09 Specialized rockhopper comp disc vs rockhopper expert disc- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

09 Specialized rockhopper comp disc vs rockhopper expert disc

Hey everyone, I'm kinda a noob to the sport and am looking to get my second bike, I bought my first bike 4 years ago-a Giant Yukon which was stolen from my garage a month later, hence still a noob. I was looking at the Rockhopper comp disc 750$ vs the expert disc 1050$ and was wondering if the extra 300$ for the expert would benefit me in the long run, as far as components, brakes, and fork and so on. Looking to pick it up next week, any other suggestions on any bikes in this price range are welcomed. thanks

Comp Disc
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=38430&eid=107

Expert Disc
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...=39224&eid=107

Apr 2009
    I just ordered a Rockhopper Expert Disk myself.

The Expert has a big upgrade in the fork, a decent upgrade in drivetrain (and a change from SRAM to Shimano). You go from mechanical disk brakes to hydraulic.
    And... the expert has better color choices, IMO!

I was able to pick mine up for $900+ tax so the extra $150 was definitely worth it for me.
    My LBS sells the bike normally for $1000 and Memorial Day weekend they were doing a 10% sale. Well, I wanted to rent the rockhopper and get it on the trails to see how it fit for me but it was raining memorial day weekend. I got it the following weekend and when I returned it I said that if they would extend the 10% discount that I would but it right away. They agreed and I made the purchase.

I should be getting it this weekend!

So, in short, the Expert is a good upgrade in my opinion and if you can talk them down a bit it is very much worth it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I think it is a wash at the prices you listed. You could almost but the upgraded parts for $300 maybe $400 online. The Tora has steel stanchions but it is an air fork.
    FWIW, you can get a set of juicy 3's online for about 120 a set and you can get a Recon race for about $350, x9 front and rear for $100. Just to give you an idea of what it would cost if you upgrade as you wear parts out.

I'd say if you think you'll beat the bike up, buy the cheaper model and upgrade as you break things. That way, you can upgrade over time to better parts than what comes on the higher model. Also, make sure that you don't end up wanting a $2k bike in 2 years... would be better to buy the cheaper one in that case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thanks for the help guys, both of you make some good points. I do like the silver color the expert comes in, but not sure about the hydraulic brakes (Tektro Auriga Comp) being better than the mechanical avid BB5's. I heard they leak alot and are higher maintence. It does make a sense to buy the comp if i'm planning on upgrading in the near future though, however not sure how soon i'll be doing that. Will ponder and hopefully come up with an answer.

Members who have read this thread: 0