2004 Jamis Durango SX- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

2004 Jamis Durango SX

I'm in the market for my first "real" bike and after about 2 weeks of research I think I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Durango SX. It's right at my budget price point and comes with what appears to be a good combination of components.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of the all important test ride as the nearest Jamis dealer does not have them in stock.

Anyone out there that owns/has ridden the '04 than can give me some feedback on the bike?

Specs:

FRAME:
    7005 triple gauge aluminum main tubes, S-bend stays, gussetted down tube, replaceable derailleur hanger, international disc brake mount.
    FORK: Manitou Axel Comp, 80mm travel.
    HEADSET: Aheadset, STS-2K, 1 1/8.
    WHEELSET: Alex TD-17 disc rims, 32H, with Formula Hi-Lo front and rear disc hubs, 14g stainless steel spokes.
    TIRES: Hutchinson Mosquito 26 x 2.0, wire bead.
    DERAILLEURS: Shimano Deore rear, Deore front 31.8mm top swing/top pull front.
    SHIFTERS: Shimano Deore, Rapidfire-SL, 27-speed.
    CHAIN: KMC Z-9200.
    FREEWHEEL: Shimano HG50-9, 9-speed, 11-32.
    CRANKSET: TruVativ 5D, 44/32/22, 170mm (12-14), 175mm (17-21).
    BOTTOM BRACKET: TruVativ sealed cartridge, 68 x 113mm.
    PEDALS: ATB platform, steel cage/resin body, with toe clips.
    BRAKESET: Hayes HMX-2 cable-actuated disc brakes front and rear, Avid FR-1 levers.
    HANDLEBAR: ATB Riser, alloy, 6 x 20mm rise x 620mm
    STEM: Jamis alloy threadless, 90mm x 10 (12), 105mm x 10 (14-17), 120mm x 10 (19-21).
    GRIPS: Kraton dual compound
    SEATPOST: Alloy micro-adjust, 350mm x 27.2mm alloy clamp & QR seatpin.
    SADDLE: WTB Speed V Comp with SL top and steel rails.
    WEIGHT: 27.00 lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Alareth; 02-12-2004 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Added bike specs

Mar 2004
    I just test rode this bike. I really like it. Although, I tried the 2003 model, I think the only difference is the 2004 comes with the disc brakes, whereas the 2003 only has the mounts for the brakes. I don't know if the 2004 has stupid toe strap/clip things, but the pedals are annoying, but not so annoying that you're going to end up hating it. I think I'll just put in pedals from one of my old bikes if I got it. Everything else on the bike is fine. Ah, this was a message from long ago...so maybe you've already got one

Feb 2004
    No, I haven't gotten anything yet unfortunately. I'm in the process of a slight financial setback resulting from suprise unemployment

Mar 2004
    Wooo...I just bought the bike and rode it all the way home. I have to say, that overall, the bike seems to be a great value. It's actually pretty light to ride, pretty maneuverable, and shifts really well. LIke I said before, the toe clips are a bit on the annoying side and tomorrow, I'm going to take those out and replace them with pedals from another bike. The seat is a little hard (like it says in the reviews on this website), but again, it's something that won't be too much to replace (I'll just replace it with one of my other bike seats). Because the shop that sells this bike is really, really far away from home, I thought it'd take me at least an hour to get home, but I did it in about 45 minutes, which would've been about the same time I would've spent in a car due to the rush hour traffic. I got to try it out on lots of hills on the way back, so I can say it feels really light to ride it. I'm very pleased with the bike right now. It started to rain on the way back too, so I even got to test out the regular V-brakes. Stopped really nicely, so I'm guessing with your Hayes disc brakes, you'll have no problem in the wet and muddy. I can't wait to ride this bike again...I guess I'll be in this honeymoon phase for a while...but whatever, I like the red and white colouring...it reminds me of a) Canada or b) Japan. Ah, I'm Chinese, it's close enough to Japan.

Jul 2009

I have got this bike!

hi,

i have owned this bike for about 1/2 a year and i can tell you this bike is tough. It has handled 4x tracks rocky downhill trails and backyard stunts.
    Bike Description:
    i'm a pretty tall guy so i have a large frame, the colour is grey,and it has Tektro Disc brakes and shimano deor. Like someone said these pedals are hopeless and i would seriously reccommend them the be replace.

otherwise this bike is great. try go hunting on ebay.... you might find one of these lurking around for a good price.