2006 or wait for 2007- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

2006 or wait for 2007

Hi,

I'm looking to purchasing a new bike in the $400 to $500 range, but I keep on wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait a couple of months for the 2007 models to come out.

2006 Pros:
    Cheaper
    Can upgrade in 6 months with the money saved.

2007 Pros:
    Most likely will be more expensive.
    Will not have to upgrade for a while.

I'm gong crazy trying to decide and in the mean while I have this itch to ride that I can't scratch.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
    -Mark.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    There shouldn't be a big change in the $400 to $500 level bicycles.

To put your mind at ease, look for '07 catalogues or brochures and see if the brand / model you like changed substantially. If it's just the paint and some small parts, wait a few weeks and buy a discounted '06.

Freshly Fujified

Buy the 2006

I say wait a bit until the 2006 bikes go on clearance. This will stretch your dollar. As for the 2007 bikes not needing to be upgraded, I'm not sure of your logic. It would seem that you believe the 2007 bikes will have better components for the same price. If this is your logic, my personal opinion is that it's doubtful. Given rising gas prices, this means the cost of most components as well as labor, shipping and other associated costs will probably go up. Many bike swill actually be "dumbed down" as a result. In essence, the same model bike for 2006 will likely be better spec'd than the same 2007 model. Either that, or the list price will rise on the bike to keep up with rising costs.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

naI
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    You don't want to buy a bike thinking, "I'm going to upgrade this soon after I get it." Then it's not money well spent.

I'm REALLY not a big fan of waiting. I went out and got a hardrock friday. Couldn't wait..
    Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but you can't help but chuckle when you see them fall down a flight of stairs...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey,

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've decided to get a Gary Fisher Parana. It has everything that I'm looking for and I don't see myself upgrading any of the components for a while. It also felt the best out of all the bikes I tried.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Ok thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0