What next?- Mtbr.com

Thread: What next?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

What next?

Well, I've been hit by the mountain biking bug. I purchased my first bike this past August and I went riding as often as I could until the cold weather came.

My bike is a 2007 Diamondback Response Comp.http://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...=14&itemid=218
    I got this bike at a complete steal. I paid under $300 for it! Anyway, it is a 22 inch frame and I'm a little over 6'1" 245 lbs. I like the bike because it feels incredibly sturdy but my "boys" don't apprecieate the height of the frame! I was looking into one of the mission bikes from DB but I just don't know if my riding is that agressive. I'm debating a lot of issues of wheather to upgrade components, sell and buy a new bike, stick with what I have.....someone talk me into one of these options. How much could I get for my bike if I sold it in another 6-7 months? I have lbs's that sell DB, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Jamis, and Giant. Trading the bike in isn't the best of ideas because I didn't by my DB from a shop, so they probably won't help me out on a trade. Let me know what you think! Thanks
    Jon

mtbr member
    your lbs should accept trade ins but understand that they'll only give you 50%of what they can sell it for...

I post too much.
    You can only sell it for 50% of it's original value or less. I'd keep it around as a beater or a commuter. A 22'' bike at 6'1'' seems a bit tall indeed. Shop around and see if you fall in love with another bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You could just find a used frame and swap out the components.

pronounced may-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by corleone
    You could just find a used frame and swap out the components.
    Switching frames can be expensive. Many of your parts may not fit the new frame such as front derailer, seat post, bottom bracket, even the fork if the steerer was cut short. There are some good frame deals on the net so this may still work for you.

That looks like a nice bike. I bet you could easily get your 300.00 back by selling it. Then go buy a bike that fits. Do a budget for both scenarios and see what works better. But make sure the new bike fits.

mtbr member
    I've always found it more beneficial to part out a bike when selling it, but always buy complete. That usually works out to my advantage...upgrading a few parts is cheaper than buying all of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJ
    I've always found it more beneficial to part out a bike when selling it, but always buy complete. That usually works out to my advantage...upgrading a few parts is cheaper than buying all of them.
    I doubt many of my components on a $600 bike are worth all that much as separates. Also, I don't really know all that much about the components to sell them anyway. I'm a big fan of non mass produced bikes. What are some names that have a little above entry level bikes that are more of a speciality name.

Jon

pronounced may-duh
    whats in a name? it's all mass produced!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1283
    I doubt many of my components on a $600 bike are worth all that much as separates. Also, I don't really know all that much about the components to sell them anyway. I'm a big fan of non mass produced bikes. What are some names that have a little above entry level bikes that are more of a speciality name.

Jon
    you're not going to find one... boutique companies usually sell frame only...

Former Bike Wrench

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Pony up then

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1283

Jon
    Well, when your ready to pony up $3000+, then you can start looking for small batch, specialty bikes. Until then, its mass produced whether its Taiwan, China, Canada, or even the US of A.

I have a few buddies who have more $$$ than me who swear by their Foes bikes...if your looking for a specialty name.

Don't touch me!
    You can have more than 1 bike, right? Just build or buy a new one, and use the old one as a back-up beater. You'll learn a lot about how bikes work (if you don't already). Pretty simple stuff once it's all sorted out. Also, when your new whip needs repairs, you have the old steed ready to take its spot.
    No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

MCM# eleventy billion

No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I would love to have 2 bikes and it is still somewhat of an option. Money is the big kicker. I'm saving but lets face it. I'm a 4th grade teacher and I'm supporting a college student wife..... without trading or selling I'm not able to get much.

I suppose by mass produced I just meant mainstream bikes. I'm no expert to need anything "professional."

Jon

Former Bike Wrench

Good job! Here are a few less common "mass produced" bikes

Common:
    Trek, Gary Fisher, Specialized, Cannondale, Giant, Mongoose (thanks to Walmart), Schwinn (ditto), Kona (at least in the NW), KHS, Novara (REI bike), K2 (ditto, though sold through LBS as well), Raleigh, Diamond Back, GT

Less Common:
    Jamis, Iron Horse, Marin, [Rocky Mountain, Norco, Brodie, and Devinci are common in Canada, not as much in the US], Felt, Klein (almost extinct now thanks to Trek), Scott USA, Commecal

Of course a lot of it is regional based. An example is Kona, which is really popular here in the NW, but may not be where your from. The first five I listed are pretty much everywhere, after that I think it gets more regional.

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Craigslist! I've seen some smoking deals on used bikes on there. If you don't mind getting a used bike you'll get better bike for a much cheaper price. Sometimes they are really good bikes that someone bought because they wanted to get into riding but just ended up collecting dust in the garage. I'd keep an eye on there and I would be willing to bet that you can get a really good bike cheap! You could post your bike on there too.
    </robert> ::: B1KER.com - Be One

mtbr member
    I always post this, but if you're looking for a clyde worthy bike in the $600-$700 range, it's hard to beat the Novara Ponderosa (during the REI 20% off sale they should be having within the next two months). It's a fantastic hard tail. A little heavy, but most of the weight is in the lower grade fork (I have a J2, it's the DART now, which replaces the Jx fork line), which can be upgraded pretty easily with something decent from e-bay or CL. I'm 6'3, 230lbs and have been riding mine for a year now without issue
    :wq

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Seriously, I would go out and Buy a New 2007 Response Comp for $600.00 in your Correct Size at your LBS.. and Then just sell the one you have on e-Bay, Heck with the New parts or what ever.. Ebay is a wonderfull place to sell things like this..any hoo, this way you get the Right bike for your size and Weight.. and save ton's of hassel.. Just Man up and git r dun!

Members who have read this thread: 0