Why the hell..............................- Mtbr.com
    May 2009

Why the hell..............................

do people buy bikes then change stuff that is not worn out or broken for like stuff that is new? I can understand pedals, saddle, stem. You know fit stuff but, cranks? Wheels? Brakes?

Just buy the bike the way you want it or build it from scratch. Better yet, learn to ride hard and brake the stuff then change it. I am confused?
    MUD

My weiner is 10.5".....Oh wait...I'm holding this ruler backward.

mtbr member
    Some people dont have the money to just go out and buy a bike with everything on it that they want...I bought a bike and rode for a while to see if I would even like it, I did and I could have maybe got replacement parts for my FSA crank but for less then $100 I got a good crank and BB and swapped them out. I don see anything wrong with that.
    Check out my blog! The WVPedaler...
    Founding Member of THUMB MTB Club

2016 Trek Top Fuel
    2015 Fuji Altamira Cross

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvnrbrts
    Some people dont have the money to just go out and buy a bike with everything on it that they want...I bought a bike and rode for a while to see if I would even like it, I did and I could have maybe got replacement parts for my FSA crank but for less then $100 I got a good crank and BB and swapped them out. I don see anything wrong with that.
    Nope but you did get it home, ridden and broken before replacing stuff.
    MUD

mtbr member
    True, I thought I would get a lot more out of that crank but after I removed it I found it was very cheaply put together...but then again a lot of things these days are like that. Doesn't that just blow?
    Check out my blog! The WVPedaler...
    Founding Member of THUMB MTB Club

2016 Trek Top Fuel
    2015 Fuji Altamira Cross

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010

... and if we just ... I'm glad they do!!

I just scored a Recon Air fork for $200 because a guy wanted an Argyle on his new Fuji. This bike has never been out of the trail. He night have test rode it for 5 min tops. I think I did pretty good.

mtbr member
    Upgrade-itis. I have it bad
    2011 Kona Dr. Dew
    2010 Giant Trance X2
    2008 Giant Rincon

mtbr member
    There is a substantial price advantage to manufacturers ... economy of scale. They spec bikes, and can offer them at less than the components would cost on their own. It is cheaper and easier to get a spec'd bike and change a few things instead of building it yourself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess some people like to customize their bikes...like some women buy
    new shoes when they buy a new dress.
    When I bought my last bike it was cheaper to buy stock/spec then to have
    it customized. Plus I had better components in hand.
    Then I turned around and gave my buddy components for his new bike.
    He then sold his new components and we went out for drinks.

mtbr member
    i changed out my perfectly good bontrager race seat post for a thomson just because i wanted a thomson. everything else was starting to wear out so new shifter cables (jagwire red), new hydraulic brake cables (again jagwire red), new skewers (blue halo's). the cables were a nice upgrade, and made a big difference. the halo skewers when i bought them were purely cosmetic, but man they made the bike handle completely different, and in a good way. i'm much more confident on switchbacks now, and as a plus, they're lighter than what i had before.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A from Il
    do people buy bikes then change stuff that is not worn out or broken for like stuff that is new? I can understand pedals, saddle, stem. You know fit stuff but, cranks? Wheels? Brakes?

Just buy the bike the way you want it or build it from scratch. Better yet, learn to ride hard and brake the stuff then change it. I am confused?
    Because we can. There are people that buy a car and immediately put different wheels etc on it.

And why would it be better to ride hard, use the brakes, then change it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    it's like any other hobby.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    why do people buy a car then change the wheels? because they want to. nothing wrong with that.

mtbr rememberer
    I dunno. why buy a brand new bike when you have two perfectly good used legs?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Heh, I know a guy who says multimedia is his hobby. He has put $15 Grand easy into his TV and stereo equipment. All just to sit on his couch. He's not ashamed of it in the least. Who am I to ridicule how he spends his money?

Actually that's what I'm doing right now. It's a tremendous waste of money and it's fun to point that out But it just goes to show - people can do whatever they want with their dough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007
    Because we can. There are people that buy a car and immediately put different wheels etc on it.

And why would it be better to ride hard, use the brakes, then change it?

LMFAO!!

mtbr member
    I don't have 4-5-6k to shell out on a new bike. However from time to time I get in some money like Christmas/B-day or off hours it work. I bought a decent ht from Moto to start out with then i bought a nice FS frame to swap the parts to.

With time i will update what i can to make the bike better/lighter like wheelset/tires, drivetrain, breaks etc. Its easier for me to spend a little at a time then shell out that much cash at once.

...and with the older stuff i can build me either a ss/rigid or a HT to have again

but thats just me

Religion = Non-thinking
    i upgraded the bars, seatpost, the saddle, fork (on old bike,) pedals, the tires, tubes, etc. And i am about to upgrade my wheel.s None were/are worn out. Why did i do it? because i can.
    Why don't you agree with me or can't do what i'm doing? either because you dont want to or you can't. idc.
    RH SL Pro

Religion = Non-thinking

you don't probably because you can't afford to
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Because they can and if people did not "try out" new parts by upgrading when they did not need to, how would i know what the good stuff was when the time came to replace mine?

We all have a purpose...

Professional Speed Bump
    Because most of the time, you can't get exactly what you want on a bike. Customization costs money and shops like wrenchscience.com allows a buyer to customize every single part on a bike but at RP and the bikes that they offer are of high end models that typically range above $1000 for just the frame only.

For lower budget people, there are models with prearranged component sets to justify each price increase within the lineup. So when you decide to purchase a higher model than the base, the amount you pay extra doesn't translate to the parts that you want upgraded. This is good for those who don't really care much about each individual component but bad for those who want specific upgrades.

For example:
    If I wanted to pay $100 more than a base on a certain bike, I'd rather not have the fork upgraded from Dart 2 to Dart 3...I'd rather have Acera comp group upgraded to a Deore comp group.

So, for me it would be logical to just pick up a base model then use the money I saved to upgrade exactly what I want.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    I forgot about the 1500.00 bike you ride. You sir are probably one bad ass cyclist. And definitely not a hipster.
    I just asked a question and you attack. I just get bothered by new cyclists thinking they have to change this and that to get out and ride. I dont really care just curious. Ride your bikes.
    MUD

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoon
    Because most of the time, you can't get exactly what you want on a bike. Customization costs money and shops like wrenchscience.com allows a buyer to customize every single part on a bike but at RP and the bikes that they offer are of high end models that typically range above $1000 for just the frame only.

For lower budget people, there are models with prearranged component sets to justify each price increase within the lineup. So when you decide to purchase a higher model than the base, the amount you pay extra doesn't translate to the parts that you want upgraded. This is good for those who don't really care much about each individual component but bad for those who want specific upgrades.

For example:
    If I wanted to pay $100 more than a base on a certain bike, I'd rather not have the fork upgraded from Dart 2 to Dart 3...I'd rather have Acera comp group upgraded to a Deore comp group.

So, for me it would be logical to just pick up a base model then use the money I saved to upgrade exactly what I want.
    Thanks to you and all who answered intelligently. Obviously that was above some peoples ability. I was just wondering, thats all.
    MUD

mtbr member
    like everything else i just could not leave well enough alone,it is a sickness!!!!!
    Last edited by 05kas05; 04-22-2010 at 05:17 PM.

May 2009
    You people are impressive with your name calling. Way to be a man. Your dad would be proud.
    MUD

mtbr member
    honestly some of my upgrades i did to lose a little weight some i did for looks and some i did because they function better than the factory part that i replaced.did i need to no,but i plan on taking the old parts and reusing them to build a beginner bike for my daughter
    once i find a used frame.or maybe i will buy another bike for her and do it all over again lol.only time will tell
    Last edited by 05kas05; 04-22-2010 at 05:30 PM.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 05kas05
    actually i was screwing around everything in that sentence is in your public profile you wrote it not me.dont worry i will edit it out i was being sarcastic
    Thats cool. I dont see any reason to brag about my stuff and you will never see me. I like to ride. Thats it. I dont understand why new riders feed the need or pressure to sink tons of bucks into their ride. I understand upgrades. Thats cool.

Heck to tell the truth my family owns and operates a very high end shop. I get my and bikes and you name it at at shop prices. I still dont upgrade. Cheepskate? I guess. I just ride. 5 days a week. Year round. Why, for the love of the ride. Being in Northern Illinois I will have 3000 miles of dirt and road by the end of the month. Get out and ride.
    MUD

Professional Speed Bump
    Thanks to you and all who answered intelligently. Obviously that was above some peoples ability. I was just wondering, thats all.
    No problem. Always here to help.

mtbr member
    As some here have said, it's a sickness that comes with any hobbie or interest. For me, I don't buy new but rather buy used and upgrade to my heart's content. I do, howver, sell the stock parts to offset the cost of upgrades. In the end, I actually save some money. Besides, I learn something new every time I tinker with my bikes. It's fun too.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    As some here have said, it's a sickness that comes with any hobbie or interest. For me, I don't buy new but rather buy used and upgrade to my heart's content. I do, howver, sell the stock parts to offset the cost of upgrades. In the end, I actually save some money. Besides, I learn something new every time I tinker with my bikes. It's fun too.
    Another honest answer. Fun. Not a necessity but fun. I can dig that.
    MUD

May 2009
    i upgraded the bars, seatpost, the saddle, fork (on old bike,) pedals, the tires, tubes, etc. And i am about to upgrade my wheel.s None were/are worn out. Why did i do it? because i can.
    Why don't you agree with me or can't do what i'm doing? either because you dont want to or you can't. idc.

Well Louissssssssssssss you are the only one that upgrades your bikes to impress me or because of me. Thanks. I am flattered.
    Last edited by tihsepa; 04-23-2010 at 02:21 AM.
    MUD

mtbr member
    people like mindlessly wasting money. its the cornerstone of american culture.

mtbr member
    We live in a "you need this" culture.

mtbr member

New question here.

I think the real question is....... Why the hell..........................

couldnt you put something of substance and meaning in the Title instead of filling it with useless periods........

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    There is a substantial price advantage to manufacturers ... economy of scale. They spec bikes, and can offer them at less than the components would cost on their own. It is cheaper and easier to get a spec'd bike and change a few things instead of building it yourself.
    This is true, BUT, say you want Elixir CR brakes. Have you seen how much FS with CR's costs? I havent found one for under 3500CAD. So you buy yourself the 2500 bike that you love, and spend 300 on buying Elixir CR's. A lot cheaper than buying the more expensive bike.

mtbr member
    I upgrade when my stuff wears out. But it also gives me something to look forward to, I enjoy working on my toys. I'm poor, so can only upgrade when I have extra $$$, but I also like having something that doesn't look like anyone elses. Its why my Kona is on its second paint job that looks nothing like factory haha

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike
    I think the real question is....... Why the hell..........................

couldnt you put something of substance and meaning in the Title instead of filling it with useless periods........
    I didnt need to. You can a bunch of other people read the thread.

I answered your question, now please answer mine.
    MUD

Religion = Non-thinking
    I didnt need to. You can a bunch of other people read the thread.

I answered your question, now please answer mine.
    we all answered your question: we upgrade our bikes because we have money. you're questioning us because you can't afford to
    RH SL Pro

May 2009
    we all answered your question: we upgrade our bikes because we have money. you're questioning us because you can't afford to

Thanks moneybags. Actually I wasnt asking you, so who is us? You got a turd in your pocket?
    MUD

May 2009
    Way to flex your wallet in front of the men.
    MUD

AZ
    banned
    Louisssssssss , what the fawk ? If you really think its about spending money your really missing the boat .

Religion = Non-thinking
    Thanks moneybags. Actually I wasnt asking you, so who is us? You got a turd in your pocket?
    by posting in a forum, you're asking everyone thats a member. you asked for an answer to why we upgrade our bikes and you got an answer.
    RH SL Pro

May 2009
    Not about spending money. Its about a new cyclist not feeling like he has to spend a ton of money on upgrades to have fun. Thats all.

Louissssssssssss just likes to flex his wallet to make up for whatever else. He is right though. I dont have a ton of money for upgrades. After the important stuff is paid for like, beer, hookers, chain lube, $hi* I wore out while riding, more hookers and beer, some food and partying. Dont forget about cycling vacations, ragbrai hotels, more hookers and beer. Viagra to go with the more hookers and help offset the beer weiner, riding, and sleep. Nope, not too much money for upgrades.

Did I mention I dont have money on account of the hookers, beer, riding and chainlube.

I did get a new pair of Assos bibs today. Does that count as a upgrade? My ass thinks so.

Are you happy now loisssssssssssssss. You got the truth. I am a broke loser that has a hell of a good time and rides alot. Dont forget the hookers.

Jackoff.
    MUD

mtbr member
    Not about spending money. Its about a new cyclist not feeling like he has to spend a ton of money on upgrades to have fun. Thats all.

Louissssssssssss just likes to flex his wallet to make up for whatever else. He is right though. I dont have a ton of money for upgrades. After the important stuff is paid for like, beer, hookers, chain lube, $hi* I wore out while riding, more hookers and beer, some food and partying. Dont forget about cycling vacations, ragbrai hotels, more hookers and beer. Viagra to go with the more hookers and help offset the beer weiner, riding, and sleep. Nope, not too much money for upgrades.

Did I mention I dont have money on account of the hookers, beer, riding and chainlube.

I did get a new pair of Assos bibs today. Does that count as a upgrade? My ass thinks so.

Are you happy now loisssssssssssssss. You got the truth. I am a broke loser that has a hell of a good time and rides alot. Dont forget the hookers.

Jackoff.
    so many possibilities for people to upgrade, yet you cant think of any... this sounds more of a case of "I feel my way is superior, and dont understand why others dont do as i do"

for some astronomical reason, you cant comprehend that somehow.. a brand new bike might not have components good enough for its rider. You cant understand how a seat post might not have enough setback? the handlebar might not have enough rise, sweep or width? how the tires might not fit the geographical condition where the rider is located? how the shock/fork might not dampen or adjust to the rider's liking? how wheels might not be light or strong enough? how cranks might be of the wrong length or not light enough? how brakes might not be powerful or light enough?

the reason most dont build a bike from scratch is because its more costly to do so than to bike a complete bike. People on budget constraints can upgrade one part at a time, and some choose to do so before the part is completely worn.. imagine that.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FLMike
    so many possibilities for people to upgrade, yet you cant think of any... this sounds more of a case of "I feel my way is superior, and dont understand why others dont do as i do"

for some astronomical reason, you cant comprehend that somehow.. a brand new bike might not have components good enough for its rider. You cant understand how a seat post might not have enough setback? the handlebar might not have enough rise, sweep or width? how the tires might not fit the geographical condition where the rider is located? how the shock/fork might not dampen or adjust to the rider's liking? how wheels might not be light or strong enough? how cranks might be of the wrong length or not light enough? how brakes might not be powerful or light enough?

the reason most dont build a bike from scratch is because its more costly to do so than to bike a complete bike. People on budget constraints can upgrade one part at a time, and some choose to do so before the part is completely worn.. imagine that.
    I specifically left off fit stuff and tires. Read the whole thread. I was asking a simple question that is all. Read man, read. If the components were not good enough and you swap them right away you bought the wrong bike. Thats the bottom line.

I am pretty much done here because now we are down to the bargain basement people with nothing relevant to add anyway. You all have a nice day and take loissssssssss with you.
    MUD

mtbr member
    I specifically left off fit stuff and tires. Read the whole thread. I was asking a simple question that is all. Read man, read. If the components were not good enough and you swap them right away you bought the wrong bike. Thats the bottom line.

I am pretty much done here because now we are down to the bargain basement people with nothing relevant to add anyway. You all have a nice day and take loissssssssss with you.
    i specifically mentioned the items you were so baffled by... you know, those wheels, cranks and brakes.. Read man, read

and youll continue to bang your head against the wall until you realize your way isnt the only way, and you stop trying to push your agenda on to others. Get over yourself. Let others do as they want.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I bought a bike. It had bottom of the line components, so I ditched the Dart 1 and put on a RockShox Recon 351 Coil U-Turn. The Darts post mounts were BOTH stripped, so that was a justified replacement. I put on Hayes MX-2s in the place of the MX-4s, just because I read reviews on the MX-2s, was impressed, then got both calipers for half the price of ones' MSRP. Put a Race Face Deus stem, Answer Alumilite riser bar, RaceFace lockon grips, Alivio shifters, and SD7 brake levers in the place of the generic bar and stem and bottom of the barrel Shimano one piece shifter/brake levers. And also put more practical tires on it. Next up is a wheelset, because I already dented one rim, and im going on a super nice trail tomorrow with my friend and I dont think those wheels will take the beating very well. LOL. The frame is good, so I'm not going to be upgrading that for a while. Im not going to upgrade things that still work. I also need a new rear derailleur (because I can buy the current one on WalMarts website....) and its kinda....uhhh...BENT. Go on to my profile and look at the pics of my bike. Actually go to the thread "Heavy Hardtails. Am I The Only One?" and loook at the first post of my bike, then the last pics of my bike. Big difference.

^That was longer than most essays I write in school :P

banned
    Apr 2009
    Okay, back to answering the original post--

Because when I am riding 'Alone' and am 3 miles deep in the woods, I want the best parts possible on my bike!

Have Cake and beat it 2
    why to people buy parts for their bikes. some people are serious racers and will do anything to save weight so buy top end parts to get what they want
    some people buy a frame then might upgrade a part due to preference on product, or its cheaper to upgrade one or two parts than to go to the next model up

TRANCER
    You ask why? I ask why not?
    Ride

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    You ask why? I ask why not?
    I have the answer to that. People have fun with it that all.

The bottom line is that is all I was looking for. Then I get loissssssss calling me broke and one psycho babbling about a agenda he perceives I have and on and on. I was just asking a question and got a answer. Thanks again.
    MUD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gjenkins@
    Word. Not to mention some bikes, like my Remedy 8, don't come as a frame only option.

Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

meow meow
    im confused, does louissssssss have a lot of money?

T.W.O.

That's may be why you ask the question!

Thats cool. I dont see any reason to brag about my stuff and you will never see me. I like to ride. Thats it. I dont understand why new riders feed the need or pressure to sink tons of bucks into their ride. I understand upgrades. Thats cool.

Heck to tell the truth my family owns and operates a very high end shop. I get my and bikes and you name it at at shop prices. I still dont upgrade. Cheepskate? I guess. I just ride. 5 days a week. Year round. Why, for the love of the ride. Being in Northern Illinois I will have 3000 miles of dirt and road by the end of the month. Get out and ride.
    Because you are involve directly to the retail side of things. In general, people want what they, don't/can't have. If you see up grades all the time, and can do it at bottom price labor free. Where's the thrill.

I don't know about you guys but the fun part of up grading is the shopping around, research, and interact with the forum members/dealer. Sometime the anticipation is more than the actual owning the part. Furthermore the New Bike/Parts Syndrome is addictive. So if I can afford it I'll get it, and since I have multiple bikes I've always think to myself, I'll just put it on another bike. It gives you the feeling of riding new bike-ish all the time. Who would want that.

I'm in a restaurant industry, we have high-end stuff, I can have filet mignon/lobster with truffles and 5 course meal 5 times a day as some of my customer commented, I did all that but it didn't last. I usually eat the most basic dish on the menu. We get tire of things we are closely involved with. Still different flavor every once in a while is a good thing, your profile said you own 7 bikes ain't that the same idea

No longer a hardtailkid.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    Because you are involve directly to the retail side of things. In general, people want what they, don't/can't have. If you see up grades all the time, and can do it at bottom price labor free. Where's the thrill.

I don't know about you guys but the fun part of up grading is the shopping around, research, and interact with the forum members/dealer. Sometime the anticipation is more than the actual owning the part. Furthermore the New Bike/Parts Syndrome is addictive. So if I can afford it I'll get it, and since I have multiple bikes I've always think to myself, I'll just put it on another bike. It gives you the feeling of riding new bike-ish all the time. Who would want that.

I'm in a restaurant industry, we have high-end stuff, I can have filet mignon/lobster with truffles and 5 course meal 5 times a day as some of my customer commented, I did all that but it didn't last. I usually eat the most basic dish on the menu. We get tire of things we are closely involved with. Still different flavor every once in a while is a good thing, your profile said you own 7 bikes ain't that the same idea
    I agree 110%. If I don't change something it gets boring, and I won't ride until I change something. Even if its something as minor as the angle of my saddle, or the position of the shifters or brake levers.

Andy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Also maybe people dont want their bike to look exactly like someone else's.

mtbr member
    I bought a new Cannondale Trail SL F5, rode it for maybe a month with the mechanical brakes it came with and decided for me, I wanted hydrolic brakes to keep more fingers on the handle bar rather than the brake handle. So for me, I dont have a lot of extra money, but saved up and made my bike more comfortable and safe to suit me. Best upgrade I have ever done so far, never regretted pulling off the like new mechanical brakes and putting on some new hydrolic brakes. Point is, why does it matter that people upgrade new parts for like new parts? We all have different needs and wants, and most of us bust our a$$es at work so that we can pay bills and purchase things to make us happy, and we all have a want to upgrade everything in our lives

T.W.O.

It's also part of theMtb culture

If you only need one bike, and the component on that bike would last 2-3 years, then every thread in the Beginner's Corner would be long and filled with people guessing how things would fit and work.
    Thanks to people upgrading parts we have more input on what's hot and what's not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and the part that got swap out some lucky guy can pick it up at a bargain

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Why break x part when you know you are going to replace it anyways, when you can just take it off without wearing out the same part and sell it to someone who needs it more than the trash can? Or why risk your safety with a $#!TTY part, when you can buy a really good replacement for that for a percent of the medical bills if that part fails? Check out my thread "Heavy Hardtails. Am I The Only One?!" and look at my bike in the first post, and then scroll down to my current pics. Which one would you rather ride?

Religion = Non-thinking
    nope, that's not the bottom line. I and the others that have upgraded their bikes just because will continue to upgrade our bikes for shits and giggles. I'll continue to buy and upgrade whatever i want and thats the bottom line.
    RH SL Pro

No longer a hardtailkid.
    The frame of the bike is the important thing. Anybody can go out and buy a bike with decent components on a sh!t frame. Thats probably what you, the OP, would do. Good components dont always make the bike, it's the frame that does that. But we do our research, buy a bike with a bullet proof frame in the best stock configuration we are willing to buy, then upgrade it based on RESEARCH we have done prior to purchasing some new components.

And why be ordinary? I would spend lots of money so I can avoid having the exact same configuration as someone else. Maybe you take the easy way out and don't learn how to tinker on a bike, but thats up to you.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    The frame of the bike is the important thing. Anybody can go out and buy a bike with decent components on a sh!t frame. Thats probably what you, the OP, would do. Good components dont always make the bike, it's the frame that does that. But we do our research, buy a bike with a bullet proof frame in the best stock configuration we are willing to buy, then upgrade it based on RESEARCH we have done prior to purchasing some new components.

And why be ordinary? I would spend lots of money so I can avoid having the exact same configuration as someone else. Maybe you take the easy way out and don't learn how to tinker on a bike, but thats up to you.
    Yah, you found me out. I am actually a homeless bikeless dude posting from a soup kitchen. You guys are sharp. Like wet toilet paper.
    MUD

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by AusMTB Orienteer
    or its cheaper to upgrade one or two parts than to go to the next model up
    Maybe.

(and I don't have an off-the-shelf bike myself. I do have a two year old bike that still has all the original parts I put on it, except for new brake pads.)

Never trust a fart
    None of my bikes are off the shelf. Both MTB's were built from bare frames. My road bike was initially spec'd with 105/Ultegra. Within 8 months, it was fully equipped with 2010 SRAM Force.

Reason for upgrade on the roadie? I don't like how Shimano shifts. Prefer the shifting action and ergonomics of SRAM.

THe biggest reason is because we can. If I have a few extra bucks lying around, I might treat myself to an upgrade. Nothing wrong with having nice stuff.

Besides, if everyone did what you are saying, everyone would still be watching TV on a 25 inch CRT, instead of a 55 inch Plasma. The 25 inch CRT works just fine, so you don't need a 55 in. Plasma. But people want the plasma TV's, and if they can afford it, good for them.

Its all about priorities and what is important to the individual. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, says, or does.

T.W.O.

Well said

Quote Originally Posted by dman624
    I bought a new Cannondale Trail SL F5, rode it for maybe a month with the mechanical brakes it came with and decided for me, I wanted hydrolic brakes to keep more fingers on the handle bar rather than the brake handle. So for me, I dont have a lot of extra money, but saved up and made my bike more comfortable and safe to suit me. Best upgrade I have ever done so far, never regretted pulling off the like new mechanical brakes and putting on some new hydrolic brakes. Point is, why does it matter that people upgrade new parts for like new parts? We all have different needs and wants, and most of us bust our a$$es at work so that we can pay bills and purchase things to make us happy, and we all have a want to upgrade everything in our lives
    It's more satisfying if you have to wait or save up for it. If I have 20K lying around for a bike the thrill lasted a few days, but with less than 2k the fun can stretch for months.

trail addict
    Maybe you would have gotten some more intelligent answers if your title wasn't "Why the hell........"

Ya know? kinda comes off rough, looking for an argument.

Just saying.

It isn't like 99% of mt bikers buy a bike and start replacing stuff the next day. Maybe you feel as if you see a lot of this because people on forums tend to like to share info about their upgrades (or brag, maybe).

In the grand scheme of things, the percentage of riders (even at the enthusiast level) who are spending on unnecessary upgrades is relatively low.

Personally, anything outside of a stem or tires or seat really only gets replaced if there is a good reason that I can justify to myself. It is my bike. I wouldn't expect anyone else to necessarily understand.

Just saying.

You know, I can't, for the life of me, understand these foreign cars with the loud-buzzy exhaust.... but I would never go on a car forum and ask, "Why the hell are you guys ripping off a perfectly good exhaust and replacing it with that piece of garbage (that you actually spent money on)?"

So you know, if you don't understand, maybe some day you will.... or maybe not. Who cares?
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    I love people who change parts often, they sell good stuff cheap on craigslist. Also the satisfaction and knowledge gained from building/upgrading my own bike are great.

mtbr member

Wow....this is about as lame as it gets. With all your money, go buy a personality and a nut saq.

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkeyDisco
    Wow....this is about as lame as it gets. With all your money, go buy a personality and a nut saq.
    Louis Wong is pretty much a pain wherever he shows up.
    MUD

T.W.O.

Is that the real name?

Louis Wong is pretty much a pain wherever he shows up.
    Or you are just being funny.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I bet Louisssss gets bullied at school, for being such a pain.

May 2009
    nevermind. That is him though.
    MUD

Members who have read this thread: 0