mtbr member
    Aug 2009

yet another bike size questions

I am 28 and just started riding again about 7 mo ago. I bought my first nice bike when I was a freshman in high school. I was about 5 feet tall then, but the bike seemed to still fit me now that I am 5-9. I just bought a newer hard tail, and I got about the same size because it felt right to me. It is a medium, or 17.5. I have started to look at road bikes a little, that and as I have been adjusting my seat height a little, I realized I am pretty close to the end of the seat post. I think I need to move up to a large bike.

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    I am 28 and just started riding again about 7 mo ago. I bought my first nice bike when I was a freshman in high school. I was about 5 feet tall then, but the bike seemed to still fit me now that I am 5-9. I just bought a newer hard tail, and I got about the same size because it felt right to me. It is a medium, or 17.5. I have started to look at road bikes a little, that and as I have been adjusting my seat height a little, I realized I am pretty close to the end of the seat post. I think I need to move up to a large bike.
    Or get a longer seatpost. If everything else fits and feels right...just go with a longer seatpost. You should be fine with a medium frame at your height.
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah, you definitely don't want to be riding at the end of the seat post's length--there needs to be some length down the tube.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have about 2 inches in the frame. I think riding this bike is safe, I was just thinking a larger bike might be more comfortable, or easier to ride or something. I have never really ridden a larger bike, I guess I will have to try one sometime.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyrunner99
    When you were 5' tall the bike you had might have been a little large for you. I don't see how growing 9 inches that you could ride the same size bike. Your arms and legs must be longer now than when you were 5', right? Go to a couple of bike shops and sit on or test ride bikes in the 17, 18, 19 inch range and see how those feel. If you have to keep raising the seatpost up, there's a good chance you may require a larger bike.

mtbr member
    Bike sizes are a funny topic. In essence the categories of S, M, L are misleading. I am about 5'10" and ride one manufacturer's M and another's L. Each manufacturer has a different opinion where M stops and L starts.

Also, the usually given length of the seat tube (aka 17.5") is a minor indicator of bike fit. The more important measure is effective length of the top tube. The effective (horizontal) length of the TT determines your position on the bike. Streched out or cramped in.

Finally: There are different body geometries. From short torso/long legs to long torso/short legs (and everything in between). Body geometry has a huge impact on what really fits. A short torso person might fit a medium where a long torso person would want the large frame.

So you really want to test ride different sizes.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Members who have read this thread: 0