What to buy, what to pay- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

What to buy, what to pay

Alright, so here's my deal.

I just moved to New Zealand from MN, along with me came my trusty cross bike. One of the benefits of New Zealand is that I now live a 5 minute ride from a large mountain biking park... on an actual (small) mountain. Unable to resist temptation, I hopped on my bike and went exploring... only to discover that 80% of the trails are beyond my abilities or the abilities of my cross bike. Thankfully I was smart enough for this not to be a very painful discovery.

So, I'm in the market for a mountain bike, but (coming from MN) have very little knowledge to work with. This (hopefully) is where you come in. I want a bike to develop some skills and eventually do some moderate downhill on.

Alrighty, so I know the basics of road-bike components, but mtb components are new to me. So what I need to know... hardtail vs. full suspension, what's worth paying for, what's not. What's the right amount of bike for me (cost wise) and what I should/shouldn't compromise on?

My LBS is having an end of summer sale and the bike suggested by them was a 2007 GT Avalanche 1.0 (like this, but with an XT rear derailleur: http://www.kiwivelo.co.nz/product_de...asso?proId=842) for the equivalent of $700 US. I've noticed bikes are pricey here, so I'm wondering if I can do much better if I have a friend bring something from the states.

Anywho, thanks for your thoughts.

Sam

---Edit
    sorry, just realized there is a whole forum for this... also I'm 26 / 5'8" / 160lbs
    Last edited by owleabf; 03-20-2007 at 02:36 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0