what size frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what size frame?

i am 5'9" (175cm) with a 32" (81cm) inseam. i am going to buy a 26" Redline Monocog and i am not sure if i should get the 15" one or the 17" one.

Redline states that the 15" has a 72cm standover and the 17" has a 75cm standover.

the 15" frame would give me 9 cm of clearance and the 17" would give me 6cm. everyone i know that knows a bit about mountain bikes says i should get the 17" but that sounds kinda big.

your thoughts? might it be better to get a bike that's a little on the big side and get a shorter stem, or a little on the small size and run my seat high and a longer stem?

No good in rock gardens..
    Don't size an MTB solely on standover. The amount of times it's been an issue for me in 15+ years of riding is maybe once or twice.

You are a little taller than me, your inseam is about 1" longer. For myself I would get the 17" as the 15" would see the seatpost out all the way and I see the Monocog is only specced with a 350mm post.

Another thing to consider is that the specs show 170mm cranks on the 15" bike, and on a single speed you want longer cranks for more leverage and power. The 17" is listed as having regular 175mm cranks.

If the bike is going to be a trail bike I would get the 17". If you were more intending to use it as a jump bike etc then maybe the 15" would work for you.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    thanks, that's what i needed to hear. most of the guys at the lbs are roadies so i did not know if that was solid advice coming from them.

mbtr member
    it is.

If you're intending to use it as a jump bike, get a jump bike.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    5'9 with a 32" inseam..... maybe i am just some kind of freak but i am 6'3 and have a 32'' inseam...... oh well maybe its you who is the freak!

Members who have read this thread: 0