2007 Specialized FSR Expert vs. Santa Cruz Blur LT vs. Santa Cruz Nomad- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2007 Specialized FSR Expert vs. Santa Cruz Blur LT vs. Santa Cruz Nomad

I live in Park City, Utah. I ride up the mountain...I ride down the mountain...I ride all around the mountain. I need a new bike. I've done some homework and narrowed it down to 3 bikes. The Santa Cruz Nomad, the Blur LT & the 2007 Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert. What is your opinion...I'd love to know?! Thanks.
    Last edited by pebblyb; 08-18-2006 at 08:33 PM.

Feb 2004
    If you ride more on the agressive side, then definately get the Nomad. I love the way mine eats up most anything. If you ride more on the XC side, then the Blur LT or Stumpy are both great bikes. The Stumpjumper will feel more supple on the small bumps, but the Blur will take the rougher hits a bit better.

Just my $0.02

ride hard take risks
    Get the real deal Nomad

mtbr member
    I agree with hbfrdh1. The FSR is going to feel softer on small bumps because it is fully active (always working). Also, it has trail tune on the brain, which makes it very nice to have. The VPP is not, so on uphills, you are going to feel the small bumps because the whole VPP design is that the rear wheel is virtually locked out. The Nomad is going to give you more confidence on dhs and jumps. So, personaly, I would go with the nomad...
    Last edited by Stumpy_Steve; 08-19-2006 at 01:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    So, personaly, I would go with
    good choice, i also went with

There's no app for this.

just went down that road

bought the Stumpy for a few reasons: 4+ lb. lighter than the Nomad and less $ also. Main reason was I could test the Stumpy on a real ride in the real woods on a trail I knew was tough; the Nomad would have been purchased after only a parking lot ride.

I don't doubt they are all great bikes, but the Stumpy is doing me well on the North Shore in Vancouver on the harder trails and very small drops. I use a big bike for bigger, dumber things

Good luck it's a tough choice these days.

Jim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    bought the Stumpy for a few reasons: 4+ lb. lighter than the Nomad and less $ also. Main reason was I could test the Stumpy on a real ride in the real woods on a trail I knew was tough; the Nomad would have been purchased after only a parking lot ride.

I don't doubt they are all great bikes, but the Stumpy is doing me well on the North Shore in Vancouver on the harder trails and very small drops. I use a big bike for bigger, dumber things

Good luck it's a tough choice these days.

Jim
    Which Stumpy did you buy? I'm liking the set-up on the Expert.

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

I just put my order through for the expert today. I think it is around 3200, but comes w/ XO, the brain, and talas rl. Sweet

There's no app for this.

I bought the

2006 Comp and upgraded it to '06 Expert by changing the cranks/cassette to XT, and the shifters to X9. Shop did that at no cost to me. The Fox float doesn't have the TALAS feature but I don't need it personally. Why the Comp? In Canada, the Expert is a powdercoat crappy fire engine red, not silver like the US. When I tried to order from just over the border, the Experts were all in lime green, I suspect the remnant so the '06 test bikes. Ugh. The Comp here is anodized blue, which I like better. I know, pretty shallow, but heck, gotta look at it for a long time.

Jim

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Stumpy flaws

What sort of flaws have you Stumpy owners noticed, if any?

There's no app for this.

hardly any

I don't know the American spec for it, but my Comp needed crank/cassette upgrade to XT and Shimano shifters to SRAM X9, but that's personal preference. The tires are OK, I'm told the compound is harder than it should be, but they stick to the ground fine for me.

I can't fault anything except the colour available in Canada, but that won't affect you. The bike rides extremely well and is balanced far better than I expected.

I say all this coming off an 03 Enduro for 2 years, and on 6 years of big bikes like 2 SC Bullits and now a ridiculous Knolly VTach which I love, but I may kill myself riding on. (over my head).

Good luck, the good news is bad bikes are hard to find, Jim

mtbr member
    Those are great bikes to choose from. I'd get the Nomad. It's a great all-mountain bike. My second choice would be the Blur. The Specialized FSR is much like my Intense Tracer which use the FSR design which Specialize patent.

MTB_extremist
    I sit with the same issues and the answers you guys give does make things as clear as mud. Final word I think correct me if I am wrong:"Blur LT better if you like technical downhill and XC, Nomad for XXX stuff and Stumjumper for XC type riding"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    ...a ridiculous Knolly VTach which I love, but I may kill myself riding on. (over my head).
    What a great way to go!

mtbr member
    Great bikes you have narrowed down to. Have you considered the RM Slayer or the Intense 6.6?

Members who have read this thread: 0