09 GT Force 3.0 for $799- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

09 GT Force 3.0 for $799

Hi all,

So, heres my question, I just recently broke the chainstay on my Giant AC Air-lite all mountain machine. Unfortunately I was the second owner and am **** outa luck on getting it warrantied. I am concerned about buying used again because I wouldn't be covered under a warranty. I found a 09 GT Force 3.0 on Nashbar.com for $999 plus 20% off additional, making it $799.

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...0052_513860_-1

What do you guys think? I think at this price it gives me room for upgrades.

mtbr member
    its a very good frame with hideous parts bolted onto it! the frame alone is probably worth that price though, so its a hell of a deal. i-drive is excellent.

the force uses a very high leverage ratio (3:1), so if you're a heavier rider you might have some issues.. but all in all, not a huge deal considering that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    its a very good frame with hideous parts bolted onto it! the frame alone is probably worth that price though, so its a hell of a deal. i-drive is excellent.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    the force uses a very high leverage ratio (3:1), so if you're a heavier rider you might have some issues.. but all in all, not a huge deal considering that price.
    It's funny, I am a heavy rider and the Force is the best feeling FS bike I've tried. I had an older i-Drive and really wish I would've kept it. I think it's because there is less frame/swingarm flex compared to other styles (Spec. FSR=noodle for me, current RM Element is pretty decent, especially for the price I got it for so not complaining on it).

If I can afford it, one of these days I will be riding a Force.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hows GT's warranty compared to other companies?? From what I understand Giant has a Lifetime frame warranty, and I was reading that GT only has a 5 year warranty on FS, and 1 year on Downhill, Dirtjump frames.

mtbr member
    hope you need a S or XS

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You know what. Ill be honest as hell with you. GT will only stand by their frame. I purchased a 09 Force 3.0 knowing it was the lower end of the Forces so some parts were cheaper and would need to be replaced eventually. Little did I know, eventually would be 30 days later. I broke my chain, then a week after that, I rounded off the square tapered crank arm hole and neither GT nor FSA will cover it even though for something like that to happen in 32 days, there must have been a deffect of some sort. So basically im SOL on those and ended up putting on an XT crank, XT rapid rise rear derailleur and a new chain and were good to go. I CANNOT say enough bad things about GT's customer service, but can tell you that when the bike is working, its the best ride of your life. I didnt like the feel of the Treks or Giants, GT just felt ride, the whole geometry of the bike and pedaling and all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by srbecker
    You know what. Ill be honest as hell with you. GT will only stand by their frame. I purchased a 09 Force 3.0 knowing it was the lower end of the Forces so some parts were cheaper and would need to be replaced eventually. Little did I know, eventually would be 30 days later. I broke my chain, then a week after that, I rounded off the square tapered crank arm hole and neither GT nor FSA will cover it even though for something like that to happen in 32 days, there must have been a deffect of some sort. So basically im SOL on those and ended up putting on an XT crank, XT rapid rise rear derailleur and a new chain and were good to go. I CANNOT say enough bad things about GT's customer service, but can tell you that when the bike is working, its the best ride of your life. I didnt like the feel of the Treks or Giants, GT just felt ride, the whole geometry of the bike and pedaling and all.
    That's a bummer for that to happen to your new bike but I've got to say those sound more like setup and assembly problems than manufacturer defects. Did you mail order the bike or get it from a shop? If it was a shop I'd be dealing with them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DSFA
    That's a bummer for that to happen to your new bike but I've got to say those sound more like setup and assembly problems than manufacturer defects. Did you mail order the bike or get it from a shop? If it was a shop I'd be dealing with them.
    +1 on the setup and assembly being a likely culprit. Checking fasteners and cables etc about a week or so after getting or building a new bike is always a good idea. Even if you haven't put a bunch of miles on it yet it's a good idea to check things over and retighten. The shop should have told you to bring it in for a checkup within the 1st 30 days...and that should be a free service.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

Members who have read this thread: 0