2010 GF Big Sur Build: Criticism Needed.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2010 GF Big Sur Build: Criticism Needed.

Well. After a year of good riding I'm handing off my Moto 500HT to a buddy for cheap and building up a No-Nonsense Hardtail that I'll have for awhile. I'm not very big into racing although I might give it a go on my college team next season. Mostly long fun rides on typical Northeast Terrain. Lots of rocks, lots of roots, diverse soil composition, and some mud and water here and there.

Its primary use will be to cover distance efficiently and reliably. I want to see as much as possible and get as lost as possible on any given ride. I don't want anything that'll break down. I'm not rough on my bike, but I do like to challenge myself. Max drops will be 3' and that's extremely rare. Usually 1-2'.

I'm 6', about a 33.5, 34" inseam with shoes and have above average arm length. I weigh about 150lb. My other hobbies are jeeping, fishing, and boating, so this can't be stupid expensive. I do have a lot of the stuff from the Moto, but any advice on components owned or not is appreciated.

Build Plan(Edited):

Frame: 2010 Gary Fisher Big Sur 19"

Drivetrain:
    -Crank:TruVativ Style 1.1 GXP
    -Chain: Sram PC-991 CrossStep
    -Cassette: Sram PG-990 11-34
    -Derailleur: Shimano SLX Medium Cage
    -Pedals-: Time Atac Alium
    -N-Gear Jump Stop

Suspension:(Not purchased or owned yet)
    -Option 1: RS Recon Race Solo Air White with Aluminum Steerer and Enduro Seals added
    (A little heavy, but I appreciate the solo air simplicity and heavier usually means tougher. Not that its terribly heavy at 1755 grams, Bike Radar's review called it simplistic, a very good performer, and very good bang for the buck and that's what I'm after.)
    -Option 2: RS Reba Race Dual Air
    -Option 3: Fox Series 32 F100 RL: (If its worth it. I'll get it. But, if I'll just be drinking the kool aid, I'll stick to RS)

Controls:
    -Brake Levers: Avid Speed Dial 7
    -Shifter: Sram Attack 9 Speed
    -Handle Bar/Stem: Sette Vector Flat Bar/Venn 90mm Stem ($20, 300g, & good reviews. Why not?) (Not purchased or owned yet)
    -Headset: FSA Orbit Z
    -Seat Post: Truvativ Team 2 Bolt w/25mm offset
    -Seat Clamp: Syntace Superlock (Not purchased or owned yet)
    -Seat: WTB Rocket V Race
    -Grips: Sette Foam (Worth a shot for $5) (Not purchased or owned yet)
    -Cables: Jagwire Ripcord

Brakes:
    -Avid BB7s 160mm Front and Rear

Wheelset: (Not purchased or owned yet)
    -Rims: Mavic 717 Black
    -Hubs: Hope Pro II Black
    -Spokes: DT Swiss Comp 2.0/1.8 Double Butted Black
    -Nips: DT Swiss Black Alloy

Tires:
    -2.25 Maxxis Crossmark Kevlar
    -Tubes: WTB Lightweight Presta 2.2-2.5

Conservative weight estimates put it right around 26.25 lbs or so. Not bad considering the not so fancy crank with a 1/8" steel plate bolted to it, my one pound pedals, and lack of anything carbon or titanium. Should still take a beating too.

Thank you very much for the feedback!
    Last edited by sailsurf7713; 05-12-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    SRAM PG970 cassette will tear up either the Hope or BWW rear freehub body because they are made of aluminum. You should get a PG 990 or an XT cassette that has the top 6 cogs on an alloy carrier.

Besides that, I would either use a Shimano shifter with the SLX derailleur or use SRAM X.9 or X.7 shifter and rear med cage derailleur.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    SRAM PG970 cassette will tear up either the Hope or BWW rear freehub body because they are made of aluminum. You should get a PG 990 or an XT cassette that has the top 6 cogs on an alloy carrier.

Besides that, I would either use a Shimano shifter with the SLX derailleur or use SRAM X.9 or X.7 shifter and rear med cage derailleur.
    Would have never thought of the cassette. Thank you!

The Sram Attack shifter is pretty nice. Its 2:1 actuation. I'm running it with the SLX right now. I've considered getting an XT shifter though so I'll keep that in mind.

Any more faults in my plan?

mtbr member
    PG990 will still do some damage to to hope hub which I just found out, but only with the 4 smallest cogs.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03
    PG990 will still do some damage to to hope hub which I just found out, but only with the 4 smallest cogs.
    11-32 will be smallest 4, 11-34 will be smallest 3

Yes, those smaller cogs will bite in as well (I am not a fan of alloy freehub bodies myself because of this) BUT, the larger the cog, the more mechanical force it produces. The larger cogs will bite in far more than those last few small cogs.

AZ
    banned
    Make sure the cassette lockring is adequately tightened to minimize damage to the hub .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Alright, what if I change choice 2:

Rim: Pure XCR
    Front Hub: Shimano XT (Little heavy, but inexpensive and basically bomb proof)
    Rear Hub: DT Swiss 340 (Steel freehub I believe, also bomb proof)
    Spokes: DT 2.0/1.8
    Nips: DT Alloy

Weighs in at just over 1800g. Same price as the Hope Pro 2 / Mavic 717, including the cost of the new cassette, but I end up with a lesser cassette and a heavier, but tougher hub out back.

Or I could do both XT. Much less expensive, but the reviews on the XT rears concerns me a lot.
    Last edited by sailsurf7713; 05-11-2010 at 07:41 PM.

Former Bike Wrench
    XT also has the six largest cogs on an alloy carrier for the 11-34, like AZ.MTNS mentioned if you keep things tight it will help. As far as options in the same price range, the new American Classic hubs use steel inserts in three of the splines on the alloy FH Body to prevent the dig in...they cost similar to the Hope hubs.

Eat me.
    Jun 2006
    Laced some Hope Pro IIs to Mavic 717s 3 years ago - used an XT cassette and the cogs not on the carrier will chew the freehub body. Though I recently downgraded the weight by getting the steel freehub from CRC - about 75 g heavier, not a big deal, hubs still going strong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FooFighter
    Laced some Hope Pro IIs to Mavic 717s 3 years ago - used an XT cassette and the cogs not on the carrier will chew the freehub body. Though I recently downgraded the weight by getting the steel freehub from CRC - about 75 g heavier, not a big deal, hubs still going strong.
    Good to know they're quite reliable. I e-mailed CRC to see when they expect more hubs. Hopefully they'll get back to me. If its within a reasonable amount of time I'll go that route and see if they can just toss the aluminum freehub and replace it with the steel one right away. It'll still be a real nice, light wheelset for under 400 dollars. Can't go wrong there.

First order of business when I have my M.E. Degree or before for that matter: design a reliable hub that doesn't cost way too much or break because its trying to be light on a budget .

In the meanwhile my WTB SpeedDisc AMs with entry level of entry level formula hubs are getting the job done in a proficient and economical manner.

AKA Dr.Nob
    I would personly get Mavic 819 rims and go tubeless
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbymark
    I would personly get Mavic 819 rims and go tubeless
    I may convert with stan's if I get heavy into racing, however I mostly ride, just to ride. If I blow out a tube, I replace it in 10 minutes and keep going. If I blow a tire, maybe I can plug it, maybe I can't. Tube's make more sense for my current riding habits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You might also consider doing the proper G2 fork. You can get a number of different G2 forks aftermarket through a Fisher dealer or secondhand on eBay. It really works well with the G2 frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eric1115
    You might also consider doing the proper G2 fork. You can get a number of different G2 forks aftermarket through a Fisher dealer or secondhand on eBay. It really works well with the G2 frames.
    Thank you, I actually meant to ask that and it escaped my mind. I'll be ordering the fork from the bike shop as its the biggest purchase and I would like to support business in my state. I'll ask about getting one of my fork selections with the G2 offset.

Members who have read this thread: 0