2011 Trek 3500?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 2011 Trek 3500?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2011 Trek 3500?

Hi everyone... ah, my first official post. So I need everyone's opinion on a bike. Sorry if I'm bringing up a dead topic.

I use to ride all the time when I was a kid growing up. It was the only way we got around. But that was long before we got our drivers license. Now I'm 30, and want to get back in the game.

I'm hoping to ride about 3 times a week for about 5 to 10 miles each time when I start. Looking for primarily exercise purposes at first. Mostly on flat hardtop pavement, possibly some dirt roads. No heavy trail riding, nothing too crazy. I'm 30, 6'1" and 210 pounds. Not trying to go hardcore or anything.

I was looking at the Trek 3500. From what I understand it's a well built beginners bike. And since I am not riding constantly, or hardcore about it yet, I did not want to spend over $400. For a beginner, and for what I'm using it for, can anyone give advice as to whether or not this is a good purchase?

Freshly Fujified

Welcome to the fun house!

Glad to see you've joined the community. To answer your question directly and simply, yes, the Trek 3500 is a good beginners bike. Is it the best way to spend $400 on your first bike? That's debatable.

Generally speaking, when you're talking bikes in this price range, anything brand new is going to have the lowest end components and design characteristics. I think your money would be better spend purchasing a leftover 2009 or 2010 model (if available) or a used bike.

Craigslist is packed with good used bikes, many of which are for sale by people who had the best of intentions when they bought their bike, but only rode it a handful of times before the owner lost interest and put it in the garage or basement only to collect dust. These bikes have plenty of life left in them and can be had at a fraction of their original cost. So, your $400 (I say stretch it to $500, the difference in what you can get used at $500 could be significant in a used bike) couild conceivably buy you a near new bike worth twice what you paid for it.

I hope this helps.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm in the same boat too. ^^ Good idea
    2007 Rocky Mountain Slayer 30

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Do not buy a used bike unless it's from the shop! Unless you know what you are looking at, how to fit a bit properly, and the used one fits you perfectly, you are much better off having the expertise and support of a good local bike shop. They will fit the bike, provide warranty support, give tuneups, and you won't have to worry about worn out parts or major headaches that can ring up a large bill in a hurry. For example: a worn out drivetrain will easily cost you $100 to fix for a cheap setup. Unless you know how to check that, you are taking a huge risk. Go to your local shops, see if you can find last year's model, and choose the bike that fits you best at the shop that fits you best.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I bought a 3500 about six weeks ago and have been riding it hard ever since. I'm a big guy (5'10", 225), am 37, and have been very happy with the bike's performance. I bought a rock shox recon air-fork, but it is otherwise stock. I've crashed it a few times, and it keeps going. No regrets, go for it.