Wheel / tire size?

Printable View

• 06-20-2011
    theidi28
    Wheel / tire size?
    I have Mavic XM 317 disc rims that came with Continental Mountain King 2.2 tires. I'd like to switch to a wider tire up front for added confidence in hard turns/cornering, specifically the Mountain King 2.4. Mavic recommended tire size for these rims is 1.5 - 2.3 - anybody have these and run a 2.4 on these rims? 2.3 - 2.4 doesn't seem like a big difference and the tire looks to sit well on the rim - am I asking for trouble with the 2.4? Thanks.
  • 06-21-2011
    Squash
    Shouldn't be a problem. Mavic recommends tire sizes more from a performance aspect than anything else. Running wider tires on narrower rims can sometimes change or round out the tires tread profile. This can change the way the tread block contact the trail, move the cornering knobs further away so you have to lean more to engage them, etc. Basically the tire may not perform exactly as the manufacturer intended. Other than that, as long as the tire seats firmly on the rim, you shouldn't have any problems.

The only other area of concern is the fork. Most fork manufacturers have a maximum tire size they recommend for a given fork model. Just because you can stuff the tire between the tubes doesn't necessarily mean it's safe. Wider tires are not only wider, they are taller as well. The key is clearance between the bottom of the crown and the center of the tread of the tire when the fork is fully compressed with the tire properly inflated. If the tire doesn't have sufficient clearance and jams against the crown while your riding, that can be rather painful. So check it and make sure. With the fork fully compressed you should have at least 5mm of clearance between the crown and tire. This is a general check, some fork manufacturers use other methods to check so look up your specific fork and check the way the manufacturer recommends.

Anyway, as long as the tire seats properly and you've got proper fork clearance you should be fine.

Good Dirt