$1000 freeride bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

$1000 freeride bike

I am looking for a freeride bike that is spec'ed well and will hold up to a little abuse. I found both of these and was wondering which one was better for the price and why.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ATLAS-SPT-Details.html
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

squish is good
    The Ibex by far. It's more spendy, but upgrading the brakes and tires on the Iron Horse will eat up the difference, and then you'd still be looking at derailleurs, wheel set, etc. The component spec on the Ibex is defenitely superior. Keep in mind, you have to assemble either of these bikes.

I did just notice the ad banner on the site that says the '06 Yakuza Aniki is going for $549 for a sale though, so in that case, thats the deal I'd go with. http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....&engine=MTBR_3

One last thought, when it comes to freeride, your talking about doing some pretty rough stuff and a grand isn't alot when it comes to mountain bikes. It will definitely pay off to spend more bucks in this area. Just remember that the next time your looking at doing a 15 ft drop that you bought the bargain bike... I don't mean to be a bummer but I've seen $2500 frames break before and a complete bike costing 1/5th that kind of scares me.

mtbr member
    The Ibex Atlas is not a FR bike... it's an AM bike... Ibex has discontinued their FR model. I got one of the last ones thank god... however, it would definitely beat the Aniki IMO... But thats also cause of the difference price range... if you can bump up your budget, rscycles has the 7point3 going for 1099 i think...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had always thought of free ride and all mountain as the same thing: the ability to pedal up the trail without an enormous amount of trouble and being able to bomb down the same trail, albeit taking it slower and easier lines than on a downhill bike. Am I wrong and if so what is the difference?

mtbr member
    Well, if that's your interpretation, then an AM bike will suit you fine.

Everybody has their own thoughts on what AM/FR generally is, but usually FR is bigger drops?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cshoing
    I had always thought of free ride and all mountain as the same thing: the ability to pedal up the trail without an enormous amount of trouble and being able to bomb down the same trail, albeit taking it slower and easier lines than on a downhill bike. Am I wrong and if so what is the difference?
    free ride and all mountain are different... free ride usually involves pushing up a trail... bikes are usually above 40lbs... All mountain bikes are usually above 35lbs... Freeride is usually sessioning some jumps, drops, shuttled runs, etc... AM is like a more agressive version of XC... But really depends on what you're going to be riding... Both bikes will serve you well if you are not looking to do 7' drops to flat...

The Aniki is an entry level FR bike meant to bring people into the FR world without breaking the bank as you can see FR bikes can be expensive. However, with an FR bike that cheap, it's probably gonna be very heavy and not worthy of climbing, it's gonna have really entry lever suspension, and hayes sole is horrible...

The Atlas is an AM rig... It's meant to go up and to go down. It can handle drops and jumps. But if you want to be like Bender, then it's a no no...

Members who have read this thread: 0