what can i use to lube the chain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

what can i use to lube the chain?

what can i use to lube my chain because there arent any bike shops around my area and i dont want to waste time getting the real chain lube so what would be a good alternative.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruskyi121
    what can i use to lube my chain because there arent any bike shops around my area and i dont want to waste time getting the real chain lube so what would be a good alternative.
    What ever you do don't use wd40 or engine oil (you would not believe how many people I've seen do this, it makes a huge mess) If you have a silocone(sp) or teflon spray thoese two will work. If you are realily in a bind and are rideing in muddy conditions you can use melted wax (some motocyclists do it) it is similar to white lighting or icewax
    "Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Aug 2004

I use TriFlow myself, but you must use it in small amounts and not globed on. I have used Pedros IceWax (goodstuff).

Jan 2004

any motorcycle shops around?......

if you want to buy locally, and have a motorcycle shop around, try some of their chain lube and see how it works. Ask if they might lube the chain once before you buy, so you could see if it works ok for you.

mtbr member
    Also, Oshman's (and I am sure other sporting good stores) sell lubes. I believe I also saw some in Wal-Mart. Maybe not the best stuff, but I bet it is better than nothing.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

I'd order a good chain lube throught the web. Chain lube today is worth it- better shifting, quiet, keeps chain clean. The "oil" that I used to put on my BMX bike as a kid just gets gunked up and black, the synthetic stuff of modern lubes really works great and preserves the chain and your other drivetrain components.
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    if you want to buy locally, and have a motorcycle shop around, try some of their chain lube and see how it works. Ask if they might lube the chain once before you buy, so you could see if it works ok for you.
    Beware with that as many motorcycle riders DO use WD-40 (myself included) on their chains. Motorcycle chains and bicycle chains are nowadays totally different, I don't think there are many motorcycle chains in use that are not made with o-rings. Basically they're lubed for life all you need to do is clean them (hence the WD-40...).

For a bicycle you can try a 1 to 1 mix of 30W oil (yes, motor oil, just get the cheap single-weight one) and mineral spirits. The mineral spirits will make it less messy.

Also, always lube a chain from the inside, not the outside. Inertia will fling that lube off if you lube from the outside, and conversely it will distribute it better if lubed from the inside.

HTH,

Maurice

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice
    For a bicycle you can try a 1 to 1 mix of 30W oil (yes, motor oil, just get the cheap single-weight one) and mineral spirits. The mineral spirits will make it less messy.
    Synthetic motor oil and mineral spirit has a huge following with Roadies. There been a lot post about it on RBR. The recommended mixture is 1 part motor to 3 or 4 part mineral spirits. I think a 1 to 1 mixture might be a little to thick and will not work its way into the rollers and pins (where the lube is really needed).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All I ever use is Dripless OIl from NAPA. It's like $3 a bottle.

A wheelist
    I use a 50/50 mixture of synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits on both my road and mtb. Get a liter of each and now you have two liters of chain lube for less than the cost of one dinky bottle of the latest magic lube. Mix them in one of your old chain lube bottles so you have the benefit of a drip spout.

The mineral spirits is just a paint thinner (or oil diluter in this case) which thins the engine oil so that it can penetrate into the insides of the chain. It then evaporates leaving the original oil behind. As chain lube is only any use when it's inside the chain and picks up too much dirt when it's on the outside of the chain, here's how I lube my chain.

1. Drip one drop of lube per roller on the top of the bottom run of chain. Try to spread it across the roller from side-plate to side-plate so that it has a chance to get down inside the chain.
    2. When you've gone around the whole chain, run the chain backwards through clean dry rag to try to remove as much lube as possible from the outside.
    3. Let the lube dry overnight and repeat step 2 before your next ride.

Forging Elite Awesomeness
    Your profile says your from toronto, no bike shops in your area? Look around the corner

BTW you can use anything as a lube in a pinch, but if you do you run the risk of gunking-up, rusting, and ruining your drivetrain. Get the real stuff...it'll be cheaper in the long run.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Currently I'm using Trek chain lube as I have some left and want to finish the can (it was kinda expensive when I bought it)... But I think so far the best I've found that's cheaper than chain lube from a bike shop is G96 gun lube. Yes it's clean and when you pedal you can feel that your drivetrain is super smoove (last about 3 rides for me)...

Since you're from Toronto, you can get an aerosol can of G96 gun lube for around 6 to 10 bucks CAD depending on size at Le Baron outdoor gear store which is on Woodbine Ave. south of Hwy 7 in Markham. I think G96 is made by some company down at New Jersey.

mtbr member

Use the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Upandatem
    Your profile says your from toronto, no bike shops in your area? Look around the corner

BTW you can use anything as a lube in a pinch, but if you do you run the risk of gunking-up, rusting, and ruining your drivetrain. Get the real stuff...it'll be cheaper in the long run.
    Since you say there are no bike shops, just mail order some. There's a reason that your chain needs lubed with the right stuff.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I've been using BelRay SuperClean motorcycle chain lube. It is designed for o-ring or standard chains. It doesn't fling off, shifts smooth, and is easy to apply. Not to mention I have a case of it.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    I use a 50/50 mixture of synthetic motor oil and mineral spirits on both my road and mtb. Get a liter of each and now you have two liters of chain lube for less than the cost of one dinky bottle of the latest magic lube. Mix them in one of your old chain lube bottles so you have the benefit of a drip spout.
    I've been planning to try out the homebrew stuff as soon as I'm done with the prolink bottles I have. Is there any advantage with the 50/50 mixture that you're using compare to the 25/75 that guys on RBR are suggesting?