mtbr member
    Dec 2004

1000 doller question??

Ok so this has been asked lots!! Im down to 3 bikes in this price range that i think might do me the trick, I want a bike that can be an allrounder, I want to get in shape so i need to be able to do some distance riding, love the flat trails!! I want something to get me around town, not a comuter but just something that i can take on erends instead of jumping in the car all the time to post letters etc. I want to ride in the woods roots, up hill, down hill you name it i will be in the woods lots. And small DH stuff no fancy hucking just a bit of rough DH stuff. and of course it has to look good!!
    Ive narrowed it down to these 3.

1.Gary Fisher Tassajara disc .(1150) Nice looking bike, ok comps, looks good for road,dirt road etc. but dont look like it can handle a mountain

2.Brodie Hellion.(999) Love the look a bit more hardcore looking. Nice strong bike, good for DH and more mountain, but will it climb and run the flater stuff ok for a longer ride.

3. specialized rockhopper comp disc(1150) Yet to try this one out, bike stores dont like this one as it dont sell they tell me, every one goes for the hardrock. again the comps are all basically the same but i like the look of this bike too. read a little on this and says that its an allrounder, but more to the crosscountry which is ok but i think that i need a little strengh.

There's no app for this.

you asked...

In Vancouver, GF bikes of XC breed won't last, that's why you see very few of them.

Specialized: stick to the burlier models, not the XC ones, although at least they have a lifetime warranty. and John henry will treat you well.

Brodie: designed in Vancouver and made for the 'shore and won't break; but have a lifetime warranty. That's the one.

No 1 bike will do it all here, you may need 2, but if you only get one, get the one that suits what you ride the most. If you cruise UBC and Kits all day, skip a Brodie. If you love the local trails, it's Brodie, hands down. So what if you huff and puff on a few flat excursions?

Jim

at least i admit it
    D-O-L-L-A-R

I hate to be an ass, but it is what I do best...
    go outside and play

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I was thinking the same way!! I think that the Brodie will suit my needs better than a light weight bike and it 150 dollArs cheaper. The wife has a marin hawk hill that i can snag anytime i feel like hittin the tarmac.
    as for the spelling, you know what ive lived here in bc for 5 years and cant believe i cant even spell its currency. we say quids in where im from!! (-: