08 Specialized Pitch Sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

08 Specialized Pitch Sizing

Coming from riding mostly road I am looking to purchase my first real mountain bike, and my LBS has an 08 Pitch that seems reasonably discounted, but I am not sure on the sizing. Though it is a good deal I know proper sizing is paramount, and while the LBS wrench watched me ride a bit and said it fit okay, I want to be positive. Also, after reading the reviews on the Pitch it seems stout enough for me, but any other suggestions based on where I will ride are welcome.

So, here are the specs:

The frame is size L, which makes the stand over height 29.9 in. I have no idea how size L translates to inches sizing listed for other bikes, or how it would compare to my sizing on a road bike.

My road bike is a 09 Brava 55cm and it fits perfectly. I am 5'8" and have a 32" inseam.

I took the Pitch for a test ride and the reach to the bars seemed good. With the seat down all the way I felt like it was still a bit low for pedaling seated. I fear a frame that is too small more than one that is too large, probably because I have somewhat long legs for my height, but again my experience is in road and I assume proper mountain sizing has some different requirements.

Where I will ride:

I plan to ride mostly trails but the trails here are very rocky, everything from hard and dusty with foot high boulders, to shallow sand, to deep gravel, with some steep descents. After my early attempts to hammer out a local trail on an old GT hardtail, I know I need something that can take a beating, and has full suspension.

Anyway, that is about all. Apologies for the novel and thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I would say most people who are 5'8" are squarely in the Medium bike category. But if it feels good and you don't feel that the shop guy is just trying to make a sale then it's up to you. Maybe you hit a few other bike stores and have them fit you to bikes that are in stock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    im 5'8'' i ride a medium frame could fit a small to...a large would be way to big for me

Members who have read this thread: 0