mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Woot hooked on biking again

I picked up a trek 4300 on the cheap from my LBS

I took it out for its first ride today.

I road over 32 miles round trip on a nice paved bike path here in southeastern Ohio.

I learned two important things:
    1. I need to wear padded bike shorts
    2. I am out of shape

Stopped back at the LBS and picked up a new pair of hoss ponderosa shorts

I can see how people get sucked into this sport.

mtbr member
    Yep, I get on my bike and I'm 12 again. Except I get tired. And my bike cost a lot.

Dirt Deviant
    Sweet Dr.N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad you got back into it.......and you learned fast about the shorts. I just recently got some Ponderosa shorts, and totally fell in love with them. Gonna order 2 more pairs.
    I've always liked smaller comp style saddles, and they are always a$$ unfriendly. I run an SDG Comp, and it is smaller than a WTB Speed V. I put in 1500 miles in the last 10 months on it, and my butt stopped hurting about 200 miles into that.....but after getting my hoss's (my first real riding shorts) it is now like sitting on a couch.....LOL

Hahaha Lauren, I used to think my bikes were expensive when I was 12.......and when I was 14 I was building BMX bikes that were about $800.
    My most recent build ( 20 years later) was only $1200, but I am now building another bike that is more like $3000. LOL. It doesn't stop getting fun though.......and I still feel like I'm 12, but now I don't have to ask mom for build money.

Dr.N. 32 miles is a hell of a good first ride. You won't be outta shape for long if you keep that up. Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    yeah it was on pretty flat, paved bike path with lots of bridges and sheltered woods

hockhocking adena bikeway

google it. Nice trail and quite fun to ride. See lots of people on it on the weekends, but during the week it's pretty bare. I love it.

Dirt Deviant
    Sounds nice man. I live about 15 feet from the Iron Horse Trail in the Bay Area in cali.
    Sometimes I just feel like going for a quick jaunt and don't wanna get all geared up for a trail ride so I just go out my door and am on the bike path. It also is a straight shot to all the local stores which is great because it is a trail just for biking and walking, hence no cars. If I go south on it it is a nice uphill grade which makes for a good workout if you take it 10-15 miles and then head back.
    http://www.ebparks.org/parks/trails/iron_horse#mileage
    It gets alot of use and most of the people are very friendly that use it, aside from a few that don't pick up after their dogs. I hate hitting land mines, or dog logs as I call em.
    They made the path from an old abandoned railroad that used to run here. It is very well maintained.
    Ride On!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Wow I am in envy of you. It is a 4 mile ride to the actual trail from my house on a bad high way or a horrible curvy country road that is cruised on by idiots in their huge pick ups who like to ride in the middle of the road around corners. I have to just load my bike up on the back of the jeep and drive to the trail head unfortunately. Next place I live will be close to the bike path, ie, 1/2 mile on good road to get there.

I love the bike path

Dirt Deviant
    Nothing wrong with cruising the path. ABout 4 miles into my ride off the side of the path are a couple of cool jumps. The first one is through a creekbed which drops about 6 feet down off the trail to a steep transition which has a 2 foot jump off the top of that. In essance it is about a 7 foot jump and lands to flat, then you cross back through the creek and hit the second one which is about 5 feet. Up the path about 1 mile from there is a cool 2 foot jump which is just a few feet off the path. This one is flatter. I hit it going about 20 mph. It rises up 2 feet and has a smooth transition, so even though I only get about 2 feet off the top of the lip, I am about 4 feet off the ground before I land. I usually session this one about 5-10 times. It's cool because you can hit it both ways. I spices up riding the path, and makes for some good photo ops when I can get the little lady to join me.....hehehe

Members who have read this thread: 0