mtbr member
    Sep 2018

2005 Bianchi Lynx MTB w/Judy Fork - upgrade or buy new?

Thinking of joining my older teenage sons on their rides. I use a road bike primarily now. I have a 2005 Bianchi Lynx in the garage that I used to a few years back for light mtb rides. It is in decent condition, but my sons tell me I should consider getting a full-suspension bike or a newer hardtail with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels and a stiffer shock.

I was thinking about simply upgrading the Bianchi, which has 26 inch wheels, because I am only 56 tall and concerned that a bike with a bigger wheelset might be a bit challenging at my age (55 years; soon to be 56). Thought I could upgrade the front fork and maybe the disk brakes (currently Hayes MX2).

Is it worthwhile to upgrade my Bianchi or better to purchase new. If the first, any suggestions on the fork that would headset or on brakes. If I am to purchase, what should I think about? Thx.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale84 View Post
    Thinking of joining my older teenage sons on their rides. I use a road bike primarily now. I have a 2005 Bianchi Lynx in the garage that I used to a few years back for light mtb rides. It is in decent condition, but my sons tell me I should consider getting a full-suspension bike or a newer hardtail with 27.5 or 29 inch wheels and a stiffer shock.

I was thinking about simply upgrading the Bianchi, which has 26 inch wheels, because I am only 56 tall and concerned that a bike with a bigger wheelset might be a bit challenging at my age (55 years; soon to be 56). Thought I could upgrade the front fork and maybe the disk brakes (currently Hayes MX2).

Is it worthwhile to upgrade my Bianchi or better to purchase new. If the first, any suggestions on the fork that would headset or on brakes. If I am to purchase, what should I think about? Thx.
    It depends where you ride. My wife still has a 1996 Bianchi Grizzly Super RC that she refuses to give up. Fantastic bike but it gets quickly out of place on modern fast trails and it not nearly as comfortable on 2 hour jaunts.

If you are just going on paths or dirt roads, and can ride it as is, I would do it. Otherwise, you may find it costs 300-500 to get new forks put on and other updates. At that point, it is WAY more cost effective to just get a "new" bike, even if it is on ebay or craigslist.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale84 View Post
    ...the Bianchi, which has 26 inch wheels, because I am only 56 tall and concerned that a bike with a bigger wheelset might be a bit challenging at my age (55 years; soon to be 56)...
    My wife and I got new 29ers a few years ago after selling our 2004 26ers. She's 5'6" and 'm 5'9". Before getting them we went for a few test rides on familiar trails. It was night and day. Of course we're not 55. We're in our mid 60s. If we were in our mid 50s, we might have gotten hard tails.
    Do the math.