$1k?- Mtbr.com

Thread: $1k?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

$1k?

I'm on a budget of around $1000 (us), and would like to buy a good hardtail mtb. The lbs's sell Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Giant, and something else (cheap). I would like to buy local so that I can ride the bike before purchasing. Right now I am looking at the Cannnondale F600, is this a trail worthy bike? what is better that is in my range?

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I don't know what is better, I do know that my friend has the F600 Cannondale and swears by it. I've only been on it a little bit and never on the harsher parts of the trail but it is very nice.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    I paid 999 for my 06 TREK 6700 and I love it. What a great bike for the money. Check one out if you get the chance.
    06 Rocky Mountain ETSX - Full XTR, Fox Shox, Crossmax XL Wheels

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I rode an F600 last week (the raw finish frame looks SWEET) and I thought it was a very sweet bike. In fact, I loved the way it felt. Still not sure about the head shock, but the frame is incredible. HOWEVER, the local Trek dealer had 2005 Klein Attitude V's for 30% off and I pulled the trigger on one of those. The Klein frame is probably a little more "premium" than the F600 and the components are quite a bit better. I would inquire with the Trek dealer and see if they can get one. SWEET ride.

You really can't go wrong with the F600 though.

w

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    awesome
    My dealer doesn't have any kleins so they are out of my price range
    I am going to ride the f600 and the 6700

mtbr member
    Before buying my Stumpy I also rode the F600 and really liked it, but I couldn't get past the head shock. It did seem to work well, though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Why do people have problem with the headshock?

It has a lock out which I think will be a nice feature for me.
    I know it doesn't have quite as much travel as a regular shock but it is really light. Is there something else, or is it people just don't like the way it looks?
    Last edited by michaelg; 05-12-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Freshly Fujified

Proprietary suspension

Quote Originally Posted by michaelg
    Why do people have problem with th headshock?
    To me personally, the proprietary nature of the Headshock is it's major downside. With a standard front fork, you have multiple choices of manufacturers, damping styles, coil types and options. If you like the headshock, then by all means, buy the bike. Beware that it's going to be a very long relationship, as there are very few alternatives as I understand it.

Just my thoughts as always.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Very True
    but if needed couldn't i scrap the headshock and go with a regular fork?

ride hard take risks
    Very True
    but if needed couldn't i scrap the headshock and go with a regular fork?
    You need to be carefull when doing that because most of the forks hit the down tube. Cannondale does make a steel adaptor for this that slips into the steer tube to extend the bearing race lower. The spacer is about 1/2 inch lower so it will rake out the front end. If you ride without the adaptor you will damage your fork & frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ok well the f600 large is apparently on back order and my lbs doesn't know when he will get any in my size. He has had them ordered for 3 weeks. The trek 6700 sounds nice and the lbs ordered me one in my size to check out, so if all goes well with it, I will probably buy it. Although I would really like to take the f600 out for a spin before I make up my mind.

ride hard take risks
    You'll be happyer with the Trek, different is'nt always better.

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Trust me, when ya see the 6700 you're gonna love it. I put alot of miles on mine so far and no complaints. I was unsure if I was gonna like SRAM, but I ended up loving it. Make sure though, that you swap out the pedals if you go with the 6700, For another 20 dollars, get the shimano spd520 pedals. The 505's are crap.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    already did that.
    I told the guy i wanted a clipless pedal with a platform similar to the time z control, so that I can use the bike without bike shoes if I want
    I am convinced that anything sram is better than shimano

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Have the hayes brakes given you any beef?

Work Hard, Play Harder
    Have the hayes brakes given you any beef?

None whatsoever. They feel really smooth when ya hit the lever and they stop great. Only took like 2 rides to break in too. Only prob I had was one of the sram shifters broke but my lbs repalced it under warranty and I had the new one in a few days

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    I paid 999 for my 06 TREK 6700 and I love it. What a great bike for the money. Check one out if you get the chance.
    I've been thinking about going with the 6700 for a while. I haven't been able to ride it yet, but one thing someone warned me about was that it's specs make it a very twitchy ride and that has an uncomfortable riding position. i'm never going to be racing, rather using the bike mostly on gravel roads or paved bike paths in the city...although i'd like to do some very basic trail riding. do you think this bike would be ok for a casual rider like myself?

Work Hard, Play Harder
    For me, the riding postion on TREK hardtails is perfect. That's why I stayed with them when I bought my new bike this year. I immediately swapped out the saddle for a WTB rocket v stealth because I don't like the way the bontrager saddles feel. The bars were also very high up. I think TREK makes them that way so you have the option to leave them high or cut the steerer tube down. What I did was take the bike to my lbs and he took one spacer out and cut my steerer tube down a little. I don't know what they meant by twitchy though. I ride this bike on some very technical singletrack and It takes anything I throw at it like a champ. Steep climbs, rocky and rooty downhills, tight turns, trees, logs, etc. If you are looking for a trail bike I say check it out. For 1,000 bucks, you get hydraulic discs, SRAM X-9, and a pretty damn good fork with a lock-out. Everyone's body is different though so what feels good to me might not feel comfortable for you. Just test a few bikes and base your decision on how comfortable they feel for you. If most of your riding is gonna be done on roads and paths though, I would look at a hybrid bike instead. Mountain bikes are generally alot slower on roads and not as comfortable. Check out the Gary Fisher Utopia. I think this bike might suit your needs a little better. I almost bought one at one point and it looks like a pretty sweet bike. Either way, keep us posted on what ya decide. Hope I was helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ice how much does your 6700 weigh and what size is it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I gotta disagree about the hybrid - riding position isn't nearly as "agressive" as a mountain bike and I'm willing to bet I could blow by someone riding a hybrid on the road. The fact is, if you are going to have only one bike, a MTB is what you should have if you plan to ride on multiple surfaces. Swap out the knobbies with a pair of semi-slicks and that 6700 is a pretty solid road bike capable of being ridden comfortably for long rides (50 miles or more). Is it as good as a road bike? Nope. But it can be ridden anywhere the rider wishes to go, which is a huge upside if you ask me. I rode my Klein nearly 20 miles on the road today and it felt GREAT! As long as you have a light, stiff, responsive frame, you can turn any MTB into a good "fitness" road bike.

Hybrids are for old ladies if you ask me...and you cannot take a hybrid on a real trail. Forget about it.

w

Work Hard, Play Harder
    My 6700 is a 17.5 medium size. Not sure of the weight though, but definitley lighter than stock due to all of my upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A buddy of mine has last years F600 and he already had to rebuild the suspension twice. he only weights 150 lbs and isnt aggressive at all.... i dont think the lock out has a blow out valve so be carefull.... .i tried it when it was new and it worked well....... but a good bang for the $ bike is the giant rainier (i'm refering to the canadian one)... the trek 6700 is a nice bike also...... but if you want to save a few $ and want a tough bike take a look at the rainier

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ice25gt
    My 6700 is a 17.5 medium size. Not sure of the weight though, but definitley lighter than stock due to all of my upgrades.

I have A TREK 8000 (2006) and it's weight is about 24 pounds so it could give an idea of the weight of the 6700 (probably 26 to 27 pounds) I tried both bikes and they ride superbly... So go for TREK and have fun

Members who have read this thread: 0