Youth Bikes Between Typical Kids / Adult Sizes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2020

Youth Bikes Between Typical Kids / Adult Sizes

Hi everyone! I have four kids, and the oldest two (8 and 10 years old) are both close to 4'9'' and growing fast. They're long legged, and their 24'' kids bikes are too small, so I'm looking for good entry level mountain bike options for around $500 to $600. I've been trying to find 26 or 26+ (and maybe 27.5) wheels on XS or S frames, and they've tried a few out.

I'd like to know any thoughts on which of the following should win out, and will certainly take other recommendations:

Jamis Komodo Sport 26+

Haro Flightline 26+

Giant ATX 3

Marin Bolinas Ridge 1

Trek 820

I'm leaning toward the Jamis Komdo, as the components seem a bit better, but would certainly appreciate some advice!

Thanks,

Tim

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Duplicate.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    You've got the advantage of some hand-me-downs on the bikes, so that takes some of the sting away.

I'm a bit curious why 4 of the bikes are around the $400 price point, while the Komodo is $1000. I can see why you like Komodo, but you aren't comparing the same bike levels from each manufacturers. They all have similar ones if you want to spend that much, so you might consider a broader search.

Re the 26+ bike, that is effectively a 27.5 wheel, and quite frankly you'll have a better time selling a 27.5 down the road, than a 26" given the market. Also, I didn't see an XS size available for all the bikes you listed, so that's something to consider.

FWIW, I have a lanky 12-year-old, and we bought him an XS 27.5 a couple of years ago. It was a bit too big at first, but now perfect, and we'll be able to sell it fairly easy when he grows out of it.

mtbr member
    The Trek 820 is not really even a mountain bike. It won't survive the abuse that kids put out.

Have you looked at Frog Bikes? https://www.readysetpedal.com/collec...hoCKSQQAvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thanks for your reply - I have looked a little bit at Frog, but it seemed like they either had 24'' or smaller, or pricier adult ranges. But I'll give them a more thorough search.

Regarding the Trek, one of the shops nearby had one and was encouraging me to go that way. I wasn't a fan (though my boys liked the ride), but I figured I'd leave it on in the name of...I dunno, science?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Thanks, phlegm. I was able to find the Jamison for $500 (I know the sale might skew the rest of the comparison). Between that and the components, that's where I'm leaning, but certainly could use other input.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TimWilGro View Post
    Thanks, phlegm. I was able to find the Jamison for $500
    Easily the best choice then.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TimWilGro View Post
    I have looked a little bit at Frog, but it seemed like they either had 24'' or smaller.

Regarding the Trek, one of the shops nearby had one and was encouraging me to go that way.
    I worked in a few Trek dealers and saw a lot of shredded 820s. It's basically a granny bike for slow paced bike path cruising but built to look like a mtb. Trek does not (or did not) even market it as a mountain bike but as a "city/ trekking bike."

Frog has 26" bikes for older kids. I was very close to buying one for my wife because she's petite enough that she can barely fit on and control a small women's mountain bike. https://www.readysetpedal.com/collec...ikes-10-14-yrs
    Yeah, they are a bit pricey but I expect they will ride much better than a XS adult bike, and fit better than kids bikes. They should hold some value as well. Most adult bikes have to be designed to support a 300 pound rider, so kid's bikes are made a lot lighter.