What spoke wrench to get?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

What spoke wrench to get?

Should I start with a cheap simple multi spoke wrench, like an Avenir, and later upgrade to a set of Park spoke wrenches?

After I upgrade, I could put the cheaper wrench in the tool pouch on my bike.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    i would just buy the park wrenches to start with it never seems to fail when i try to cheap out on stuff like tools i almost always end up having to buy the good ones anyway for one reason or another. i would then get a multi tool for the bike i believe the topeak mini 18 i carry has two spoke wrenches on it plus everything else i would need for most trailside repairs.
    surly karate monkey
    surly ogre

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't carry a spoke wrench when riding. If you damage a wheel so bad that you can't ride back to a trailhead, a spoke wrench isn't going to help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Spokey - DT Swiss. Awesome tool, just makes you want to build another wheel. Light too, if you want to carry one while touring etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm a big fan of the Park spoke wrenches, and have used them for years and built many wheels with them. You don't need to buy a set, though. Just buy the one you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I generally only like to buy a tool once. Buy the one you like best.

Be careful using it. My early experience with a spoke wrench was costly (a set of Ringle Bubba hubs and Mavic 231 rims). I'll disassemble my entire bike without a thought but I tend to leave my wheels to a pro. A bicycle wheel is a delicate balance of strength and fragility.

Not trying to discourage you from learning the basics. Maybe you will become an expert wheelsmith. Just don't buy a spoke wrench and think it makes you a bike mechanic.

When I ruined my wheels I tightened up a few spokes and set off for a ride. Heard a little 'tink' and realized later my hub had broken. A couple days later, the other one did the same thing.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Generally speaking (for MTBers), get the black one from Park. If it doesn't fit your spoke nipples, get new wheels (kidding. . . . a little bit)

Park Tool Co. SW-0 : Spoke Wrench : Wheel & Spoke

or

Park Tool Co. SW-40 : Four-Sided Spoke Wrench : Wheel & Spoke
    Last edited by jeffj; 12-01-2011 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    jeffj - your mind reading abilities are great! After reading BadMechanics post I was just about to ask which size to buy.

groundoggy - Thanks for the advice! I never would have thought that hubs were that "sensitive". I just need to true my rim a little.

Thanks!!