I like bacon... (clyde)

wheelset upgrade question

I tried this in the Wheels and Tires forum, but got no replies in two days.

Currently, my bike has Bontrager Ranger rims laced to Deore hubs. I am thinking about upgrading to Mavic 717's laced to XT hubs (the ever-popular wheelset at BWW). Based on the info I've found, this will shave nearly 1 lb of weight. What I'm looking for is the benefits that come from less rotating mass and something that goes out of true less. I do mostly normal XC with small drops, the trails I ride don't have too much in the way of really rough rocky rooty stuff.

Will the upgrade be worth it or does it sound like a waste of money? This will be a Christmas present, so if I'd be better off asking for something else bike-related let me know. I've already picked out a set of new tires (IRC Mibro's), a 34T chainring, a crank puller, and a bashguard, along with some other things that I will ask for if I decide not to get the wheelset. I'll have to wait for the wheels anyway because BWW is out of stock.

My handlebar, stem, grips, pedals, seatpost, saddle, and fork are already upgraded. My derailleurs, shifters, and brakes work fine for what I do. I have a headlight and a computer. My tires are the cheapo Taiwan version and I've been using the stock platform pedals since my cleated shoes aren't warm enough for winter. If you're wondering why I put a new fork on it, it's because of a warranty issue and they are upgrading me to a Reba for free.

TL,DR: Is saving about 1 lb in a wheelset worth $230 if it's a Christmas present?
    Bike: '08 Trek 6500
    Color: Oreo
    Delicious...

mtbr member

worth

Biggest bang for the buck.Second only to shaving half the weight on tires.For that matter a pound of rotational weight is worth more than a pound of static weight.Removing a pound of static weight costs a bunch of money.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i have that very wheelset on my cannondale F3 and have no regrets....still perfectly true after 1 summer. very good for the $$. Only thing I'd say is the butted spokes are a little flexier (i'm 225) than the std ones.

Put liteweight tubes in too and you'll really notice a difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    "What I'm looking for is .... something that goes out of true less."

More important to staying true is having the spoke tensions set properly. The guideline is that the spoke tension should be at the rim manufacturer's max tension recommendation. Also it is important for the spoke tensions to be evenly balanced. Double butted spokes, brass nipples, and properly tensioned spokes will provide the strongest, most durable wheel. Of course brass nipples are heavier and add a trivial amount to the 'rotational weight' more than aluminum nipples but you do sacrifice strength and durability. DB spokes will also save a trivial amt of weight. There is no easy a, b choices but lots of preferences and tradeoffs.You have to choose what is most important to you.

I am running XC717 rims with Deore LX hubs and have been relatively pleased based on my XC riding style. Now however I have a bent rear wheel that was re-trued but with very uneven spoke tension. I'll be building as new wheel set when I finish collecting all the parts but am going to a heavier rim XM719 (more rotational weight) for the additional strength. I bike for exercise so am not going to get cought up in the weight weenie mentality. A little more weight means more exercise and is a healthier choice IMO!
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Based on the info I got here, the Shimano website, and BWW, I save a total of 441g overall which is 13g away from a full pound and only 74g of that is in the hubs. Combine that with a 320g saving if I go from my current tires to Mibros (nearly 3/4 lb), but I'll have to buy those myself which isn't too bad at $35 a set at pricepoint.
    Delicious...

mtbr member
    A decent wheelset was one of the best upgrades I made. XT hubs laced to Matrix Swami (old Trek in-house brand) rims. 12 years later, I'm still using them on my hardtail. My only advice would be to check the hubs and make sure their not too tight and they're greased decently if they're factory built.

Cheezy Rider
    I've run the XT/717 combo, nice wheels, and saving a pound for $230 is a pretty good deal, that's about 50 cents per gram saved, and most of it rotating mass at that. I say go for it, and while you're at it upgrade your tires.

mtbr member
    have you considered going tubeless? I recently thought about doing the 717s but did the 819s instead with King hubs. Super happy with the setup. You could still run the less expensive hubs with the 819s.
    :wq

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Quote Originally Posted by nachomc
    have you considered going tubeless? I recently thought about doing the 717s but did the 819s instead with King hubs. Super happy with the setup. You could still run the less expensive hubs with the 819s.
    Not sure if I want to go tubeless. It seems like more hassle than its worth. The main idea is that you get better traction and a softer ride with the lower pressure possible (since you no longer have to worry about pinch flats), as well as a slightly reduced rotating mass. The cost being a Stan's NoTubes kit, dealing with sealant, and having access to an air compressor. Either that or go UST which costs a lot and you don't get much of a weight savings. That's what I've gathered anyway.

At any rate, BWW isn't going to have the 717/XT wheels in stock for a while. I've decided to get other things. I'm going to get a set of Mibros, 34T chainring, bashguard, crank puller, and maybe something else. Any ideas?

I'll get the wheelset with my own money after the snow melts, so I can ride a few times with my old wheels, make the switch, and feel the difference to its fullest. I'm not sure it would be too apparent right now with 1/2 lb of packed snow in my treads, winter clothes on, very little traction, and a few inches of snow to plow through (now THATS rolling resistance).
    Delicious...

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Go for it. The Mavic XC717/XT combo is a solid performer. The loss of rotating weight can be felt the moment you turn those cranx. It's one of the best investments you can make, dollar for dollar. Upgrading my wheels transformed me into a weight weenie. you can really feel the diff....especially on the climbs. Have fun!
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPride
    Not sure if I want to go tubeless. It seems like more hassle than its worth. The main idea is that you get better traction and a softer ride with the lower pressure possible (since you no longer have to worry about pinch flats), as well as a slightly reduced rotating mass. The cost being a Stan's NoTubes kit, dealing with sealant, and having access to an air compressor. Either that or go UST which costs a lot and you don't get much of a weight savings. That's what I've gathered anyway.
    With the 819 rims, you don't need Stan's, depending on the tire you run. It is recommended though.

With tubeless, even at a higher pressure, you still get better grip. With my tubed tires at the same pressure as my tubeless tires, I've experienced increase traction and trail feel. Without the tube, the tire is just more supple.

It is a pain in the ass when you get a flat. Getting a tube in the tire with all the Stan's goop sucks, but it works as a temporary solution. You're right about sometimes needing the compressor, but my neighbor has on so it's not a huge deal in my case. If your neighbor doesn't have one, just get an adapter for schrader -> presta and go to the gas station, or your LBS, which ever is closer. Additionally, from my limited experience, I only needed a compressor the first time I mounted a tire. When I mounted a tire that had previously been shaped from use, my pump beaded it without any problem. I didn't think I'd like tubeless as much as I do, I just got a screaming deal on the wheelset so I went for it. I'm definitely a convert now.
    :wq

Members who have read this thread: 0