Who started MTBR and when did it get started?- Mtbr.com
    FIX IT YOURSELF

New question here. Who started MTBR and when did it get started?

Just curious....I've been lurking an contributing for a year now and the question just came upon me....Great idea whom ever came up with it.....Did the idea come come to mind when you were talking on the phone with your buddies till two in the morning talking bikes or something??? I love this site...Thanks

Inquisitive Lurker/Contributer/Member
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Working on my Drops
    i thought a couple of mtber friends decided to make a forum to chat. and it really got big.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Truthfully, MTBR is older than most people know. You'll occasionally hear from posters as they reminisce over the good old days (1997-1998). There was a post recently in the General Discussion forum that allowed you to view the site as it looked in 1998. It was very different!

However, don't let the high volume of traffic here convince you that anyone who starts a mountain bike thread is going to share the same kind of success. I don't know if you're familiar with www.yourmtb.com but it was kind of like the Myspace of the mountain bike world and they too discovered that this sport is a hard nut to crack by announcing they are shutting their doors at the end of the month. The founding company (Enthusiast Group) has a great article on what went wrong here:
    http://coloradostartups.com/2007/11/...-reflectively/

MTBR is credited with two factors that make it stand out.
    1) Longevity
    2) Search engine optimization- type anything to do with mountain bikes in google and bam there's MTBR
    Last edited by SlimTwisted; 11-15-2007 at 07:50 PM.
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

Jul 2007
    Welll here is the sight in November 11, 1996

http://web.archive.org/web/199611111.../www.mtbr.com/

Well that is what the wayback machine website says it is from.

And it states that the site was started March 12 and I'm guessing that was in 1996.

It is funny in the site description how it says he started the website because he liked riding bikes and the internet was a new thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    And here is that thread in the General Discussion I had mentioned:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354853
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

A wheelist
    MTBR was founded by Francis Cebedo and it came about when he was building up a bike and couldn't find any info on the 'net that compared bike parts. So he started mtbr and subsequently Consumer Review.

Check the bottom of this page to see all the other Review sites.

Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    So he started mtbr and subsequently Consumer Review.

Interesting, I always assumed CR came first and just added MTBR at some point.

Members who have read this thread: 2