16" bikes for little kids- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

16" bikes for little kids

I am looking into bikes for my niece who is almost 5. I was hoping to find something that is lightweight and good enough quality to be passed along to her younger sister. I was looking at this http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/backtrail-z16.php It says it is 22 pounds, which doesn't seem that light to me, but much better than some others I've looked at. I also am considering specialized hotrock 16", anyone know a weight on that model? Thanks!

not so super...
    The Haro bikes are nice. My 5yr old son has the Mirra 360. No coaster brake on this model but he adapted to the handbrakes very quickly. Don't get too concerned with weight on kids bikes. They do quite well regardless of the weight.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bike sizes...

Quote Originally Posted by beegirl
    I am looking into bikes for my niece who is almost 5. I was hoping to find something that is lightweight and good enough quality to be passed along to her younger sister. I was looking at this http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/backtrail-z16.php It says it is 22 pounds, which doesn't seem that light to me, but much better than some others I've looked at. I also am considering specialized hotrock 16", anyone know a weight on that model? Thanks!
    are measured in inches and are generally from the top of the top tube(or top of the seat tube) to the center of the bottom bracket(axle for the pedal arms/cranks). So when you say a size 16" that's about a medium for adults. What you refer to are probably tire diameters and should be referred to as such if you want to avoid confusion. It's not much different than referring to your daughters age by her shoe size.

mtbr member

more questions (16" wheels)

So I went to a LBS that carries Haro bikes. The Mirra is a more than I had in mind at $259.95, the backtrail z16 is $159.95, closer to budget. How does this look http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47...SHP_CYCLING_SA
    Think it's any good? Thanks for the tips, any advice is appreciated.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    Quote Originally Posted by beegirl
    So I went to a LBS that carries Haro bikes. The Mirra is a more than I had in mind at $259.95, the backtrail z16 is $159.95, closer to budget. How does this look http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/47...SHP_CYCLING_SA
    Think it's any good? Thanks for the tips, any advice is appreciated.
    I recently picked up a 16" Giant Animator for my 4-year old. Very solid bike, and it was just under $100 at Performance. I can't imagine spening more than that for a bike your kid is going to outgrow and abuse (throwing it down in the driveway, etc.). I have 3 boys and I expect the Giant to be around for #2 and #3 when they are ready.

not so super...
    Wow, that's kinda steep for the Mirra. I think I paid $189. I'd go with the backtrails bike. Does she need training wheels? If so, get the most sturdy set (non walmart) you can find and make sure they provide a wide base for stability.

The one thing I've noticed about kids bikes is crank length has a wide range. My son has no problems getting his Haro up the biggest hills both on and off-road because it has longer crank arms. Alot of his friends ride dept store bikes that have very short crank arms and they have a hard time gettting the power down.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wouldn't spend too much on a 16" bike. The kid is barely using the thing at that point. My 4 yr old is on the old "Barbie" bike with training wheels. Doing great at it! She is the last of 3 girls to use the Pink 2 wheeler and it has held up great!

My 6 yr old is on a 20" Raleigh. Pretty basic bike still and she is starting to feel the heavy weight. She also wants more gears (currently 7 sp) so she can climb better.

The 9 yr old is on the 24" Specialzed. This is the bike that was worth putting some money into. 21 speed, aluminum, etc.

Bottom line, not worth investing definitely on the 16" bike.....perhaps some for the 20"......definitely on the 24". On the smaller bikes, the most important thing is that the CHILD likes the bike. If they don't like the looks of it, they won't ride it as much. Even though it's a tank, they still need to think it's pretty (for a girl) or cool (for a boy). That will keep them interested in biking.

22-23 lbs are pretty light for a kids bike. I found several 24" bikes that were 30+ lbs. Pretty heavy stuff! Our A1 24" Specialized is around 22-23 lbs. Very noticable.

Good luck!

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in CO
    I wouldn't spend too much on a 16" bike. The kid is barely using the thing at that point.
    What??? Not sure I agree with that statement. My 5yr is trail riding the 16" bike he got for his 4th b-day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in CO
    On the smaller bikes, the most important thing is that the CHILD likes the bike. If they don't like the looks of it, they won't ride it as much. Even though it's a tank, they still need to think it's pretty (for a girl) or cool (for a boy). That will keep them interested in biking.
    This I do agree with. They need to like it.
    Nothing to see here.

Shreddin the Cul de Sac

Don't spend the money! Recycle...

I have an 8yr old and a 5yr old. We have bikes all over the place, some new, some hand me down, some picked up by the side of the road.

I got my son a brand new specialized hotrock 16" for his 5th B-day bribe (drop the training wheels and you get a new bike).

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=11534

Yes he loved it - for about 3 weeks. The next-door neighbors handed us down another 16" Dyno mini bmx type bike - the one in the avatar that he rides more often. There is one more 16" in the garage right now too - an old dept store model - I have no idea where it came from. We have friends and family who drop off old bikes that they pick up various places knowing that I can't keep my hands off bikes.

And yes they will outgrow it in one season.

There are so many little sidewalk bikes hanging around in peoples garages, yard sales, fleas markets etc. It seems a shame to let them go to waste. Seriously. The kids don't care, they just pick one up and ride. color and looks are more important than anything else.

Check out yard sales, flea markets, craigslist in your local community for used bikes. And put the work out where you work. I'll bet you find people willing to give you their kid's outgrown bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    What??? Not sure I agree with that statement. My 5yr is trail riding the 16" bike he got for his 4th b-day.

This I do agree with. They need to like it.
    Last edited by Burpee; 04-27-2005 at 12:46 PM. Reason: just cuz
    keep moving

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    [QUOTE=SSINGA]What??? Not sure I agree with that statement. My 5yr is trail riding the 16" bike he got for his 4th b-day.

Sorry, I was referring to my 4 yr old still with training wheels. When my middle daughter was 5, she was also riding everywhere with that Barbie bike and did quite well with it (sidewalks or dirt).

I moved her to a bigger bike (around 5-1/2 or 6) when her pedal rotations were going so fast that it started throwing her balance off. She wanted to keep up but was limited by the 16" wheels.