What would you upgrade on '11 Fuel EX 8?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

What would you upgrade on '11 Fuel EX 8?

If you had about a grand to spend, what would you upgrade on a '11 Fuel EX 8, if anything?

Former Bike Wrench
    Wheelset...a lighter wheelset with a higher engagement hubset. Many options out there. Can get significant upgrades starting at $400 with some serious premium wheels at $1K

mtbr member
    I would spend the money on a fork with a 15mm qr and have your front wheel relaced with a new hub. No point in upgrading the wheel set with 9mm qr...sorry, but that axle belongs on road bikes, not mountain bikes.

I went from a 9mm qr to a 15mm and there is no way I will get another bike with standard qr unless it's a road bike or a commuter.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Endothermic Cavewalker
    I would spend the money on a fork with a 15mm qr and have your front wheel relaced with a new hub. No point in upgrading the wheel set with 9mm qr...sorry, but that axle belongs on road bikes, not mountain bikes.

I went from a 9mm qr to a 15mm and there is no way I will get another bike with standard qr unless it's a road bike or a commuter.
    I'd say that step one is to buy a wheelset that is BOTH 9mm AND 15mm compatible and then next buy a 15mm fork. Unless a guy thinks he wants to go 20mm TA which drastically limits options - likely you'd need to buy a 20mm wheelset and fork together.

I just bought a Easton Haven wheelset which is 9mm and 15mm compatible out of the box.
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

Members who have read this thread: 0