04 Enduro Comp good for So Cal/OC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

04 Enduro Comp good for So Cal/OC?

After a few good years of service, I've decided to retire my 1999 Marin Wolf Ridge and hand it over to my girlfriend. Been shopping around for a good bike for me around the $2000 range. My eye has really been caught by the 04 Specialized Enduro Comp. Other bikes I've looked at include the 03 Giant VT1 (nice closeout deals currently), 04 Specialized Elite Disc, 04 Kona Dawg and 04 Kona Coiler.

I ride mostly in Orange County, CA, including Whiting Ranch, Santiago, Aliso, etc. I weigh in at 200lbs or so, so I figure the extra strength of the Enduro (vs. the Stumpjumper) would do me well. Or would it be overkill? Just looking for some purchase advice before I empty my wallet.

Just Grin and HUCK it...

Sounds like a good choice...

Quote Originally Posted by dubjay
    After a few good years of service, I've decided to retire my 1999 Marin Wolf Ridge and hand it over to my girlfriend. Been shopping around for a good bike for me around the $2000 range. My eye has really been caught by the 04 Specialized Enduro Comp. Other bikes I've looked at include the 03 Giant VT1 (nice closeout deals currently), 04 Specialized Elite Disc, 04 Kona Dawg and 04 Kona Coiler.

I ride mostly in Orange County, CA, including Whiting Ranch, Santiago, Aliso, etc. I weigh in at 200lbs or so, so I figure the extra strength of the Enduro (vs. the Stumpjumper) would do me well. Or would it be overkill? Just looking for some purchase advice before I empty my wallet.
    The trails in the OC demand at minimum a 4" travel bike (IMO). With the Spec Enduro, you get, what, 4 - 5" of travel? And the things are bullet proof. Decent component package out of the box as well.

You might also look at the Santa Cruz Blur too, but I doubt that you could land one for under $2500. From what I understand, the Blur is a great bike, though I've never ridden one.

The Konas are good bikes, but might be a bit too porky for what you are looking for.

No matter what you do, make sure to test ride all your choices first before you buy. You don't want to part with 2 grand and regret it later.

I myself just sold my FSR XC and bought a 5 Spot for the additional travel, etc. I am glad I did.
    MCM# 2007.1