Will a setup like this teach me anything about doing Dirt Jump lines?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Will a setup like this teach me anything about doing Dirt Jump lines?

Basically a kicker of various radiuses over time that are setup at the top of an embankment or sharp hill. The area leading to the ramp is flat or slightly downhill. Hit the ramp and push the nose down to match the landing. Note the landing may not be as steep in the pic but probably at least 45 degrees or more.

Im trying to learn how to DJ before I go find a DJ line. Will this teach me anything or just be a risk?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will a setup like this teach me anything about doing Dirt Jump lines?-jump.png  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Without seeing the real hill/ramp ,that looks way to much. It you think about how high you will be a the apex ,you could be over 20 feet in the air . I would find a less steep landing and a smaller ramp to start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    You will have a blast, but start with a smaller jump off the top. a 2x4 for a lip is all you need to start. Do about a 13' drop and you will start landing half way down, then progress until your hitting at the bottom. if you go flat to flat the pressure will wash you out without good suspension.

mtbr member
    I think you have to make it out of dirt and wood, not MS Paint.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    A set-up as shown in the first post will teach you the various degrees of pain associated with learning how to jump a bike. In my opinion, investing time and sweat equity into building a a proper 2-1/2' tall tabletop jump will help accelerate your bike jumping skills while possibly minimizing your pain and the breaking of various body parts. Also, a byproduct will be acquiring dirt jump constructing skills.

If you choose this tabletop route, do not use any "fillers" (wood scraps, concrete blocks, rocks, washer machines, abandoned cars, etc.) in order to minimize the huge amount of dirt needed to build a proper tabletop. As you progress in skills, you will then be able to modify this tabletop into a camel-back jump, then a true kicker and landing. If you fill it with crap because you are lazy and want instant gratification, all you will receive is a tabletop that cannot be easily revised to keep up with your progress.

Good luck, do some research before you begin building, and be safe. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Will a setup like this teach me anything about doing Dirt Jump lines?-2.5-tabletop.jpg  

The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulder Pilot View Post
    A set-up as shown in the first post will teach you the various degrees of pain associated with learning how to jump a bike. In my opinion, investing time and sweat equity into building a a proper 2-1/2' tall tabletop jump will help accelerate your bike jumping skills while possibly minimizing your pain and the breaking of various body parts. Also, a byproduct will be acquiring dirt jump constructing skills.

If you choose this tabletop route, do not use any "fillers" (wood scraps, concrete blocks, rocks, washer machines, abandoned cars, etc.) in order to minimize the huge amount of dirt needed to build a proper tabletop. As you progress in skills, you will then be able to modify this tabletop into a camel-back jump, then a true kicker and landing. If you fill it with crap because you are lazy and want instant gratification, all you will receive is a tabletop that cannot be easily revised to keep up with your progress.

Good luck, do some research before you begin building, and be safe. Cheers.
    Solid advice right there.

Even if you can't build from dirt though, a wooden tabletop can work well too. Lots of plans available online. Learning on a tabletop set-up is much safer and far more relevant to actual DJing than simply sending it into space over a long slope.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    simply sending it into space over a long slope.
    but this will teach you how to make for great fail video content, and teach you how to hang out in the ER.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hopefully the OP just forgot to write “not to scale” on the crayon picture his child drew for him.

mtbr member
    It will teach you the absolute wrong speed for hitting dirt jumps!.....

Plus set the kicker back from the downface.

I think you just need to find a dirt jump park and go for it. Start small and work you way up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    Hopefully the OP just forgot to write “not to scale” on the crayon picture his child drew for him.
    Well I assume a certain level of common sense based on the 2 minute drawing I did but I suppose that is a wrong assumption

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I can only jump a few feet right now off the ramp, so it would be set near the start of the hill. As mentioned, the slope is a bit steep in the pic.

I honestly have nothing to jump except a BMX track which does not seem to welcome adults.

I live in Nebraska, where obesity is a hobby, not dirt jumping.

Quote Originally Posted by plummet View Post
    It will teach you the absolute wrong speed for hitting dirt jumps!.....

Plus set the kicker back from the downface.

I think you just need to find a dirt jump park and go for it. Start small and work you way up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Any skateparks around?
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Any skateparks around?
    Yes but the concrete impacts are much harder on my joints. Its also a bit of drive so looking for a solution I can do at the local parks.

since 4/10/2009
    in all seriousness, start with a mild tabletop and work your way up, as was already described. can throw it down in a flat yard and practice.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    That will buck you over the bars on the landing. If you want to do that type of kicker, do it huck to flat and put a 2x4 out in front to make it your "landing". Focus on the technique of pushing into the kicker, not sucking up the bike when it hits it. Go as slow as you can to force yourself to push hard to clear the 2x4. Once you can clear it, start pushing it out farther and farther. Take note of how far out you can go, as this will be how far you can take a real jump.

On a 1ft kicker, I can usually go about 8-10 paces out if I push hard enough. You can probably do the same in about a hour of practice.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.