Big Wheeler

Where have all the bar ends gone?

I'm the only one of my riding buddies that use bar ends.

I enjoy the added leverage for climbs and sprints and the added hand positions. I suppose I really only use them when climbing or sprinting although they have saved my knuckles on a few occasions.

Why don't more ppl use them? Is it a weight issue?

mtbr member
    id say weight, and a lot of risers have replaced the neccessity of bar ends; giving you a higher seated position for climbing. my guess, plus theyre ugly and and weight...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    My buddies and I used to laugh at how many times our bar ends would get caught on trees and we'd get thrown off our bikes.

Slowly but surely we all ditched them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Me, I still use them. I am an old timer though...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I cant go without them either. Mostly because I ride on pavement for 12 miles to get to my favorite singletrack trails. I use the bike for commuting, XC, and AM so I dig em. I have taken some dives after hooking a tree, and a uhhh.... trashcan.

mtbr member
    I use them on my general purpose bike. i use it for xc trails, riding bike paths with the girlfriend and commuting. I like the added hand positions and considering I am at least 5 lbs overweight, the bars ends don't make a difference. However, I will not use them on any of my more aggresive use bikes. I have seen them snag branchs and cause accidents. But I have also heard many claims of bar ends taking an abdominal core sample in bad crashes. The thought of that is enough reason for me to avoid them on anything I may take a spectacular crash on

wyrd bi ful rd
    20080320 yeti bar ends MTBR FORUM.jpg

i have to admit that they are really good for climbs, for a change of grip posture on long enduros and for sprints as the palm grip position is just perfect.

1 flaw ... the looks ... unfortunately it does not look good ... to me at least ... each his own ...

mtbr member
    id say weight and overall lack of coolness, though i don't see why

Newbie in japan
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    20080320 yeti bar ends MTBR FORUM.jpg

i have to admit that they are really good for climbs, for a change of grip posture on long enduros and for sprints as the palm grip position is just perfect.

1 flaw ... the looks ... unfortunately it does not look good ... to me at least ... each his own ...
    i got the same ones

not only do they work well, the stopped some pain in my shoudlers and wrists

One Gear
    They were a necessity 15 years ago when all of the bars were flat. After riser bars came out, they weren't needed to get extra strength climbing.

mtbr member
    When I first bought my current bike, a Diamondback Serento, I thought to myself I have to get rid of the bar ends. But here in Okinawa it seems that no matter where you go it is always up hill, so the bar ends are here to stay. I grab on to those suckers and pump. I love them now and will probably not get rid of them.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by zumez; 03-20-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Never trust a fart
    I still use them. Will continue to use them as long as they are avail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have bar ends on my trek 4300 cheapy mountain bike because it's my commuter bike.and I ride a few downhills/uphills to and from school and ride on pavement for about 3 miles of it one way.

I will never use them on a real trail bike though.

Just ride.
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I still use them. Will continue to use them as long as they are avail.
    At first glance of your pic, I thought the wheelset off to the left was propped up on your bar. That would make quite the bar end
    Yep.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i have stubby's on mine. bar ends FTW!

mtbr member
    I think it's still an XC thing. For the most part.
    And since more of the young guys (under say 25) are getting into the sport they are doing Downhill and Freeride, and virtually no XC... Hence you don't see em, cause thats no longer the largest trendy riding style. Instead you just see guys spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars on body armor instead.

wyrd bi ful rd
    if you are doing mainly downhill and freeride ... then i do not see the reason for barends unless you like to ride uphill ... but then again on my FS, i love to push myself to see if i can reach the top without putting a foot down and then enjoy the blast down .... and i do not use barends on it just because of the risk of snagging a branch or something.

for my HT which i do sometimes swap with slicks to go on the road ... the bar ends help with 20, 30, 40 or even 60 mile rides ...

No good in rock gardens..
    Much of it is a trend thing. Years back most bikes with flat bars came with bar ends. Then some people started fitting DH riser bars to their bikes - the makers followed suit as it made their bikes look a bit different over last year's.

For the most part, bar ends look stupid on risers - so they didn't put them on. Risers are now de rigeur on most bikes, even many XC racers so you just don't see bar ends.

As McDowell_Matt said, riding uphill (saints preserve us, yes UPHILL) and racing is not most people's thing, so risers I suppose are not a bad spec, and they do allow a good fit for many people.

I used to religiously use bar ends, but when I went to 100mm forks on my HT I found I needed a little extra width in my flat bar to control the floppier front end on steep climbs - so I lost the bar ends. And TBH I didn't notice much difference in climbing efficiency. Sometimes I wish for them back just to stretch out on at times however.

And I still run a flat bar - it's a matter of getting the right bar height for me, and also as I dislike the look of risers. They just look too "beach cruiser" to me, especially on an XC HT.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They are just as convenient as they used to be. It was just some guru that told his disciples, bar ends were not cool - and now you can see the result. Riser bars are not replacement for bar ends, as it is the hands position that makes the difference, not just stretching forward. Bar ends, chosen right and installed right, never get caught in shrubs, unless you already crushed into them and anyway have nothing to lose.
    By the way, even on my trail bike the bar ends are installed some 5-10 degrees down from the horizontal line.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Encierros
    I'm the only one of my riding buddies that use bar ends.

I enjoy the added leverage for climbs and sprints and the added hand positions. I suppose I really only use them when climbing or sprinting although they have saved my knuckles on a few occasions.

Why don't more ppl use them? Is it a weight issue?
    I used them back when I had narrower flat bars without much sweep. However, as I have gone to wider bars with more sweep, two things happened. First, I don't feel the need for them as much, as the hand position seems more comfortable. Second, even if I did want them, the wide bars put them too far apart to be very useful.

If, for some reason, I went back to narrower flat bars, I would use the ends again.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I ride a set of narrow flat bars with bar ends. I use the cane creek ergos, but that doesn't really matter. I enjoy the rubber so my hands don't slip if it's raining. I haven't had them catch a tree yet and mine are really small, they look like short bull horns, so I hope that doesn't happen to me. If they ever do catch a tree they're off the bike.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

wyrd bi ful rd
    the grips that i use is the ergon R1, the bar ends is not too long and yet still provide enough length with the ball of your palm on the edge of the 'flat bit' ... very well designed.

20080323 ergon R1 MTBR FORUM.jpg

Members who have read this thread: 0