Winter riding gear, shoes, jackets ect.- Mtbr.com
    banned
    Sep 2011

Winter riding gear, shoes, jackets ect.

Been riding all winter dressed in normal sweaters, jackets, boots, wind pants and things.
    All of that is much to heavy and cumbersome so I am now looking to invest in good, winter specific riding gear. I need it to be light as possible, comfy, thin, but I really hate any sort of chill while riding. I want to be able to ride a 18 degree plus day without freezing, yet wearing something light.

I looked online, but to you guys/girls...what is working for you?
    Any ideas are appreciated.

All fat, all the time.
    I just put on a pair of long johns under the baggies, wool socks and lake boots. Long sleeve under armour and a light wind breaker jacket. Decent gloves and a hat under the helmet.good into single digits.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Tights. At your temperature, maybe a second pair or a pair of wind pants over them.

Long-sleeved jersey. Maybe a light weight fleece vest, and a shell jacket. I got the Showers Pass Elite 2.0 recently and am really liking it. Expensive, but c'est la vie.

I have a fleece cycling cap I wear under my helmet when it's below freezing. Really makes that temperature more comfortable.

I haven't found a great solution for gloves, yet. That kind of temperature doesn't come up too frequently for me.

Is there snow on the ground? If so, you probably want to wear gore-tex boots and live with it. You'll need big platform pedals. If not, wool socks and shoe covers might do the job for you.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    check out the patagonia r1 fleece jacket. Its amazingly light and breathable but keeps you warm too. It doesn't keep out wind though so you'll need a wind breaker over top.

mtbr member
    I found that cycling specific winter gear makes a big difference. I wear a base layer, a long sleeved jersey, and a winter xc cycling jacket from sugoi.it's thin and easy to move in. no wind gets through, but skin can breathe.(I don't know how). I found for keeping my feet warm, my shoes can't be tight. I use both fiveten shoes, and specialized defroster xc shoes. Make sure they have lots of room for socks. I use thin sock liners that seem like nylon, and merino wool socks on top. Sometimes I use disposable heat pads also. for pants, i wear mace riding pants. Winter riding gloves with index and middle fingers separate and little finger/ring finger together.Also a helmet liner. Bought most of it at my lbs. makes riding much more enjoyable. Coldish on the road in the wind, but just right in the trails.

SANCTUS
    Quote Originally Posted by stew325 View Post
    I found that cycling specific winter gear makes a big difference. I wear a base layer, a long sleeved jersey, and a winter xc cycling jacket from sugoi.it's thin and easy to move in. no wind gets through, but skin can breathe.(I don't know how). I found for keeping my feet warm, my shoes can't be tight. I use both fiveten shoes, and specialized defroster xc shoes. Make sure they have lots of room for socks. I use thin sock liners that seem like nylon, and merino wool socks on top. Sometimes I use disposable heat pads also. for pants, i wear mace riding pants. Winter riding gloves with index and middle fingers separate and little finger/ring finger together.Also a helmet liner. Bought most of it at my lbs. makes riding much more enjoyable. Coldish on the road in the wind, but just right in the trails.
    totally agree, I use wool gloves under my lobster gloves and thats ok down to 12F, the less air between your skin and clothing the better as body heat is retained wool socks from smart wool are wonderful along with toe warmers.A shoe with out alot of mesh cuts down the unwanted ventilation.Most reliaible brand from my experience, Pearl Izuma, Louis Garneau, I have Izuma tights that are a decade old and still in great shape.Garneau is more affordable.

mtbr member
    These and a good pair of SmartWool socks with your shoes will keep your feet toasty well below the temps you are riding in:

Endura MT500 Overshoe - Men's*from .com

Also a good Windbreaker, IMHO, is the most critical piece of clothing. Stop the wind and you will need way less clothing underneath.

Ride More, Work Less
    I have more multi-purpose clothes that work well for cycling and cross country skiing.

Upper body:
    A smartwool long sleeve shirt as a base. A tight fitting polar fleece shirt with a long zipper (heat regulation). A polar fleece vest for a bit of extra warmth if really cold. Then the most important layer--a wind breaker (an old goretex jacket that isn't waterproof any more but keeps the wind out). I have a thin smartwool cap that works nicely on the head under the helmet. I also have been spotted with my jacket hood placed under the helmet too. For me, keeping my head and chest warm is a key to enjoying the outing. While this sounds like a lot, since all of this is fitted, it won't be bulky and will feel like a second skin. The more outdoor oriented stuff (instead of the department store polar fleece) will have longer tails to the shirts and will allow you to tuck the smartwool base and the polarfleece insulation layer into the tights.

Gloves:
    I picked up a pair of thin gore windstopper gloves this year. I love these but they aren't particularly warm, but the windproof makes them very nice on most days. Since they are thin, I could slip over another layer if I needed a bit more warmth.

Legs:
    I pull a pair of thermal tights (non-cycling) over a pair of spandex cycling shorts. Mine aren't windproof, but my next pair will be. As they are, they feel reasonably warm. Don't worry about what people will think if you are in tights...non-cyclists will think you are already crazy and cyclists will understand.

Socks: thick smart wool socks.

Face:
    Safety / sun glasses and some type of face shield are generally needed. Lots of options out there for these. I like the fleece kind instead of the neoprene stuff. I also like the ones that cover the neck to help keep the blood from the cold.

Once you get a collection of "stuff" to be used, you'll need to experiment with how much you need for an outing. You will want to dress so that you are cool to almost cold just standing around at the start. This keeps you from overheating once you get started and sweating like a pig.

And the final point is actually the number 1 thing--read the clothing labels and have a goal of 100% cotton free. Wool, polar fleece, and other "technical fibers" are okay.

SANCTUS
    The bike specific clothing has a different cut so your tater hole aint hanging out when your on the saddle, same for the jacket, longer in the back, I do use my bike clothing for skate skiing.

mtbr member
    Big +1 on the Endura overshoes. My feet haven't been cold since I bought a pair two years ago, and Endura replaced my pair for free when the velcro straps died.

Whenever I am debating to throw them on before a ride I remind myself that my feet have never been too warm during a ride and promptly put them on. I have yet to regret this decision.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RollingAround View Post
    Been riding all winter dressed in normal sweaters, jackets, boots, wind pants and things.
    All of that is much to heavy and cumbersome so I am now looking to invest in good, winter specific riding gear. I need it to be light as possible, comfy, thin, but I really hate any sort of chill while riding. I want to be able to ride a 18 degree plus day without freezing, yet wearing something light.

I looked online, but to you guys/girls...what is working for you?
    Any ideas are appreciated.
    This takes me down to -35 C

Shimano winter boots

Wool Socks

Normal riding shorts then normal riding long leg tights then large riding tights.

Thermal long sleeve tee shirt then light riding jacket, then a large riding jacket.

Balaclava, googles, and a helmet that covers my ears.

I have a pair of large two layer mittens.

I just don't put on the outer layers when it is warmer.

Members who have read this thread: 0