$800-$1200 + Other questions...- Mtbr.com
    -Fly you fools!-

$800-$1200 + Other questions...

Hey everybody!

I just signed up and have a bunch of things to ask...But first a little background. I'm Scott, 17, and live in central Jersey. Within a half hour from Hartshorne, and 10 minutes from Tatum for those of you that are local....Haven't mountain biked before, but used to ride motocross. The money for my bike is coming from my dirtbike which I just sold...So anyway, here goes...

1.) What bike do you think I should get...? I have between $800 and $1200 to spend. I'd PREFER not to spend more than $1000, but I'll spend the extra 200 if deemed necessary.

I have no real preference as to HT or FS. I'd like to get a FS, but I realize with my fairly low budget, I'd get a better quality HT than an FS for the same price...

2.) This is more for local guys....Where should I purchase the bike? Are there any good shops by me? I live in the Middletown/Red Bank area and the only shops I really know around here are the Peddler and Bike Haven....

....Could've sworn I had more to ask, but it's late and I can't think right now. Guess I'll just post if I can think of any more....

Thanks in advanced,
    Scott.

Freshly Fujified

More info, please

First off, welcome to the site. You'll find a great deal of helpful info here. We need to know a few more things. First, how much do you weigh and what type of riding do you plan to do? It's gonna be hard to make a recommendation without this type of info. From there, we can point you in the right direction.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

-Fly you fools!-
    Hey. I'm about 5' 10" and weigh about 175. I dont really know what kind of riding I'm going to do because I haven't really done any actual riding yet. All I know is it's not going to be dirt jumping. More like trails, XC, downhill....

Dirt Huffer
    $800

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I also use to race dirtbikes in my younger years. One thing you will find out when you cross from motorcycles to bicycles is now you are the engine because of that you would like a relatively light and efficient pedaling bicycle. Everything else, bike handling, bike maintenance and the joy of being on two wheels on the dirt is for all intents and purposes the same.

I would guide you first to check out the bicycle shops in your area. See what brand of bicycles they have, talked to the people there about each bike's warranty, the bike shop's after-market service and how knowlegeable/honest/helpful they are to customers. Demo the bikes in your price range you are attracted to in the parking lot. Then come back here for your questions.

For first time buyers, I would advise to buy local. You should be 100% positive the bicycle you are buying is what you want in terms of fit, appearance and function. You can only do this by actually touching and riding the bike.

-Fly you fools!-
    I was only able to get to one shop today. They had a nice Kona there. Kikapu I think. It was $1200, I think it had an upgraded shock and some other stuff. Might go back in the next few days and find out more...

-Fly you fools!-
    Bump. Any ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Kikapu is only $999. This is on their websites.

You have to compare it with other brands. Find 2 or 3 bikes that seems nice to you. Ride or demo them, even in the parking lot only. See if one makes you smile. If not, move on to other bike shops.

Bicycles are different from Motorcycles in that they come in sizes not engine displacement. Bicycle manufacturers have different sets of measurements for a given size so they fit differently. Kikapus are nice but if you don't have anything to compare it with, how could you say it is the best buy for your money or just simply the best for you?

-Fly you fools!-
    Yeah, I know I'll have to get a few in mind and narrow it down. And I also know about the size's and such....I'm going to two well known local shops on saturday, so we'll see what I think when I get back...

I was really just looking for early suggestions that I could look for when I go out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Okay here are two bikes in your price range. The Stumpjumper is a hardtail with a cutting edge frame and top of the line fork but with rim brakes. The other link, the FSRxc is Specialized entry level full suspension. This frame was a Stumpjumper the previous years. Specialized passes down to lower models their dated models when they have new innovations on their frames. Marketing hype? I don't know. Anyway, what you get with the FSRxc are components below the level of what the Stumpjumper has. The hardtail will be lighter, will pedal more efficiently while the FSRxc because of rear suspension will be more comfortable on the trails. But heavier in terms of weight because of the frame and inferior components (relative to the Stumpy).

Iam using Specialized as an example because this is what Iam familiar with as I always see them on the floor of my LBS. FWIW, they are 10% off msrp.

Stumpjumper HT

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12984

Specialized FSRxc Comp

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=12804

ride hard take risks

-Fly you fools!-
    Ok. Well I went to a couple shops today, and think the Kona is still looking best. Now it's an '05 Kikapu, which has slightly better parts....I've posted the two specs. One for the '05 and on for the '06. The '05 costs $1099....So do you think it's worth it? Also, I know Kona makes pretty strong frames, but I just wanna make sure that if stuff breaks, would it be woth while keeping this frame for a long while and upgrading stuff...?

Thanks in advanced.

Here are the specs:
    '05....
    Fork Marzocchi MZ Comp 100mm
    Headset Aheadset STS
    Rear shock Fox Float
    Braze-on fittings 2 bottles, fender, Disc brake tabs
    Crankarms TruVativ Blaze ISIS
    Chainrings 44/32/22
    B/B TruVativ ISIS
    Pedals Shimano PD-M505 clipless
    Chain Shimano CN-HG53 (9sp)
    Cassette Shimano Deore 11-32 9 speed
    F/D Shimano Deore
    R/D Shimano Deore LX
    Shifters Shimano Deore
    Handlebar Kona Aluminum Riser
    Stem Kona Control
    Grips Kona Mooseknuckle
    Brakes Shimano BR-M465
    Brake Levers Avid Disc brake lever FR-5
    Front hub KK Disc
    Rear hub Shimano Disc FH-M475
    Spokes Stainless 15G front, 14G rear
    Tires Tioga Red Phoenix 26 x 2.0
    Rims Sun Black Eye
    Saddle WTB Pure V sport
    Seatpost Kalloy SP-359
    Seat clamp Kona QR

'06.....
    Rear shock Fox Vanilla
    Fork Marzocchi MZ-3
    Braze-on fittings 2 bottles, fender, Disc brake tabs
    Headset Aheadset STS
    Crankarms TruVativ FiveD
    Chainrings 44/32/22
    B/B TruVativ Square LE
    Pedals Wellgo LU-A9 w/clips & straps
    Chain Shimano IG-70 / IG-31 KMC
    Cassette SHIMANO CS-HG 50 11-32 8 speed
    F/D Shimano Acera-X
    R/D Shimano Deore
    Shifters Shimano Alivio
    Handlebar Kona Aluminum Riser
    Stem Kona Control
    Grips Kona Mooseknuckle
    Brakes Hayes MX2 Mechanical disc
    Brake Levers Avid Disc FR-5
    Front hub KK Disc
    Rear hub Shimano FH-M475 disc
    Spokes Stainless 14g fr/14g rr
    Tires Nokian NBT 26 x 2.1
    Rims Sun Black Eye
    Saddle WTB Laser V Sport
    Seatpost Kona Thumb
    Seat clamp Kona QR

ride hard take risks
    Go for the '05 better spec's

What bike is that in you avitar

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I am with Dogon on this one. MSRP for the '05 is $1,099 while the '06 is $999. With the same frame, the '05 must have cost more in specs.

I am just wondering why an '05 which will be almost 2 years old is still selling at msrp for $1,099??? I would put on a poker face and show interest with the '06... then casually ask if they can discount the '05

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by older guy
    I am with Dogon on this one. MSRP for the '05 is $1,099 while the '06 is $999. With the same frame, the '05 must have cost more in specs.

I am just wondering why an '05 which will be almost 2 years old is still selling at msrp for $1,099??? I would put on a poker face and show interest with the '06... then casually ask if they can discount the '05
    Thanx for catching me on the price

-Fly you fools!-
    Alright, so you guys think go with the '05 because of the better specs?

And since the frame is the same, should I just stick with the regular Kikapu Vs. the Kikapu Deluxe, since if I'm keeping it for a while, I'm gonna upgrade down the line so why waste the money now....?

Again, thanks in advance for your help fella's!

And Dog, the bike in my avitar is my motorcycle. 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6

ride hard take risks
    Sweet, been riding moto since 1974 here!!

-Fly you fools!-
    Sweet! I just sold my dirtbike. '01 YZ125. That's where the mountain bike money is coming from.

-Fly you fools!-
    Ok, a few more questions and I think I'll be positive about getting this bike(the '05 ofcourse)...

1.) ...I know Kona makes pretty strong frames, but I just wanna make sure that if stuff breaks, would it be woth while keeping this frame for a long while and upgrading stuff...?

2.) And since the frame is the same, should I just stick with the regular Kikapu Vs. the Kikapu Deluxe? Considering I'm new to the sport and will probably be keeping it for a while, and can just upgrade components down the line so why waste the money now....?

3.) And lastly, or so I believe, do you think all the components are good enough/decent? I know I'm new to the sport and won't be needing anything rediculous, but I'm a pretty quick learner and like to have the best stuff(who doesn't), so I just wanna make sure I'm not going to out preform or break some of this stuff in a week or two!?!?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Scott.

ride hard take risks
    On Konas web site the '06 Kikapu is $999 & the Delux is $1299. So are you looking at the Delux for $1099 + tax & all that

Check out a Ibex, net company buy direct.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/APG-SPT-LT-Details.html

-Fly you fools!-
    I'm looking at a regular '05 Kikapu. Better specs than an '06 but less than a deluxe.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty878
    Ok, a few more questions and I think I'll be positive about getting this bike(the '05 ofcourse)...

1.) ...I know Kona makes pretty strong frames, but I just wanna make sure that if stuff breaks, would it be woth while keeping this frame for a long while and upgrading stuff...?

2.) And since the frame is the same, should I just stick with the regular Kikapu Vs. the Kikapu Deluxe? Considering I'm new to the sport and will probably be keeping it for a while, and can just upgrade components down the line so why waste the money now....?

3.) And lastly, or so I believe, do you think all the components are good enough/decent? I know I'm new to the sport and won't be needing anything rediculous, but I'm a pretty quick learner and like to have the best stuff(who doesn't), so I just wanna make sure I'm not going to out preform or break some of this stuff in a week or two!?!?

Again, thanks for all your help!

Scott.
    On question No. 1 - yes, the King has the same frame.
    On No. 2 - I don't see any substantial upgrades to justify the extra $200-300 for the DeLuxe.
    On No. 3 - The parts/specs are name brands and look solid, anyway barring any crashes, everything should be covered with warranty, keep the receipt to substantiate the '05 was just newly bought.

I had a YZ 125 in the mid '70s - first monochock with a whopping(then) 4-5 inches travel

ride hard take risks
    I'm looking at a regular '05 Kikapu. Better specs than an '06 but less than a deluxe.....
    Well Kona has the '06 listed on ther site at $999 so if your going to pay $1099 for a '05 then you are getting reamed dry. A old bike sitting on the floor that long & the '07's are right around the corner is loosing value rapidly, they should be almost giving it to you above cost to get it off the floor, unless they are really good sales people & convinced you it gains value as it gets older.

ride hard take risks
    I had a YZ 125 in the mid '70s - first monochock with a whopping(then) 4-5 inches travel
    How about that SC500 4 speed, whooohooo

-Fly you fools!-
    On question No. 1 - yes, the King has the same frame.
    On No. 2 - I don't see any substantial upgrades to justify the extra $200-300 for the DeLuxe.
    On No. 3 - The parts/specs are name brands and look solid, anyway barring any crashes, everything should be covered with warranty, keep the receipt to substantiate the '05 was just newly bought.
    Sweet, thats pretty much what I wanted to hear!

And dog, I dont plan on paying MSRP for the bike...Next time I go in I'm gonna see what I can do!

ride hard take risks
    Sweet, thats pretty much what I wanted to hear!

And dog, I dont plan on paying MSRP for the bike...Next time I go in I'm gonna see what I can do!
    Great if you do you owe me your street bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Great if you do you owe me your street bike.
    Dog, I don't think you'll like Scotty's street bike. It's not an Ibex

-Fly you fools!-
    lol...

ride hard take risks

Members who have read this thread: 0