2 F A T 4 Carbon??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2 F A T 4 Carbon??

Hey, I\'m also thinking of changing to a couple carbon components. I would appreciate some opinions. I\'ve read a bunch of horror stories about carbon, then a bunch that say it\'s ok. Let me tell you more about myself and riding style.
    I\'m an athletic 240lb build
    My bike is full suspension (so I assume the suspension absorbs some of the impact)

I\'m considering mainly a carbon bar and a carbon seat post. Will my weight break the seat post and/or bars?

About 80% of my riding is commuting But as I live in Vietnam, the roads are not always smooth. A lot of holes, sometimes rocky or dirt roads, and jumping up on sidewalks etc.

I do some urban riding a few hours a week. By this I mean I ride around a shopping mall that\'s under construction and ride down the steps, try doing some bunny hops and 180\'s and I\'m trying to learn how to wheelie like a pro!! It\'s difficult!

And lastly I\'m not exactly sure what XC is, but to me it\'s like a road bike, only I\'m using my MTB. In other words, going on long trips cross country, or from city to city, touring around and seeing new things, new towns, new villages, and occasionally finding paths/trails and following them to explore. Sometimes I\'m on paved roads, sometimes they\'re dirt. To me this is cross country. I do this. Am I wrong?

No downhills here, no \"freeride\" and unless I go insane I don\'t think there are any 4 or 5 foot drops in my future. Maybe 2 ft max off a curb?

Will my riding style and weight allow me to go with carbon? In doing the wheelies there is a lot of pulling up on the bars and coming back down, any problems?

And if I have the choice in my new Bel Air SDG seat, do I go with Titanium rails or Cro Moly? Ti is lighter, but will they bend under me?

Thanks

T.W.O.
    Unless there's weight limit by the manufacture, you should be fine, lots of big brands are reliable enough as I've not had any issue with any bars or post, although now I use adj seatpost.

Why do you want to go carbon? Is it for looks or function? If you are doing a lot of commuting on the road and not racing on your FS bike then you don't need one as you don't feel the weight difference. Not to mention that there are a lot of light Aluminum bar that weight about the same at half the price.

Members who have read this thread: 0