What's the SL3/SL4 in Specialized Roubaix Comp Carbon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2012

What's the SL3/SL4 in Specialized Roubaix Comp Carbon?

I'm a casual rider and I know nothing about bikes. I ride about 30 miles a week on the weekends. I had an older 26" Rocky Mountain Vertex 70 RSL, but it's giving me issues. I've been searching for a newer bike ever since.

Today I found a 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp Carbon for USD $900, and I'm reasearching to see if it's a good price. So I searched in ebay, and the ones I've seen have an SL3 or SL4, but the one being sold doesn't.

So what does the SL3/SL4 mean? And is this a good price for the bike? It was only used once.

Thanks.

Rent this space for $
    I have the bike. Specifically, the '12 Roubaix Carbon Elite SL2. Comp, Elite, Pro denote the component build of the bike. The SL2, 3, 4 denote the lay-up of the carbon they use for that particular build. In my case, the SL2 uses the Fact IS 8R carbon lay-up which is very strong but not as light as you what you get with the upgrade of the SL3 that runs 9R carbon and moreso with the 10R carbon of the SL4. The lighter the frame, the more $$ get thrown at it. Rigidity increases as well. Mine is 18# with XTR XC pedals. I don't need a lighter bike.

If the bike is really clean, $900 is a good deal, IMO. I was pleased as can be when I bought mine for $800. The Roubaix is an awesome touring platform and is very forgiving on the nastiest of roads. My Elite build had all SRAM Apex components as OEM build. I put maybe 750 miles on it real fast and then tore all the SRAM crap off and replaced the entire package with Shimano Ultegra 6800 including a set of Ultegra wheels. I bought it all from CRC the morning after Brexit was announced and my timing was epic. I paid right at $500 delivered , the entire component package, and another $300 for the wheelset. Unless I crash this thing, it will outlive me and I have a very nice road bike for minimal cash output. Curious to see how your's is! What component package is it running, 105?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the reply.

It says "Full carbon, full Shimano 105 10 speed". I'm not sure what "105" means. The seller says he used it once to test and never used it again, that it even has the plastic tags. It has all the factory components.

The one being sold doesn't have SL3, SL4, or anything else, just "Specialized Roubaix Comp Carbon"

Rent this space for $
    "105" is Shimano's component designation. For road, it would be an SLX quality of drivetrain for comparison to mtb components. Ultegra is XT equivalent, Dura-Ace is XTR equivalent. 105/SLX is a very respectable grade. Not uber expensive but good performance and longevity.

mtbr member
    FYI, Mtbr is not the best place for road bike i formation, but you're welcome to ask.

Rent this space for $
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    FYI, Mtbr is not the best place for road bike i formation, but you're welcome to ask.
    Actually, have you been over to the Road Bike Review site?It's a virtual potpourri of pretentious pricks that camp over there. The OP is bound to receive better and friendlier accommodations here at MTBR. I wouldn't return to the other site if they paid me. Some of the other road bike sites are very similar to the RBR. It's sad.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You can get a brand new 2016 Cannondale (alloy) CAAD 8 with 11 speed 105 brand new for $899.

Would I like to have the Roubaix frame more than an alloy frame?

Yes, but the new bike comes with a lifetime frame warranty, and brand new parts with a 1 year warranty on those. I wouldn't sweat the 10 speed vs 11 speed much. Personally, I might rather have the 10 speed so I can run a larger cassette with a mountain derailleur, but that may not be an issue for you.

A 2012 bike might have several thousand miles on the drive train, and that stuff is even more expensive to replace than MTB components.

So, whether or not it is even a decent deal depends on how many miles the bike has, whether or not it has been crashed, if the frame is not damaged, and how comfortable you are with the risk of buying a frame that you know nothing about it's history and it has no warranty going forward past the original owner.

It could cost several hundred in repairs which would put the cost of the bike up even more, and then you still have a used bike. If the bike is indeed a garage queen with very low miles (as the ad states), is in good condition and does not show signs of having been crashed (and it fits you properly), it might be a decent deal. That bike new, was probably up around $2000 +/- at full price, and might have been had on sale down around $1500.

The difference in cost of a Specialized carbon frame bike vs. an alloy bike with the same components is usually in the neighborhood of $500 to $800 depending on what level of quality of the carbon frame is.