2004 Trek Fuel 100 - still decent by todays standards?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

2004 Trek Fuel 100 - still decent by todays standards?

Hi,
    I am trying to decide what to do with my '04 Fuel 100 frame. It was a warranty replacement for an 03 that cracked so all the parts were carried over from the 03. Almost all the parts are shot drivetrain wise, i bent a rim on the bontrager race lites, its a mess. So its been sitting a couple years and i was planning on rebuilding it, but im not sure its worth it. Excluding wheels i was figuring about 5-600 for parts but now i see the rear shock is crap. It wont hold air and the stanchion is worn. So add another couple hundred for the rear shock in and im getting close to 1000.

Is this frame still decent where its worth that price? Or should i dump it cheap and spend the money towards something newer, maybe with disc mounts which this doesnt have

Hard to justify spending a thousand fixing up a bike that sells for around that much as a complete used bike

Thanks in advance.

Wrench
    If it was just the drivetrain, I'd replace it with a solid XT groupset and give it life.

If it was just the rear shock, I'd throw on a new RP23.

If it was just the race-lights, I'd ditch them for a quality Stans build. Nothing fancy, just light and strong.

But since it's all of that? You may be best off selling what you can from it and then putting that money toward a new bike.

I have personal experience with this. I tore my derailleur off my Santa Cruz Superlight from 2004 recently in a race. The bike had some parts with over 3.5k miles on them. I had to replace the entire swing-arm and most of the drive-train. I figured it was time for an upgrade, so I built up a Blur XCc instead.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Buying all those components could cost as much as a new bike. Unless you can get a great deal on all those parts and you absolutely love the frame, then its not really worth it. Especially since it isn't even disc compatible.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, thats kind of what i was thinking. Just threw it on ebay. Will think about something newer possibly with disc brakes and either full suspension again or maybe a 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The new Fuel is a great bike. The old
    Fuel not so much.

Members who have read this thread: 0