02 intense uzzi slx, 05 intense 5.5, intense tracer or keep my 03 enduro????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

02 intense uzzi slx, 05 intense 5.5, intense tracer or keep my 03 enduro????

Hello,
    I have been considering a new bike and need some help. Aggressive Ex-bmxer, but no drops bigger than 3ft. Ride very rocky trails, but no super long climbs. I have always wanted an intense since they went to the fsr design (around 97). Have been on specialized FSR's since 95 when I got my first FS bike, FSR S-works (looks just like cannondale scalpel). I really like the active suspension of the fsr's, I think the suspension helps bite on some climbs. I have a 03 specialized enduro, I like the bike but have been considering getting something a little more unique. Want 5 in travel front and rear. Iam around 225 so durable is more important than light. Want to stay around 30 lbs, think this is not unreasonable.

I found a 02 uzzi slx frame $999, 6-7 in travel rear, will be building with fox vanilla fork(prefer coil shocks). I dont know how heavy the uzzi is, may be more freeride than trailbike.

opition 2 is an Intense 5.5, have never riden with a stable platform shock...reveiws are great though.

Other opition is an Intense Tracer FSR. This would probably be the best choise, but only 4in rear travel. I wonder if there is long travel kits around...will check the intense board.

Opinions Please!!!!!!
    thanks
    Bryan

Nov 2004
    The Uzzi is mainly a freeride bike, and it is not VPP like the 5.5 and Tracer are. This will make it extremely hard to pedal. This leaves the Tracer and the 5.5. Judging from what you posted, I think that the 5.5 will be right for you. If you for sure want FSR suspension, you're out of luck in terms of Intense. They have switched their whole lineup to VPP (Virtual Pivot Point).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Too many bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry03cobra
    Hello,
    I have been considering a new bike and need some help. Aggressive Ex-bmxer, but no drops bigger than 3ft. Ride very rocky trails, but no super long climbs. I have always wanted an intense since they went to the fsr design (around 97). Have been on specialized FSR's since 95 when I got my first FS bike, FSR S-works (looks just like cannondale scalpel). I really like the active suspension of the fsr's, I think the suspension helps bite on some climbs. I have a 03 specialized enduro, I like the bike but have been considering getting something a little more unique. Want 5 in travel front and rear. Iam around 225 so durable is more important than light. Want to stay around 30 lbs, think this is not unreasonable.

I found a 02 uzzi slx frame $999, 6-7 in travel rear, will be building with fox vanilla fork(prefer coil shocks). I dont know how heavy the uzzi is, may be more freeride than trailbike.

opition 2 is an Intense 5.5, have never riden with a stable platform shock...reveiws are great though.

Other opition is an Intense Tracer FSR. This would probably be the best choise, but only 4in rear travel. I wonder if there is long travel kits around...will check the intense board.

Opinions Please!!!!!!
    thanks
    Bryan
    Like the other guy posted, the Intense line up is now vpp with no fsr bikes. I think for the riding you describe you will need something a little more relaxed than the 5.5. The 5.5 would work fine for you but the geometry is fairly steep and it may be a little skittish on steep and rough downhill sections of a trail.

If you want to stay with the fsr design, then stick with the Enduro. The 05 Enduro has a little more travel than you want at 6" but from what I have heard it still climbs well. It also sounds like a coil option is in the works for the 05 Enduro so new owners dont have to worry about voiding the warranty if they put a coil shock on one.

The Tracer is much more xc than the Enduro, 5.5 and Uzzi and I would worry taking it on abusive rides at your weight. I would also stay away from the Uzzi and get something newer.

A bike like the Azonic Saber is adjustable from 5-6" of travel and is considered a burly trail bike that can be hucked also has a horst/fsr design. Azonic has replaced it with basically the same bike but I cant remember the name. Reasonable price for the frame also.

There are many bikes that will work for you and even more if you consider other designs beside FSR. The Yeti 575 and SC Heckler come to mind as capable sp offerings.

May 2005
    Intense will be coming out with a new VPP bike to match the Nomad soon, so you could wait for that. I'd venture to guess that it will be buildable at around 30#.

I would say, though, that none of those bikes is really BETTER than the Enduro. If you want to stick with a boutique FSR design, you might look at Titus. Either a SuperMoto or MotoLite would be right up your alley; Switchblade even...Perhaps a Turner or Ellsworth also...
    Last edited by Indigo-Isis; 05-27-2005 at 09:28 AM.

There's no app for this.

Plan B: $138.00

send the Fox Shock to PUSH industries and have it made into stable platform. I haven't done it yet but a few knowledgeable buddies and riders here have, and swear it makes the FSR a whole new (in a very good way )bike.

Just a thought, Jim

MTB SOCAL

Titus

My brother has an 03 Uzzi SLX - it is a nice freeride bike. It doesn't climb too badly with a stable platform shock, but is on the heavy side- I think his is around 35-36 lbs. I think a Titus Super-moto or Moto-lite would be a very good option for you, especially since you like FSR designs. You may even consider a used Quasi-moto, if you can find one. I have a 6 in Quasi with a Nixon Platinum fork (weighs 30lbs) as my trail bike and love it. Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by yangpei; 06-14-2005 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Do It Yourself
    The SLX is a freeride frame and weighs a (metric) ton and should be paired up with a 6-7" fork. The Tracer was a nice ride but has been discontinued. So if you had a problem with the frame, you would be out of luck. The 5.5 EVP is a very sweet ride. My buddy has one (with PUSH RP3 and PUSH Monolink) and I rode it last weekend. I was very surprised how well it rode with a AM1 150mm on it. Definitely not steep by any stretch and the ETA made climbing workable. His is still under 30 lbs well spec'ed, XT/XTR, King/819, Hope MonoMinis (steel braided lines), WTB 2.3s. After riding his bike got me thinking I might like a longer travel bike as well.

The 5.5 is the most comparable in the Intense lineup to what you have now and I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the ride. There are other nice frames in this category if you're open to it, e.g. Turner 5 Spot, Titus MotoLite, Yeti 575, etc.
    Long Live Long Rides

jrm
    mtbr member

my $.02

Hello,

Opinions Please!!!!!!
    thanks
    Bryan
    The Uzzi and tracer are going to ride taller then the enduro your riding now. There isnt any long travel option forthe tracer other then using a uzzi sl link but this only means a 1/2 more travel. I have ridden a VPP suspensed bike and didnt like the brake jack under braking and the pedal input.

What i may suggest is searching for a used, newer enduro frame, turner 5 spot, azonic saber, titus switchblade/moto light/ or ventana frameset...

What i might

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I bought a leftover uzzi sl

Amphibious Technologies
    I bought a leftover uzzi sl
    Good choice. Congatulations! As mentioned above, if you have any extra cash left, send you RC to Push Industries and have them install their Factory Race System. It does wonders to its performance and the platform makes the bike climb much better. Best upgrade I did to my SLX.

Here's some infor on the Vanilla RC shock upgrade:

Vanilla RC Factory Race System $185.00 + Shipping
    Includes:

Complete Disassembly/Reassembly
    Oil/Nitrogen Fill
    O-Ring Kit
    Push Vault Seal Housing
    Push PTFE Endless Piston Glyde Band
    R-Glyde Liner Eyelet Bearings
    Push Exclusive Vx Piston Series
    Push Multi-Phase Valving Framework
    Push Zero-Bleed Piston Bolt
    Push Race System Compression Valve Assembly

Featuring everything found in the Factory Tuning System, the Factory Race System takes it to the next level and includes a replacement reservoir valve assembly which is controlled by your external adjuster. Valved to rider spec of course. This performance upgrade for your RC gives you a more useable range of adjustment to effectively control the handling of your ride, without compromising big hit performance.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 06-14-2005 at 12:58 PM.

jrm
    mtbr member

I hear

that if you put a tracer link on the uzzi its better then putting a uzzi link on a tracer. Then you could use that float Rc on it. I wish i would have known that when i sold my uzzi sl..

Amphibious Technologies
    Tracer link sounds like an interesting option. What does it do to the travel and geometry?

BTW Bry03cobra, you can go for broke and get your Fox fork PUSH'd too to balance it out. Here's the scoop on it:

"With maximum front end traction and control our goal, we set out to build the ultimate fork package. The Factory Fork System features three key tuning items. First is we increase the ports of the rebound piston which increase high velocity flow allowing the wheel to respond more rapidly to changing terrain and successive bumps. Next we re-tune the base valve threshold to give the fork increased bump sensitivity while still maintaining a “Platform” feel when set to the “locked-out” position. Lastly, we re-tune and broaden the range of adjustment that you get with your low speed compression dial, allowing you, to tune out excessive fork movement and brake dive." -- Push Industries

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

link

Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    that if you put a tracer link on the uzzi its better then putting a uzzi link on a tracer. Then you could use that float Rc on it. I wish i would have known that when i sold my uzzi sl..
    I'll trade my Tracer link for your Uzzi link

Not sure what you would gain, but from what I hear I would gain close to an inch of travel.