trail yesterday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roscoe.jpg 
Views:	13262 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	1156164

First of all, this bike features many firsts for me - first 1x, first air fork, first dropper, first + tires - so I don't really have much to compare to from a review perspective. I can say, that I'm in love with just about everything on this bike.

It took me a little bit to get used to a 1x system, but it does shift quite well. The 11x42 cassette gives a wide range of gearing, but as I get stronger I could see the 28-tooth chainring leaving me wanting more on the top end.

I instantly felt comfortable on this bike. My trail had a decent mix of some steep technical climbs, short technical descents and some flowy descents too, and even a small drop or two. The traction from these fat tires is relentless on the climbs. I admittedly don't have much comparison with the Judy being my first air fork, but it felt great going through some chunky downhill sections, as well as on the (admittedly not the biggest but still substantial) drops on this particular trail. Having a dropper post has changed my life; this alone to me is definitely worth the extra cost for the 8 over the 7.

I do feel the brakes will be the first upgrade I make. They're serviceable for now, but I'll want a bit more stopping power for sure.

All and all, I am thrilled with this bike. Thanks to everyone who offered an opinion and helped in this decision, I can't wait to spend more time with this beauty on the trail!
    Great pic and review, glad you're enjoying your roscoe as much as I am mine. This bike is comfortable for long rides, has enough squish to feel grippy and confident on downhill chunk, and has a great value per dollar in my opinion. Enjoy the bike! Super solid bike for anyone looking for a fun hardtail that will eat any terrain put on it's plate!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk