whats the correct fix / prevention for severe leg cramping on trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

whats the correct fix / prevention for severe leg cramping on trail?

so I did some pretty fun but dumb stuff on saturday.

I played 2 hrs of field sport (sprinting as hard as i could on football field).

then right after game was over, I decided I would try my new downhill bike on one of my favorite trails.

Anyways, lets just say riding a 42 lb downhill bike up 3000 feet total vertical was a lot harder than I expected.

At about the top of the mountain, I got massive cramps in both my front lower quad muscles (right and left leg). Never had this in my life. Both of my legs were locked straight and immobile.

I lay on my back for about 10 minutes and they went away after i kept drinking water.

is there like a stretch, or a prevention or supplement or something that I can take to fix the cramps when they happen or try prevent them? (besides just getting physically tougher)

mtbr member
    Keep hydrated. Cramping is a physiological response to dehydration.

If it gets bad, there is a spray called cramp-stop which you can spray under your tongue which stops them pretty quickly. But keep drinking water.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    so I did some pretty fun but dumb stuff on saturday.

I played 2 hrs of field sport (sprinting as hard as i could on football field).

then right after game was over, I decided I would try my new downhill bike on one of my favorite trails.

Anyways, lets just say riding a 42 lb downhill bike up 3000 feet total vertical was a lot harder than I expected.

At about the top of the mountain, I got massive cramps in both my front lower quad muscles (right and left leg). Never had this in my life. Both of my legs were locked straight and immobile.

I lay on my back for about 10 minutes and they went away after i kept drinking water.

is there like a stretch, or a prevention or supplement or something that I can take to fix the cramps when they happen or try prevent them? (besides just getting physically tougher)
    Lots of stuff you can try....but

in order of effectivness

exercise within your capablities....increase efforts slowly.

stay hydrated....

get your electrolytes in balance...adjust the ph of your urine.

eat a banana..

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Like jeffscott said exercise within your capabilities. It sounds like the 2 hours of field sport + 3000' of climbing was beyond what you're conditioned to.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    electrolytes (sports legs, nuun, etc..) to help prevent cramps

you can also eat about 10 Tums - your cramps will dissipate in about 2 minutes..

drink pickle juice...or eat a couple mustard packets from MCD's for the same results...
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Is not amused
    + 1 for the pickle juice.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    Hydration is key but you may be lacking potassium, try putting a little salt on your water or get supplements. Hammer Nutrition's Endurolytes work really well for people with cramp problems.

Ride More, Work Less
    Sounds like a major imbalance in the body's chemistry. Pride aside, you need to be careful in cases like this.

Hyponatremia is a nasty condition that can result from endurance activities.

Water alone for hydration isn't enough, particularly for long activities with lots of sweating. You need the salts (electrolytes) to have muscle contractions. Pickle juice is high in sodium so it will work in a pinch. So do a few pretzels or tortilla chips. Obviously, a sports drink is best.

As a warning--there is a fine line between your leg wont contract to your heart wont contract.

Ride More, Work Less
    ^^^
    Didn't have enough posts for the link above--

Hyponatremia - PubMed Health

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If you feel it setting in, kneel/crouch down and lengthen those muscles and drink drink drink.

No sense having those muscles painfully lock up when lengthening them will almost certainly prevent it.

Just Ride
    downhill bikes are horrible for climbing. I know, I've done it on one and hated it.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    always stretch before and after rides, stay hydrated throughout, make sure you're well charged up in terms of rest and nutrition, and do not exert yourself !

most important is to listen to your body.. pain (as in the non-pushing-your-limits kind) is always an indication that something is wrong. powering thru pain might not always be a good idea.

Bicycle Radical
    The vast majority of cramps are caused by dehydration.