[brand name here]Frame Quality- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,565

    New question here. [brand name here]Frame Quality

    Hey I'm looking at full suspension frames, as I'm going to buy one this summer. I've got everything else I want, so I'm going frame only so I've been keeping tabs on ebay and OEM mail order places like wheelworld (i wish i had the money for that kikapu deluxe right now...). Point is, who builds quality full suspension frames? Take money into account as I'm on a budget. I know trek, specialized, kona, santa cruz, etc are top-notch but what about the others? I don't know much about others like KHS, Jamis dakar, iron horse, haro? I've heard motobecane is cheap crap, but that's about it. I'm looking at xc/am frames for trail riding; 4-5". If i go with a "cheaper" company, am I going to have to worry about snapping seatstays or crap pivots? Who should i definitely avoid if I'm looking for quality? So far I've heard that Jamis Dakar is the best bang for the buck on its xc series, but what do you think?

    Sorry for the long post, thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    I'm SUCH a square....
    Reputation: bigpedaler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,952
    MOTOBECANE IS WORSE THAN CRAP -- RUN AWAY!!!
    Having said that, here we go -- I'm rolling a Dakar XLT 1.0, newly built up, and I'm impressed! Iron Horse is a sleeper that is where Giant was 5-6 years ago, and that dw-link is gonna catch some attention SOON! I don't see a red flag from Iron Horse. KHS has a good rep, too. So does Haro, but personally, their new suspension design just doesn't sit well w/ me.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    306
    I would put Santa Cruz, Ellworth, Yeti, Kona, and Specialized as pretty good quality frame....

    but, Iron Horse, Jamis and Giant also makes good full suspesion frames. I dont care for Haro Full suspension bikes that much. as buget full suspension bikes, Iron horse is my first choice. not the maveric or warrior model....but the higher up models are very decent.

    Jamis and Giant offers some of the best values in the market....so, take a look...

    Now, with Iron Horse, Jamis, or Giant...you may not get anything flashy.....or eye candy like.....but you will get a capable bike at a good price.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: InvictaS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,878
    All of the bigger bike makers like Trek, Giant, Specialized, ect are all pretty much even when it comes to quality. These companies sell thousands and thousands of bikes every year, if they were selling bikes that broke easily then these companies would have been out of business long ago. If you are concerned about quality just make sure you buy a bike/frame that has a lifetime warranty.

    You might want to check out the Atlas and Asta frames from Ibex if you havent already. They are really good values.

    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Asta.html
    http://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,565
    yh I forgot to mention that...I hate bb's that move. bad idea. thanks for the input

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,413
    Check out the Ibex Atlas. It's pretty much a mini Ibex Zone (my current bike). Awesome frames, well specced and excellent customer service...

    https://www.ibexbikes.com/Stacks/Series_Atlas.html

    Pic of me and my Ibex

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,413
    double post

  8. #8
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    930

    Just to show you how little you know

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    MOTOBECANE IS WORSE THAN CRAP -- RUN AWAY!!!
    Having said that, here we go -- I'm rolling a Dakar XLT 1.0, newly built up, and I'm impressed! Iron Horse is a sleeper that is where Giant was 5-6 years ago, and that dw-link is gonna catch some attention SOON! I don't see a red flag from Iron Horse. KHS has a good rep, too. So does Haro, but personally, their new suspension design just doesn't sit well w/ me.

    Most Motobecane ATBs are made by UEC; who knows KHS and makes both brands!
    But wait - the frames are actually made by Kinesis, Astro, and Sunrise -- companies that make frames for every single brand you have named.
    But there is more - every single Mountain Bike Magazine has given Motobecane ATBs very positive reviews and have the semi pro racers that use them {our speciality is light weight race bikes for the unsponsored unweathy riders}

    All the Mountain bikes you name are good; but none is higher quality than a Motobecane.
    And in most cases that would be impossable as the exact same frames are used in many cases; and the exact same components too.

    We went thru this issue on RBR and bikeforums with Road Bike when we first started heavily discounting Road Bikes; after a while posters found out that in all cases Motobecane frames are made in Taiwan and spec'd as each frame builder's top quality production.

    Starting in 2008 we will expect even more bull like this as we will increase ATB orders and drop ATB prices to rock bottom. Then after about 2 years of customers buying due to the insanely high level spec for price; everyone will get the message. Motobecanes are only spec'd with the top frames available in Asia

    come to Sea Otter for a peak at the lightest most competitive mountain bikes to be available in 2008 {or look at today's Fly 9357}

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    I have a motobecane FS bike and am happy with it. The frame looks identical to the patented Specialized design.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    A very good deal in a FS frame in the 4" category is the LEADER 626S.

    They are a good company to deal with. You should check their geometry specs carefully as I've seen a number of reviews that complain their top tube is shorter than expected.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,565
    just because a company that makes good frames also makes your frames doesn't mean they are as good. They aren't identical. I've heard about lots of problems with sloppy pivots and warped dimensions on motobecanes. You can boast about yourself all day long, but it sends a clear message when nobody else will vouch for you (especially those who have bought your product)

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    Crazylax42, check around a little bit (do a search on motobecane). There are numerous people here on the board that own one and are happy.

  13. #13
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    930

    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager
    I have a motobecane FS bike and am happy with it. The frame looks identical to the patented Specialized design.

    Thanks for your post and purchase

    those that do not understand Motobecane quality have not been reading Dirt Rag, Mountain Biking, Bicycling, Mountain Bike Action, Bike, or VeloNews

    Dirt Rag tested a Fantom FS for 1/2 year including a 24 hour race
    they freakin loved it and printed the most over the top review I have ever seen from them

    thanks again

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txjohng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager
    I have a motobecane FS bike and am happy with it. The frame looks identical to the patented Specialized design.

    Yeah,

    Moto is not bad, of course they do not have the wow factor when it come to their name.
    I own a moto and an IBEX. Yes my ibex can take more abuse, but that comes to design.

    I remember hearing that Moto uses a thinner walls to construct their frames to help keep weight down. I am 170 lbs and have the FLY frame. It is very light. The bike is not meant for anything big.. I've done a few 2-3' drops on it and it is fine.

    But here lies the issue ...you don't want thinner wall to reduce weight on a FS bike that is going to get 5' drops ... Mike may wanna add to this. But I am not sure how the Fly frames are different that the FS frames.

    And leader also makes nice FS frames at a lower price.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by txjohng
    Yeah,

    Moto is not bad, of course they do not have the wow factor when it come to their name.
    I own a moto and an IBEX. Yes my ibex can take more abuse, but that comes to design.

    I remember hearing that Moto uses a thinner walls to construct their frames to help keep weight down. I am 170 lbs and have the FLY frame. It is very light. The bike is not meant for anything big.. I've done a few 2-3' drops on it and it is fine.

    But here lies the issue ...you don't want thinner wall to reduce weight on a FS bike that is going to get 5' drops ... Mike may wanna add to this. But I am not sure how the Fly frames are different that the FS frames.

    And leader also makes nice FS frames at a lower price.
    That's exactly right, I'm not completely familiar with all of the motobecane frames, but mine is obviously designed for XC and light AM use. If I use it for more it might have trouble. Frame strength is always a trade off with weight. It's nicely gussetted if that matters. Oh, and I weigh 200lbs. My typical trail has a lot of roots and some logs and a rock garden. The suspension gets a workout, but because it's FS the frame doesn't take a pounding.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    306
    what ever you buy Please, please dont buy Motobecane or IBEX............its laughable that one person refered to the magazine reviews of the Moto bikes, as their credentials.....May I ask how much Moto pays those magazines as advertizement money...........Also, the magazines are there to sale their product......they are not there to make your ride enjoyable..........

    what can make your ride enjoyable is a nicely fitted, well equipped bike with good riding skills and adequate maintainance (by you or your bike shop).

    anymore, this forums sounds like a Motobecane and IBEX marketing website.....the title of this forum sould read "Want To Buy Crap form IBEX or Motobecane".........every bike question I have seen here had been infested by shameless marketing invasion of the MOTO and IBEX agents.

    moderator, you can moderate or cancel my post, if you feel like.....I am not feeling like participating in this particular forum anyway.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    Orca, what experience to you have with motobecane and Ibex that has you soured on them?

    with only 9 posts it's weird to hear you say: "anymore, this forum sounds like..." as if you've been around a while.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    306
    it does not matter how many posts I have on this forum.....it matters how much experience I have in Mountain biking.....to be exact its 17 years.....

    sorry, my number of posts in this forum made you question my credibility....I have been reading these forums for a while....I am also an active members of some other mountain biking forums...........Also, I used to do some free lance sports writing including backpacking, mountain biking and climbing....I hate that I am defending myself.....

    anyway, if you can trust my words even with only 9 posts....I have used, maintained, tuned up many IBEX and Motobecane bikes....I have put together a few of these online bikes for my young friends........and thats what the basis of my comments.......

    they are okay bikes.....but, they are not the front runner in any category of mountain biking.......you may have a cheap price on your side, but that also comes with the possibility of poor fitting, lack of post purchase maintenance support, and lack of a long term/proven track record......

    Of course some people would be happy with these bikes...but, heck….some people are happy with their X-mart bikes.....I have no problem if some body is happy with their bike, regardless of where it came from and how much it costs......My argument is not directed towards the average quality and decent pricing of your bike.....my argument is your conviction about suggesting those bike to every blessed soul who ask for some bike advice....

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    Just to be clear, I wasn't asking you to defend your knowledge of mtn bikes because of 9 posts. I am certainly happy to assume you know more than I do about bikes. I asked about your experience with Moto and Ibex bikes because I really wanted to know and I assumed there was some experience behind it.

    I DID challenge your statement that implied you had a long-term experience on this forum and that you've detected a recent pattern toward pushing Ibex and Moto.

    You don't have any problem with me, nor I with you.

    Now that you've gone deeper, I detect your real problems are with mail ordering a bicycle period. Your reasons are poor fit and post purchase support.
    We all know that we are making this sacrifice for the better prices and anytime I discuss mail ordering with someone I make this point. As for the lack of a proven track record...well that's worth making cautionary statements but saying "RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN"? Why?

    I also think that coming from the LBS side of the business that you feel threatened by mail order and perhaps this is coming out?

    I'll never tell someone my moto is better than their name brand, but I do take solice in the money spent and think I got a good value. If I had spent my $900 in the LBS I'd have a good fit and support but I wouldn't have gotten a FS bike with disc brakes.
    and I took enough care that even mail order I got a good fit, plus I can do my own bike work...so I'm lucky.

    Please stay on these boards and give good advice, but please find it in your heart to have patience with us 'value' shoppers too.

    Thanks.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: txjohng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    739
    Quote Originally Posted by Orca
    it does not matter how many posts I have on this forum.....it matters how much experience I have in Mountain biking.....to be exact its 17 years.....

    sorry, my number of posts in this forum made you question my credibility....I have been reading these forums for a while....I am also an active members of some other mountain biking forums...........Also, I used to do some free lance sports writing including backpacking, mountain biking and climbing....I hate that I am defending myself.....

    anyway, if you can trust my words even with only 9 posts....I have used, maintained, tuned up many IBEX and Motobecane bikes....I have put together a few of these online bikes for my young friends........and thats what the basis of my comments.......

    they are okay bikes.....but, they are not the front runner in any category of mountain biking.......you may have a cheap price on your side, but that also comes with the possibility of poor fitting, lack of post purchase maintenance support, and lack of a long term/proven track record......

    Of course some people would be happy with these bikes...but, heck….some people are happy with their X-mart bikes.....I have no problem if some body is happy with their bike, regardless of where it came from and how much it costs......My argument is not directed towards the average quality and decent pricing of your bike.....my argument is your conviction about suggesting those bike to every blessed soul who ask for some bike advice....



    I get a smirk for having an IBEX and Moto. That is of course until they ride them. I know both of their names do not have the WOW factor, but they are good bikes. I highly recommend all IBEXs and their frames. And I really like the moto fly series ( top tube could be longer).

    I am sure if I were to put a Trek/Titus/Santa Cruz or some other big time maker stickers on the bikes, I'd get lots of WOW instead of my smirks.


    You say they are not the front runners? Probably not, after all the most expensive bike they each sell is $1600, where trek/giant/ and others go up to 4-5k. But then it is not fair to compare a 5k bike to a 1.5k bike is it?

    And I'd guess if you take them head to head with a similar priced bike of the big makers they'd perform just as well. I also imagine their frames would hold up just as well under stress.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Orca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by jyeager
    Just to be clear, I wasn't asking you to defend your knowledge of mtn bikes because of 9 posts. I am certainly happy to assume you know more than I do about bikes. I asked about your experience with Moto and Ibex bikes because I really wanted to know and I assumed there was some experience behind it.

    I DID challenge your statement that implied you had a long-term experience on this forum and that you've detected a recent pattern toward pushing Ibex and Moto.

    You don't have any problem with me, nor I with you.

    Now that you've gone deeper, I detect your real problems are with mail ordering a bicycle period. Your reasons are poor fit and post purchase support.
    We all know that we are making this sacrifice for the better prices and anytime I discuss mail ordering with someone I make this point. As for the lack of a proven track record...well that's worth making cautionary statements but saying "RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN"? Why?

    I also think that coming from the LBS side of the business that you feel threatened by mail order and perhaps this is coming out?

    I'll never tell someone my moto is better than their name brand, but I do take solice in the money spent and think I got a good value. If I had spent my $900 in the LBS I'd have a good fit and support but I wouldn't have gotten a FS bike with disc brakes.
    and I took enough care that even mail order I got a good fit, plus I can do my own bike work...so I'm lucky.

    Please stay on these boards and give good advice, but please find it in your heart to have patience with us 'value' shoppers too.

    Thanks.
    now, that is a very matured response. I respect that position.

    I am no longer associated with LBS, so I am not threatened. I have seen both sides of the story, buying from LBS and online. that was my point. Also, "RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN" was not my statement....

    my position is...if you enjoy your ride, it does not matter what bike you ride......

    I dont have any problem with you or anybody else...personally...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,413
    orca, for some reason i dont think you've had much experience personally with Ibex bikes. But if you did, then i guess thats just one bad apple in a whole pile. From both the Ibex i've ridden one was a 4" XC frame and one more is my current bike, i've abused both like crazy. And trust me, i'm not the smoothest rider around. Sure they might not be top of the line bikes like a Versus or Turner. But they definitely hold their own and are very very capable. As for your argument about not getting LBS support and such, well... thats a trade off but IMHO it's better to fix your own bikes anyways. Also, with Ibex, the posters here are just happy customers who are not paid. We just want to spread the word about a great bike which gives us joy everytime we ride...

    But then again, what do i know. Hell i was happy riding a wallmart bike when i was little too...

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,413
    orca, for some reason i dont think you've had much experience personally with Ibex bikes. But if you did, then i guess thats just one bad apple in a whole pile. From both the Ibex i've ridden one was a 4" XC frame and one more is my current bike, i've abused both like crazy. And trust me, i'm not the smoothest rider around. Sure they might not be top of the line bikes like a Versus or Turner. But they definitely hold their own and are very very capable. As for your argument about not getting LBS support and such, well... thats a trade off but IMHO it's better to fix your own bikes anyways. Also, with Ibex, the posters here are just happy customers who are not paid. We just want to spread the word about a great bike which gives us joy everytime we ride...

    But then again, what do i know. Hell i was happy riding a wallmart bike when i was little too...

  24. #24
    Hail to the King, baby
    Reputation: old_dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    979

    You were so emphatic about it, that you must ...

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    MOTOBECANE IS WORSE THAN CRAP -- RUN AWAY!!!
    ... have some expert experience and knowledge about the deficiencies of Motobecane frames.

    Could you explain why they are "worse than crap"?

    Is there a problem with geometry, welding, materials, paint, or what?

    It seems to me that we should be supportive of inexpensive bikes and components.

    Many of these companies charge what the market will bear, and not anything related to true production costs. By supporting inexpensive gear, you put downward pressure on what the market will bear.

    Dismissing inexpensive gear out-of-hand makes me question motives and reasons. If the frames are crap fine, but let's be clear on why they are crap, to ensure that they actually are.

    old dude

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    328
    CrazyLax, I fear this thread has taken on a life of it's own and not meeting your needs.

    You mention Haro and I can say they have a great reputation. The guy that owns my local bike shop owns one as his personal bike and loves it. don't know if their frames are priced in your range though.

    I mentioned Leader earlier and someone else also gave them a thumb's up. From a fit standpoint, you can work with them on the phone or through email to get the right size frame. They are very helpful in that way. I bought a TT bike from them late last year and got the size just right, even including recommendations for stem and bars.

    I do know that they stand behind their stuff and if you break it you'll get another one. You'll have to tear the bike down and ship it back though. (unless they have a retailer in your area).

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    just because a company that makes good frames also makes your frames doesn't mean they are as good. They aren't identical. I've heard about lots of problems with sloppy pivots and warped dimensions on motobecanes. You can boast about yourself all day long, but it sends a clear message when nobody else will vouch for you (especially those who have bought your product)
    Because they banned them.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MrKalentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    240
    Because they banned them.

    For good reasons...

    Anyways, I'm sure Motobecane/Ibex frames are great at what they're made for.

    At what they're made for.

    At what they're made for.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,565
    SWITCHING GEARS. I just saw the following two frames for good prices, and since they are supposed to be good quality because apparently everything is good quality if used properly, what do you think would be best for general trail riding? Also, the trail I ride the most has several creek crossings with largish rock (pointy culvert variety)? I can't decide if the AM will leave me wanting on faster singletrack/hardpack lanes, but will the xc be harder to bunnyhop with/handle the big rocks? Also, for those of who have ridden KHS, do you think a medium or large will work for a 5'11" dude? thanks

    http://bobs-bicycles.com/itemdetails...ogId=39&id=561

    http://bobs-bicycles.com/itemdetails...ogId=39&id=523

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mrpercussive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    11,413
    go with AM... would give you more riding options...

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: buggyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    122
    at 5 11 go with the large. I am 6 foot and have the KHS XC 604 (extremely happy with the KHS) and the large frame fits real good, smaller then my large Haro HT frame. SO I think a medium would be too small. I like the KHS and will say this about bikes direct. I bought my road bike from them and am very happy with it. The quality is as good as any and the bike was shipped as discribed. I have road with guys on bikes costing twice as much and they didn't have the componants I did, and they were extremely impressed with the bike looking at it close up. I have even had LBS owners say the deal I got on the bike was incredible. DON"T listen to these people that think you have to spend $5000 on a bike.. For the average Joe all the bikes mentioned will be plenty bike.

  31. #31
    Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Reputation: bikesdirect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    930

    You may think you are a bike expert --- but..

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    MOTOBECANE IS WORSE THAN CRAP -- RUN AWAY!!!
    .

    bigpedaler - I am sure you are a great bicycle expect; afterall you are a BIGPEDALER

    but here a few people that know a little about bikes that think you maybe be wrong

    TEAM le CHAMPION "The price of the Team le Champion seemed so low, we called the company three times to check. But it's right!" BICYCLING ~~


    X4B 2.0 "Four-bar suspension with 4 inch of travel at a price where most bikes have single-pivot, if any." BICYCLING ~~

    LE CHAMPION "Frame, fork, wheels and Ultegra parts kit make this bike a steal." "Right out of the driveway, the geometry makes you feel confident. The frame is resilient for an aluminum frame, meaning it is quite stiff but can be taken out for long rides without regret". FITNESS CYCLING ~~

    FLY 9357 "The FLY 9357 from Motobecane USA is the lightest production hardtail in its price range. The 2.7 pound frame is precision welded from high strength Kinesium aluminum that is 40% stronger than 6061 or 7005 series aluminum" MOUNTAIN BIKING MAGAZINE ~~

    TEAM le CHAMPION "Light. Stiff. Nimble. Affordable Dura-Ace. Legendary name." "A machine that performs as well as bikes costing twice as much" "Eager to drive into corners, this bike is perfect for criteriums" "Motobecane did not skimp on the frame - It's Kinesis-built unit mimics the setups raced by top pros" BICYCLING ~~

    X4B 4.0 "The Motobecane X4B 4.0 offers a nice package at an exceptional price. It doesn't look like Motobecane skimped on anything. You would be hard-pressed to find a better bike at this price" MOUNTAIN BIKING MAGAZINE ~~

    FLY 9357 "This bike is an absolute feather. You can have the lightest bike on the block for about the same price as most people pay for their wheels. The lightweight flyer screams up hills with no hint of bottom bracket flex. How does Motobecane do it?" BIKE ~~

    FLY TEAM "IS 19.9 POUNDS TOO LIGHT?" "how is it possible for Motobecane to sell an under-20-pound (mountain) bike for this incrediable price? One thing is certain; you'll always win in the price deparment with this incredible deal. The FLY TEAM makes you feel like a superstar from the git-go. The 19.9 pound FLY TEAM simply motors" MOUNTAIN BIKE ACTION ~~

    X4B 6.0 "It's amazing spec for the money" BICYCLING ~~

    FLY TEAM -- XC RACE BIKE OF THE YEAR! "The more we do the math, the harder it was to believe the price at which the Motobecane package leaves the shop. Performance of the frame and parts spec is on the highest level" MOUNTAIN BIKING MAGAZINE ~~

    CENTURY PRO -- - Bicycling Magazine compares a $1900 Motobecane to a $10,000 Merlin in a full test ride article! "The gap between cost and performance simply isn't big enough to justify all the extra cash. The Motobecane delivers the goods with enough money left for a trip for two to the Giro d'Italia. The Motobecane is a shining example of solid design with good spec and a fine ride at a great price." ~~

    FANTOM XC -- - BICYCLING MAGAZINE "A light frame and good spec make Motobecane's XC Racer fast and fun. Typically, you find these parts on bikes that cost thousands of dollars more. It's perhaps the only bike specifically designed for budding XC or 24-hour racers." ~~

    LE CHAMPION TEN - - ROAD - "One of our first concerns with the Le Champion was that it may be too light! However, the reduced weight of the bike makes accelerating and climbing feel almost effortless. IT IS THE LIGHTEST ROAD BIKE THAT WE HAVE EVER RIDDEN AT 6401 GRAMS, MAKING IT ULTRA FAST AND RISING THE BAR FOR SUPER-LIGHT RACE MACHINES."

    IMMORTAL FORCE – ROAD “The Immortal is like a Rocket. Maneuverability is instant; feel on the pavement is smooth and quiet.”

    CENTURY PRO – ROAD “Motobecane bikes can always be counted on for coming in at a price that is downright reasonable. A solid, no-nonsense frame and fork combination with a worry-free, stellar specification at a price that will make you rub your eyes.”

    FLY 9357 – MOUNTAIN BIKING MAGAZINE – “The lightest bike that we’ve tested in the last 2 or 3 years. The Fly 9357 takes you higher, farther, and faster than your lactate threshold ever imagined – at a price that isn’t too outrageous.”

    IMMORTAL SPIRIT – VELO NEWS – “Value leader Motobecane has an assortment of high-quality bicycles at jaw-dropping low prices. The 15.4 lb Immortal Force boasts full carbon construction and complete Dura-Ace. In business since 1923, Motobecane has most recently focused on outstanding value.”

    NEMESIS – TRIATHLETE MAGAZINE – “Shed some pounds and lose some drag with what’s trick, Motobecane is into triathlon.”

    IMMORTAL SPIRIT – BICYCLING MAGAZINE – “Your friends will drool over the Immortal Spirit until you drop them. The overall ride is truly amazing.”


    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    maybe all these guys need to call you Mr Bigpedaler and get your advise
    better yet you should call them all now and warn them as several other write-ups are about to come out on Fantoms, Flys, and Immortals

  32. #32
    flow where ever you go
    Reputation: noshortcuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,520

    Please, please dont buy this craaa* advice

    Quote Originally Posted by Orca
    I am no longer associated with LBS, so I am not threatened. I have seen both sides of the story, buying from LBS and online. that was my point. Also, "RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN" was not my statement....
    No, you did not say run as far as you can, you said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Orca
    what ever you buy Please, please dont buy Motobecane or IBEX....
    IF you have experience worthy of telling people NOT to buy two entire brands of bikes, it did NOT come through in your long attempt to defend yourself.

  33. #33
    inner peace to make peace
    Reputation: TrailNut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,284

    Good job! Motobecane Fly Team's an A+ quality

    Our Motobecane Fly Team al. hardtail has been raced, seriously, three out of the last four years.
    Fast climbing frame.
    The whole XTR bike weighed 1/3rd of a pound heavier than advertised, but it's common for companies to exaggerate weights or weigh their smaller frame. The only problem was a broken derailler hanger during a ride, was promptly replaced by BikesDirect: excellent customer service. Rear wheel was replaced once, but who races more than two full seasons on any light wheelset?

    Motobecane Fly Team al. hardtail bike's a sweet value. We know from experience.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.