What do you guys think about this build kit?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

What do you guys think about this build kit?

Hey Gang

I want to upgrade my components.

Could you guys tell me what you think?

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...isc-Brakes.htm

thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    Looks like a good build kit. I have some SLX stuff on my bike (front derailleur and crank) and it's quite good. I've got Deore LX shifters, which is the line SLX replaces, and they're good. Price looks good - it would be difficult or impossible to assemble that kit for that price buying things individually.

Of course, a deal is not really a deal if you spend more money than you would just getting what you wanted in the first place.

What do you have now?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

keeping it dirty
    Not really a great deal in my opinion.. I put on full XT kit (chain, cassette, front and rear derailleur, shifters, crankset/bb) + BB5 brakes for ~$600, buying all the components at my local Performance shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

keeping it dirty
    That second one looks good.. Make sure you like the SRAM shifter style though (I don't).

Fat-tired Roadie
    I have Elixir 5s. Nice brakes, so far. The CR is the same thing, but with a couple more adjustments. SRAM chains and cassettes are perfectly good. Don't know the shifters and derailleurs too well, but they're a little different, as the above post mentions. The XT crankset is sort-of an upgrade - it saves weight, but part of that is an aluminum instead of steel small ring - the differences between it and the SLX are quite slight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys

What's the difference between an 11-32 and an 11-34 cassette?

We get titles?
    Quote Originally Posted by joekocur
    Guys

What's the difference between an 11-32 and an 11-34 cassette?
    The most obvious difference is that the biggest cog has 34 teeth instead of 32, which means your easiest gear is just a little bit easier, so maybe you can take out a big climb without dropping into your smallest chainring?
    Quote Originally Posted by trogdor
    I think everyone who wears a helmit should carry around an old crank arm, then when you see someone without a helmit on, give them a good wack in the head. That'll teach them to flaut their helmit-less noggins out in public.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'd have been in my granny ring for a while before shifting to my 34t cog.

I don't know if I can feel the difference, but some of the trails around here have steep, extended climbs that are difficult for me. I figure the bike's there to help me, so I'll go with it. I've spun my way past a lot of big, macho guys on big, macho bikes bouncing up and down on their big, macho front and rear suspension in their second ring, or their 1x9 setup. When it's a race, I usually don't see them again until after finishing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    I'd have been in my granny ring for a while before shifting to my 34t cog.

I don't know if I can feel the difference, but some of the trails around here have steep, extended climbs that are difficult for me. I figure the bike's there to help me, so I'll go with it. I've spun my way past a lot of big, macho guys on big, macho bikes bouncing up and down on their big, macho front and rear suspension in their second ring, or their 1x9 setup. When it's a race, I usually don't see them again until after finishing.

While you were checking out all of the "big, macho" stuff you were spinning past, are you SURE they were in their SECOND ring on their 1X9 setup?

Ride much?

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryJ
    While you were checking out all of the "big, macho" stuff you were spinning past, are you SURE they were in their SECOND ring on their 1X9 setup?

Ride much?

Before you blast someone, make sure you read their post correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch
    ... in their second ring, or their 1x9 setup....
    Read much?
    Nick Armstrong
    -Windsor Cliff 4900
    RockShox Dart2, Deore FD, Deore XT RD, TruVativ 5D, Alex DP17, WTB Velociraptors

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong57
    Read much?
    Nope.

The Pain Train
    Jun 2010
    Haha! I meant to throw the wink in there at the end, so I'm glad to see you took it as intended!
    Nick Armstrong
    -Windsor Cliff 4900
    RockShox Dart2, Deore FD, Deore XT RD, TruVativ 5D, Alex DP17, WTB Velociraptors

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My apology to Andrew. Nick, I guess I should learn NOT to post before I have had my full mug of coffee after a long night of drinking.

To the OP - either kit looks good, although you don't say what you are upgrading from (unless I missed reading that as well :-) )

Members who have read this thread: 0