2003 Specialized Epic Disk- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2003 Specialized Epic Disk

Someone is selling this bike and I am looking at it tonight. Assuming it is in good shape what do you think a fair asking price is? It is a size large and red, sold new in 2003 for $2400

mtbr member
    It's hard to say without knowing what components are on it. $5-600 maybe?
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    sorry, I meant to include this link

http://bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeS...Disc&Type=bike

mtbr member
    I would probably go a little bit higher maybe in the $600-$700. I dont think many Epics would go for less than $600 mostly because its an "Epic". Specialized tends to fit a little small so if you are 601 or taller you might need to look at the XL. A six year old FS bike can get pretty well trashed so take a good look at worn rotors, leaking shocks etc.

So much for my guess on pricing. If its this one at $475 just go buy it. He has it at a pretty decent price in my opinion for an Epic. I dont think the bike is going to last all that long if its in decent shape. He could probably disassemble the bike and sell the fork and frame for $475.
    http://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/1449806731.html
    Last edited by borregokid; 11-04-2009 at 12:11 PM.

mtbr member
    I sold my 2003 S-Works Epic frame and the Fox F100x for $600. A complete, non S-Works bike should be worth about the same I would think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    I would probably go a little bit higher maybe in the $600-$700. I dont think many Epics would go for less than $600 mostly because its an "Epic". Specialized tends to fit a little small so if you are 601 or taller you might need to look at the XL. A six year old FS bike can get pretty well trashed so take a good look at worn rotors, leaking shocks etc.

So much for my guess on pricing. If its this one at $475 just go buy it. He has it at a pretty decent price in my opinion for an Epic. I dont think the bike is going to last all that long if its in decent shape. He could probably disassemble the bike and sell the fork and frame for $475.
    http://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/1449806731.html
    Yup, that's the one. I am checking it out tonight, and as long as nothing is majorly wrong I plan on picking it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just picked it up. Paid $420 for it. Guy took good care of it. Had the rear shock and brain replaced 3 years ago, chain cassette and fork service last winter. Brakes feel great and besides a few scratches looks good. Even has a Thomson Elite seat post on it which is a nice bonus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tristan86
    Just picked it up. Paid $420 for it. Guy took good care of it. Had the rear shock and brain replaced 3 years ago, chain cassette and fork service last winter. Brakes feel great and besides a few scratches looks good. Even has a Thomson Elite seat post on it which is a nice bonus.
    Well don't be shy! Post some pictures!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It was already dark when I got it. I will take some tomorrow and post em.

The sad thing is a can't ride it because I am still recovering from a broken wrist

mtbr member

You definity got a deal

You practically stole the bike!!!. Thats the deal of the year around here. Although coming out of Connecticut and a couple of other areas around the country like the San Francisco Bay Area where there is a little more money and lots of bikes its not a total steal but everywhere else it is. When someone takes pretty good care of a bike usually you can ride the crap out of it for 2-4 months. Around my town $420 is big bucks...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    You practically stole the bike!!!. Thats the deal of the year around here. Although coming out of Connecticut and a couple of other areas around the country like the San Francisco Bay Area where there is a little more money and lots of bikes its not a total steal but everywhere else it is. When someone takes pretty good care of a bike usually you can ride the crap out of it for 2-4 months. Around my town $420 is big bucks...

I think it does help when people are upgrading bikes, this guy didn't seem to concerned with getting a great price for it. He just bought a new Epic Expert, so money obviously isn't a huge concern to him.

I can't imagine getting a better bike for the money. Now to wait a month or so to ride it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Bought a used 2003 Epic off craigslist for $500 a few months ago. I stripped older parts and sold them. Here's a before and after pic of mine. I love it....
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice bike mmanue09!

Here are the pics as promised.

mtbr member
    Nice bike mmanue09!

Here are the pics as promised.

Looks like a good ride, especially for what you paid for it. The only reason I got rid of my 03 was because I got an 09. Nice find!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Very nice. I think you def. got your money's worth. A little tip for that chain suck problem (I see the paint off the chainstay) is I used 2 zip ties and placed the nuckles to prevent chainsuck. Works like a charm.... and cost like what = $2. Oh yeah, if the pivot bearings need to be changed go for the enduro max ones. They are sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    Very nice. I think you def. got your money's worth. A little tip for that chain suck problem (I see the paint off the chainstay) is I used 2 zip ties and placed the nuckles to prevent chainsuck. Works like a charm.... and cost like what = $2. Oh yeah, if the pivot bearings need to be changed go for the enduro max ones. They are sweet!
    Looking at yours has me thinking about upgrading. What size fork did you put on your? What is the maximum size fork you would put on this frame?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    100mm Reba SL, 90mm 0 deg thompson stem, and easton monkey lite bar. Its a little different than the pic but my current set up is perfect for me. In the picture I had 95mm 6 deg race face stem with race face ride bar and I had troubles with the front bouncing a little on short very steep climbs. Even with me sitting on the very nose of the seat I had problems. The 2003 was made with an 80mm fork but now my cockpit is set up correctly and don't have any issues with a 100mm fork. I think anything more than 100mm might not be a good idea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09
    100mm Reba SL, 90mm 0 deg thompson stem, and easton monkey lite bar. Its a little different than the pic but my current set up is perfect for me. In the picture I had 95mm 6 deg race face stem with race face ride bar and I had troubles with the front bouncing a little on short very steep climbs. Even with me sitting on the very nose of the seat I had problems. The 2003 was made with an 80mm fork but now my cockpit is set up correctly and don't have any issues with a 100mm fork. I think anything more than 100mm might not be a good idea.
    Thanks. I am going to ride it as is for the time being. But down the road I might upgrade a few things

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    No problem. Probably good idea cause what's you start the madness it won't stop

mtbr member
    Bought a used 2003 Epic off craigslist for $500 a few months ago. I stripped older parts and sold them. Here's a before and after pic of mine. I love it....
    how did you get that polished paint job, looks great.....

Members who have read this thread: 0