XL Bike Frame... Noob question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XL Bike Frame... Noob question

Ok yesterday I rode 2 MTB's. The LBS put me on an XL frame. I'm 6'3 and it felt like I was really high off the ground. I could not just sit on the seat and start peddling. I had to hop up to begin. Is this normal? I have never had a bike properly fitted before. All the bikes I have had I have been able to firmly put my feet on the ground first.

I live to bike
    That's normal. When you have the seat at the proper height, you will only be able to barely tip-toe the ground.

Even if you sat on a size extra small, you would put a super long seatpost on so you could get the seat to the proper height. ('course, the handlebars would be way too close to you as the top tube would be too short).

The XL should be a decent place to start fit-wise at your height. Depending on your body proportions and riding preferences, you might like a large. But you would still have the seat way up.

The reason is that you want to have almost full leg extension at the bottom of the pedal stroke. If you do not get enough extensioin, it will cause knee pain on a longer ride or up a hill. Also, proper leg extension will enable you to get the most power and efficiency out of your pedaling. And since the pedals need to be several inches off the ground so you don't hit the ground with them, or rocks, etc., it means you won't be able to put both feed firmly on the ground.

Simply put, you were used to bikes that either didn't fit you, or at least that you did not raise the seat up for best pedaling performance.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    What Jwiffle said ^^

I ride XXS bikes and have to get off the seat and lean the bike partially over to get one foot down flat. Perfectly normal.

Try some different bikes though as well. None will allow you to sit flatfooted with a proper saddle adjustment, but some do feel more like you are riding "on top of the bike" vs. "in the bike" based on geometry and other factors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm 6'3" also and i have L Giant Iguana and Xl Gt Avalanche 2.0 bikes.I perfer the XL GT over my L Giant The XL seems to fit better and i can't touch the ground on both bikes with the seat in the right position.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Right on thanks everyone!

Members who have read this thread: 0