1999 Jamis Komodo for $500 or fix up 1998 Voodoo Bantu?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

1999 Jamis Komodo for $500 or fix up 1998 Voodoo Bantu?

Hi,

What would you do given the option of:

1. Buy a used 1999 Jamis Komodo for $500?

2. Replace components on existing 1998 Voodoo Bantu.

If 2, what are the best upgrades with a $300 budget?

Goal: a very lightweight bike that will be used for mostly city riding with the occasional trail ride. I'm ~5' tall with about a 26" standover, so I want a small frame. They don't seem to make them anymore.

Thanks for the help.

Life Is Short
    Both of ideas are bad IMO. The people who sponsor this page sell good new bikes that are inexpensive, your price range, and they ship free. Now get away from those turn of the century crap on wheels.

Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM MTN and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension and 29er Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com
    Cheap people buy things twice

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The issue I have with new bikes is that it's hard to find 26" in 13" or smaller frame. The Jamis is a 13" frame and the Voodoo I've had since new and is a very small frame as well. I'd prefer a steel frame for forgiveness, so if you can recommend a good entry level steel frame, it would be great. I can upgrade the components later on.

Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Both of ideas are bad IMO. The people who sponsor this page sell good new bikes that are inexpensive, your price range, and they ship free. Now get away from those turn of the century crap on wheels.

Save up to 60% off Mountain Bikes, All Mountain Bikes, Full Suspension SRAM MTN and Shimano Mountain Bikes and Hardtail Front Suspension and 29er Mountain Bikes from Bikesdirect.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Also, the Voodoo is ~26lbs which is pretty light compared to any entry level bike I can get nowadays. I might just fix up the Voodo unless I can find a softer riding steel frame what is reasonably light. Any suggestions for a steel frame in the 13" range?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Based on $$$ you want to spend and what you plan on riding. both come in a 13" 26er with steel frame.
    Troll | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Instigator 2.0 | Bikes | Surly Bikes

IMO, the OP's bike choices aren't bad bikes, and it really comes down to what you want from them for vs. how much you like them. If you already have the VooDoo, and you like it, I'd keep riding it. For the intended purpose, stock configuration almost gets you there, but with under $100 in parts, it'll get be fine. Have to shop around to get these, but easily done with a little effort. Clean up the shifters and derailure, regrease the hubs, and ride.

Steel rigid fork off Nashbar for $50
    New cables and housings, $20
    New brake pads, $10
    New tires, $20

If you really want a suspension fork and the stock fork is toast (cannot be rebuilt), you start getting into more money because it's difficult to find quality forks with v-brake posts (rockshox XC30 for about $120 or lower quality suntour XCM for $80) unless you start looking at new wheels too. Once you get into that realm, it's worth looking at a new bike.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Cycologist
    $500 for a '99 Komodo is a lot unless it already has a lot of new higher end components on it, and since it is a 26er, straight steer tube etc, the parts probably aren't too new. $500 is a lot for a bike that old. On the Voodoo, you really need to access what it needs and decide if it is worth putting the money into it.

So for the most part, I agree with watts above, though I'm not sure what you'll get tire wise for $10 per, heavy cheap wire beads I guess. So if you like the Voodoo and can get it to what you want for around $100, that sounds like the way to go to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Life Is Short
    Ok obviously you didn't read the page, so I cannot help you. You are one of those ppl that "already made up their mind to what they want to do" but want ppl to give them alternatives inwhich won't follow anyway.

They offer front suspension hard tail 26erson 13" frames for 329.99. Motobecane bikes arent bad. Steel isnt usually lighter than aluminum, thats why Coke doesnt come in a tin can. Why throw good money into bad, for that price you'll have a new entry level bike.

mtbr member
    Ok obviously you didn't read the page, so I cannot help you.
    Don't get mean. And I don't need to read the page because I know exactly what it says. I've got 3 BD bikes at home and have bought 4 more over the years. I know exactly what they are, and in this case, what they are not. They do offer some 13" frames, but in the $300-400 range, these bikes will weight upwards of 30 pounds. And they come with the lovely Suntour XCT fork (which isn't). For commuting with light trails added in, I'd much rather have a 20 year old bike of quality components and a rigid steel fork. In time, one of the upper level motobecane fantom's would be good, but those are difficult to get in a 26" wheel size and 13" frame.

I will shamelessly plug this one, just because I think it's a cool bike. An awful lot like the diamondback Mason, and it comes in 13". Unfortunately, that's still a really big bike for someone 5' tall. 26.5" standover.
    Save Up to 60% Off Plus FREE SHIP 48 STATES ON ALL BICYCLES FREE SHIP* Motobecane NEW Fantom 27.5 PLUS X7 27.5 PLUS Wheelsize Bicycles, Fat Bikes, Mountain Bikes
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

Life Is Short
    ...WATTS...wasnt directed to YOU man, the OP! LOL

and seriously like on another thread, money is a BIG FACTOR on weight and the OP says he/she has only $500 bucks. Thats about a carbon handlebar, XT cassette, XT rear derailleur and WTB saddle on sale. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I have a Fox DHX2 coiled rear shock that weighs a ton and I would LOVE to have a new Fox Float X Kashima piggyback but $549.00 is in the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Voodoo all the way, I still use a 1991 Kona Lava Dome from time to time, brilliant bike. Still running the old DX parts from the era, don't replace it if it isn't broken just service, replace the cables, bottom bracket, bearings, regrease everything and put new tyres on it you will be surprised how much of different bike it will be.

My Kona does quicker times on Strava runs in the city than my roadie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Hi,

I did read the page. The only bikes that would seem to fit me well are the women's Mercier and Motobecane. These look decent but does anyone know the weight? I bought a woman's Jamis 2013 Trail X2 which fits OK, but weighs considerably more than my Voodoo. It rides slow and stable whereas the Voodoo feels light and nimble in comaparison.

How much would I be able to lighten these bikes and what ould the cost be?

The Vodoo needs some work, It needs a strip and new powdercoat (~$200) and many of the parts have rust, although it still rides but needs new cables and a tune.

So the question is, would I get a better bike if I drop about $500 on new paint and parts for the Voodoo or on a new bike? If I get a new bike, I'd prefer a steel frame as it is a littl more compliant. I'd also swap out the suspension fork for a lighter rigid fork.

Ok obviously you didn't read the page, so I cannot help you. You are one of those ppl that "already made up their mind to what they want to do" but want ppl to give them alternatives inwhich won't follow anyway.

They offer front suspension hard tail 26erson 13" frames for 329.99. Motobecane bikes arent bad. Steel isnt usually lighter than aluminum, thats why Coke doesnt come in a tin can. Why throw good money into bad, for that price you'll have a new entry level bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I checked out the Surlys earlier and eventhough they have xsmall frame sizes, the standover height is 28"+. I measured mine at about 26". I'm not sure how much 2" makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Based on $$$ you want to spend and what you plan on riding. both come in a 13" 26er with steel frame.
    Troll | Bikes | Surly Bikes
    Instigator 2.0 | Bikes | Surly Bikes

IMO, the OP's bike choices aren't bad bikes, and it really comes down to what you want from them for vs. how much you like them. If you already have the VooDoo, and you like it, I'd keep riding it. For the intended purpose, stock configuration almost gets you there, but with under $100 in parts, it'll get be fine. Have to shop around to get these, but easily done with a little effort. Clean up the shifters and derailure, regrease the hubs, and ride.

Steel rigid fork off Nashbar for $50
    New cables and housings, $20
    New brake pads, $10
    New tires, $20

If you really want a suspension fork and the stock fork is toast (cannot be rebuilt), you start getting into more money because it's difficult to find quality forks with v-brake posts (rockshox XC30 for about $120 or lower quality suntour XCM for $80) unless you start looking at new wheels too. Once you get into that realm, it's worth looking at a new bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    OK, so I'm looking at the Motobecane 400 HT 13" and Gravity 27FIVE SS. Does anyone know the weight on these bikes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Sorry, skip the Gravity. I was thinking single front chainring and not single speed.

mtbr member
    This reminds me that I just rode my 1997 VooDoo last weekend and had a lot of fun with it. The Marzocchi Z2 on it still works great even.

It was a very different experience from my newer trail bike, but quite cool in its own way. Anyone who thinks that you can't have fun on an older bike is probably too young to have had that experience.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I ended up buying the Komodo. I was Able to knock off $100 from the asking price. It's a little lighter than the Voodoo and much lighter than any entry level bike I'll get for $400. The parts are older, but lots of XTR and XT components that still work well. I've been riding it around Acadia National park and it's pretty fast and nimble on the hard trails. I'll look to upgrade the wheels and cables next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    This reminds me that I just rode my 1997 VooDoo last weekend and had a lot of fun with it. The Marzocchi Z2 on it still works great even.

It was a very different experience from my newer trail bike, but quite cool in its own way. Anyone who thinks that you can't have fun on an older bike is probably too young to have had that experience.