trekker
    Jul 2005

$500-750 mtb questions

I've been riding my Trek 3900 bike pretty hard for the past few months. I've learned to like some parts (brakes were actually decent), and hate others (derailleurs, fork). Iim taking this to school with me and I want to buy a trails mtb between $500-750.

I'm mostly on trails with a few smaller (2-4ft high) jumps, lots of logs between 6"-2ft. I just want a quality ride and one that doesn't screw up every time you try to shift it.

Any ideas what would suit me best? Lighter would be better, but I just want something quality. Also, what size frame should I get? I'm 5'8" 155lbs (looking to bulk up to 165ish).

Thanks,
    James

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    I've been riding my Trek 3900 bike pretty hard for the past few months. I've learned to like some parts (brakes were actually decent), and hate others (derailleurs, fork). Iim taking this to school with me and I want to buy a trails mtb between $500-750.

I'm mostly on trails with a few smaller (2-4ft high) jumps, lots of logs between 6"-2ft. I just want a quality ride and one that doesn't screw up every time you try to shift it.

Any ideas what would suit me best? Lighter would be better, but I just want something quality. Also, what size frame should I get? I'm 5'8" 155lbs (looking to bulk up to 165ish).

Thanks,
    James
    Supergo has Iron Horse Rogue on sale for around $500-$550 range. It has nice components for the price including Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, so check it out. Another recommendation might be Gary Fisher Tassjara.

ballbuster

Keep the Trek

... for school commuting, and a nice trailbike that stays some place safe. At school, anything nice will get ripped off. For bonus points, get some 1" or 1.25" slick tires and pump them up to 80 psi for massive speed.

Just about everybody makes a good hardtail for $500-750. Even some decent FS bikes fall in your range. Jamis Dakar, Iron Horse and others can fall in that range.

Anything will fall apart if you don't take carre of it. Even $300 bikes should hold up just fine. I'm not sure a $750 bike will hold up any better than a $300 if not cared for.

brother on a mission
    If derailleurs have you down, try a single speed. They are very little maintenance, cheap, and fast. IROcycles has one that is very reasonably priced.

mtbr member
    You should definately check out that Ironhorse Rogue. For 550 bucks you can't beat it. Ibex has some nice bikes, they only sell online though. I have an Ibex Trophy 880 disc and I'm 100% satisfied with it. Most medium size frames should fit you pretty well.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-770-Disc-Details.html
    http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...04&referpage=#
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    You should definately check out that Ironhorse Rogue. For 550 bucks you can't beat it. Ibex has some nice bikes, they only sell online though. I have an Ibex Trophy 880 disc and I'm 100% satisfied with it. Most medium size frames should fit you pretty well.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-770-Disc-Details.html
    http://www.supergo.com/profile.cfm?L...04&referpage=#
    If you live near a Supergo, you might be in luck. Till 7/25, they have Rogue for $499. This pricing from their latest flyer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If single speed is something that interests you a redline mono-cog is a sweet ride for under $500
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

trekker
    Jul 2005
    Not a fan of singlespeed. I had enough of that in the BMX days.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Any other ideas? I'm not going to go with a FS, it's just not for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonnitro
    Not a fan of singlespeed. I had enough of that in the BMX days.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Any other ideas? I'm not going to go with a FS, it's just not for me.
    I picked up a Motobecane 700HT off ebay, brand new for $480 shipped. I've been pretty happy with it considering how much it was, the reviews on here say the same thing, good for what you pay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    what are the weakpoints of the 700ht? I'm looking for some more info on that bike.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoldDaMayo
    what are the weakpoints of the 700ht? I'm looking for some more info on that bike.

Thanks
    Fork sucks, but it works. I broke the chain on my 2nd ride (could have been bad shifting technique but still) and the XT derailleur was collateral damage (replaced with SRAM X.7 RD and shifters, very happy with those). The cranks are a little flexy but I'm a clyde. Other than that I'm very happy for the amount I spent. This was my first bike in 10 years and I had my cycling/mtb'ing friends check it out and they gave me the green light. If I had it to do over again I'd buy it again. If I knew then what I know now (that I like mtb'ing) then I would have spent the extra $300 for a Kona Hoss, but you just never know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

jamis

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... for school commuting, and a nice trailbike that stays some place safe. At school, anything nice will get ripped off. For bonus points, get some 1" or 1.25" slick tires and pump them up to 80 psi for massive speed.

Just about everybody makes a good hardtail for $500-750. Even some decent FS bikes fall in your range. Jamis Dakar, Iron Horse and others can fall in that range.

Anything will fall apart if you don't take carre of it. Even $300 bikes should hold up just fine. I'm not sure a $750 bike will hold up any better than a $300 if not cared for.
    yah jamis is nice