09 Giant Anthem X3 vs. Cannondale Rize 5- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

09 Giant Anthem X3 vs. Cannondale Rize 5

I am looking at these two bike to be my fist full suspension bikes. Rode both bike today and both belt good. I know they have different shock positions, but they are both 4 inches of travel. Just looking for experienced riders to give me some input to help make a decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have never ridden the Rize but bought an Anthem X after years of riding Specialized. The rear suspension is the best I have ridden. Giant's Maestro suspension is incredibly efficient yet very plush . The Anthem would be my pick but the Cannondale is gorgeuos.

ride hard take risks
    Did you get to ride them on trails or curbs??
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I rode them in the parking lot at the bike shop. I have an older hardtail, but wanted to get a full suspension. Trying to get an 09 to help with price a little. I know of a guy that has had the Giant for a few months and he loves the bike, but I also like the orange Rize 5 from Cannondale. Is the Fox shock on the Giant better Than the Rock Shock on the Rize 5.

ride hard take risks
    http://www2.giant-bicycles.com/en-US...x3/3894/36668/

http://www3.cannondale.com/bikes/09/...odel-9VT5.html

Both great be different from your friend and get the opposite. I personally like Fox but last couple years RS has really stepped it up.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The bikes are very diffrent. The Rize is more like a Giant Trance X. It is an all around trail bike with mellow handling. The Anthem was originally billed as a race bike but it is so versatile that it is an awesome trail bike too for guys that like sharper handling and a more responsive bike.

The two bike you are looking at are comparable parts wise except for the forks. Rock Shox makes great forks but the Tora on the Rize 5 is not as nice as the Fox F100 RL on the Anthem X3. If it were a Rock Shox Recon I would say it was just as nice as the Fox.

The Giant rear suspension is also a lot more sophisticated than the single pivot Rize. The main problem is that the Rize rear suspension will squat and stiffen when you apply rear brake. IT also relys on the rear shock propedal to prevent suspensin bob. The Maestro suspension on the Giants is not affected at all by braking. Also the Giants pedal better while sprinting and standing going up hills do to the built in anti squat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the replies guys.. Formula I love anti-squat! I haven't heard that term in a couple of years, since I was way deep into RC offroad racing. I am leaning toward the Anthem for sure, now I have to convince the wife that I need a 1600.00 bike to ride trails.

mtbr member

Happened to me before!

Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET20
    I am looking at these two bike to be my fist full suspension bikes. Rode both bike today and both belt good. I know they have different shock positions, but they are both 4 inches of travel. Just looking for experienced riders to give me some input to help make a decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    First of all, Anthem X3 comes with a 100-mm travel whereas Rize 5 is with a 130-mm travel.

The similar situation happened to me before...Anthem X3 equipped with a seemingly sophisticated double-pivot Maestro & Rize 5 proudly installed with plain single-pivot rear suspension. I really wanted to go for the Maestro...however, taking into account other factors as overall, I eventually went for Rize 5. I have never felt disappointed. The C'dale System Integration is wonderful, basically. I just don't know why....but I feel things about Maestro seems doubtful in terms of elaboration unlike those bikes with VPP or dwLink. Also, at the same time, a well-engineered platform with only a single-pivot suspension can be a fun riding! There must be something darn good about the single-pivot suspension...that's why many bike makers are still sticking with it, e.g., Cannondale, Kona, Trek & Commencal.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Joe for the reply! Do you feel that the extra travel of the Rize impedes you going up large hills. Not sure if extra travel and the unavailability of a rear lock out slows you down to much. I will be honest with you that I love the Rize frame better than the Anthem. It appears to me that the front fork and rear shock are better on the Giant. I am not a young crazy kid that is going to get to extreme with any bike I purchase. I have a family to provide for and cannot afford to get hurt.

mtbr member
    Nowadays, having a travel of 130 mm or 140 mm is rather normal for XC bikes. Definitely, a 100-mm travel make things better during ascending. Please however do not forget that what goes up will have to come down! It will be advantageous of 130 mm or 140 mm when descending, no doubt.

In comparison with another bike with double-pivot suspension, I find out the Rize 5 can really stack up against double-pivot suspension on the way uphill. The Rize is certainly a bike with plushness.

As long as "the heart of every bike is its frame" is held undeniable, other components such as fork and rear shock can be upgraded. What you cannot upgrade is the frame!

Let you desire answer which one you are going for. For several situations, forms always follow functions. However, sometimes, forms and functions need to come together at a time!

ride hard take risks
    SP's rock they are capable of going up, down or over just fine with out fancy pivots and rockers. The modern air shocks help with the climbing and lock out is not necessary let the shock smooth out the rough climb on your favor.

Your never to old to enjoy DH.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for all the information on the two bikes. The Rize is a sweet looking bike and I am going back to look and ride it again on Saturday.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCKET20
    Thanks for all the information on the two bikes. The Rize is a sweet looking bike and I am going back to look and ride it again on Saturday.
    If you can get it on a real trail that would be the best.

To bad you dont live in GnarCal I'd let you barrow my SP, not a CDale, guarantee youll be riding better and enjoying your rides.
    Formotion Products

Members who have read this thread: 0