'06 Specialized Hardrock pro vs '07 Rockhopper comp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

'06 Specialized Hardrock pro vs '07 Rockhopper comp

Both of these bike are priced at my LBS for $600 bucks. My main purpose for this bike is singletrack riding.. The local trails have some huge climbs but also some crazy downhills. Which one would be the best option.

Is the jump from the hardrock to the rockhopper a noticable one? Because its the pro vs the comp are the components going to nicer on the pro?

thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, I would suggest the Rockhopper for singletrack riding. I bought a Hardrock for my first bike and it doesn't make a great all around bike. The Rockhopper it just such a better all around bike imo.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    $600 and huge climbs with crazy downhills doesn't go together well.

Kind of like elk hunting with an airsoft gun.

If $600 is your absolute max budget number, I'd shop around for something used but nice.

For a new bike, you're talking $1,000+ for anything you won't want to upgrade as soon as you're back from your first ride (maybe sooner...). JMHO.

Regards,
    Jeff

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    $600 and huge climbs with crazy downhills doesn't go together well.

Kind of like elk hunting with an airsoft gun.

If $600 is your absolute max budget number, I'd shop around for something used but nice.

For a new bike, you're talking $1,000+ for anything you won't want to upgrade as soon as you're back from your first ride (maybe sooner...). JMHO.

Regards,
    Jeff
    sooooo,if one couldn't afford a grand+ for a new bike,they could'nt really afford to be a mtn biker?i can,by the way.i just don't see how telling someone what they can't do is helpful when they ask a valid question.and tho i may be a little outta shape after better than a month off the bike for med reasons,i know several ss'ers ridin sub $500 bikes that do quite well in races against $1-2500 bikes,so it just might be what he puts in as much as what he can afford.
    sean,more expensive bikes ARE really nice,but don't be discouraged because of yer budget,a decent frame with cheaper components is always good advice when budget shopping,because as parts break and/or wear (and ALL parts do),replace em w/ better stuff.it'll take longer,but you end up w/ the components you want eventually,but if the frame's cheezy,it's probly not worth it.bare in mind,generally speaking that cheaper components will need more maintainance to last,but if you're new or been gone awhile,this'll help get you some wrenchin experience too.happy trails

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    At $600, for either bike, get the 07 Rockhopper Comp
    This is an amazing deal at an LBS. They rarely drop $280 off the MSRP, original price is $880.

The rockhopper comp is also better spec'd with the fork being a RS Tora vs the Marzocchi MZ Comp.

Members who have read this thread: 0